Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to consider this excessive?

(72 Posts)
Scribbles Mon 22-Feb-21 12:32:49

I needed new knickers. My local M&S didn't have the style/size I wanted so I ordered online. They've just arrived.
Inside the plastic bag they travelled in were four pairs of pants, each neatly slotted on to a little plastic clothes hanger. Each hanger bore a folded card bearing details of the garment - style name, size, photograph, price and some selling points.
Each garment had a cardboard tag, attached with one of those aggravating plastic toggle things, bearing the bar code, product number, size and other information plus, each garment also had an adhesive sticker attached, approximately the size of a 2p coin, reading ,"I'm in the knicker deal”
And, just in case I was in any doubt about what I had bought, each garment had its size, product numbers, branding and laundry instructions screen printed on it!

Maybe months of lonely house-arrest is getting to me and small things are looming too large in my mind but .... where, for goodness sake, did the notion of putting knickers on hangers arise? It's ludicrous. And why so much repeated product information? It's not necessary; it's irritating and it's all adding to the tide of plastic detritus that is covering the planet.

Dottynan Wed 24-Feb-21 10:36:49

Please don't worry about things looming large in your mind. My daughter has been invaded by a load of unicorns. It is hilarious what they get unto each day. It distracts from being in lockdown. Big knickers, unicorns anything to make us all smile

grandtanteJE65 Wed 24-Feb-21 10:22:13

All that packaging cannot help the environment, can it?

Underwear is hung up on those hangers in the shops, which is fine as it looks nicer than a heap of garments others have picked over on a counter.

Taking them off before sending the goods takes a couple of seconds, but time and money experts count those, although you would think the hangers being there would increase the price of postage.

So I agree, the packaging is unnecessary and telling you once what the garment is made of and how to wash it (as if we didn't know) should be enough.

Madley Wed 24-Feb-21 09:52:08

JaneJudge I complained to M&S regarding screwed up T shirts which looked as if they’d been used as packaging. They sent me a £5 gift voucher but I’d prefer a nicely folded garment to buy.

Scribbles Tue 23-Feb-21 22:23:04

glammagran, I think those tiny circles identify the quality control inspector who passes the garment as satisfactory. That's generally a random check, which is why not every item has one. But, i agree, they are irritating, especially when you haven't spotted one and it manages to detach itself from the garment and attach itself to your skin instead! (Thinks: must check those pants for little circles...?)

LADYSMITH54 Tue 23-Feb-21 22:06:59

This happened to me and I rang them . They said to print out my order and send it back . I got a refund .

Blossoming Tue 23-Feb-21 22:06:33

Elvis58 I found that too! I’ve had no choice but to order some things online and it drives me mad the amount of packaging waste.

Elvis58 Tue 23-Feb-21 21:56:00

We are all being encouraged to internet shop but the excess packaging is so wasteful.l ordered 3 body lotions and a nail polish in the first 3 weeks of the first lockdown, the body lotions came in a box , no polish.Phoned company informed it came from a different warehouse it duly arrived wrappped in copious amounts of bubblewrap in a box the size of 2 shoe boxes for 1 nail polish!

Yorki Tue 23-Feb-21 21:45:31

Scribbles... I quite agree , it's ridiculous and annoying.

DanniRae Tue 23-Feb-21 19:26:19

I am not ordering anything on line from M&S anymore unless I am sure I won't need to return it. I am so confused by the returns process - and my printer isn't working - that my daughter took the last thing I needed to return to do it for me!

glammagran Tue 23-Feb-21 18:10:37

You are so right Scribbles. I buy my pants online from M&S and the packaging is exactly as you describe. Drives me mad too. You didn’t mention the tiny little stick on circle with a number on the sewn in label which also needs extracting (which I assume is the number assigned to the worker).

Lewie Tue 23-Feb-21 16:46:13

vampirequeen love it!

widgeon3 ?

Calender37 Tue 23-Feb-21 15:32:37

On the subject of hangers would it be a good idea, especially for the environment and recycling, if M&S stopped giving hangers with purchases unless the customer specifically asks
for them. I have a mountain of their hangers, accumulated in the past, and even offering them to charity shops met with rejection. When lockdown allows they will all go to the waste/recycling tip for disposal. Multiply that by the number of M&S customers equals an awful lot of waste. And yes, although I have not been able to visit any shop since the beginning of the pandemic, I do agree with the comments expressed about unnecessary packaging and labelling. Maybe I’ve just lived too long - what did we do in the dim and distant past, in the days of paper bags and no plastic!

widgeon3 Tue 23-Feb-21 15:19:01

a bit off topic
Husband last bought M&S underpants years ago ( He is quite normal as I've seen over the years and father of several)
He said they were so uncomfortable that the only way he could'Use them up' was by wearing them back to front.

BigBertha1 Tue 23-Feb-21 15:18:22

When we do go back to the shops do you think the level of service will have improved? Do you think customers will be valued more than they were in the past?
I'd love to join in the animal references (so clever and funny) but my brain isn't working today sorry.

vampirequeen Tue 23-Feb-21 15:02:51

I think the monkeys are the problem. None of them take the job seriously. The rhesus monkey is just so negative and depresses the blue monkey. The squirrel monkey keeps squirreling things away so the others can’t find them and the howler monkey thinks this is hysterical. The spider monkey wildly runs here and there so never finds what it’s looking for. This is probably due to exhaustion due to lack of sleep caused by the noisy night monkey. The proboscis monkey is too busy being nosey to get anything done and the gibbon is just too funky to do any work at all.

helgawills Tue 23-Feb-21 14:50:40

Once we're able to go back into the stores, we need to tell the staff how we feel. It's difficult when you have to shop online, but seeing people face to face, politely, of course, could make a difference, if enough of us do it.
Enjoyed the thread, but this is a vital issue.

Keeper1 Tue 23-Feb-21 14:41:01

I think the foxes are to blame trying to discredit the work done by badgers and don’t get me started on monkeys

chazwin Tue 23-Feb-21 14:39:38

It is a damned disgrace.
You should complain to them and ask for their reasons. Please encourage others to BOYCOTT M&S.

Tell them you are going to tell others to not buy from them.

Nannapat1 Tue 23-Feb-21 14:37:23

Agreed YANBU. Had 2 pairs arrive yesterday from the very same store so know exactly what you mean!

handbaghoarder Tue 23-Feb-21 14:21:38

Cant follow those really. Made me LOL. Just to say I have found Boots and Amazon totally OTT on parcel packing. And M&S waste all the labels and hangers then stop including order summary/ return slips. You have to download them off internet. Fine if you are computer literate/ have access to pc and printer, not so much if you dont.

Mauriherb Tue 23-Feb-21 14:14:59

Those little plastic toggle things drive me mad and they are totally unnecessary. Way too much unnecessary packaging and labelling used lately despite all the warnings

Harmonypuss Tue 23-Feb-21 13:59:25

I but my knickers in tesco or asda and they come on plastic hangers but I remove them from the hanger before leaving the store and leave it for them to dispose off or re'use, I don't need all this extra unwanted plastic in my life.

Alioop Tue 23-Feb-21 13:37:23

Never mind the Badgers, I think sloths are doing the deliveries. Takes ages for stuff to arrive. I got a message from a high street store to do a click and collect, but I hadn't ordered anything so I checked back to find the order number and it was one I did back in Nov, that they had to replace, it had finally arrived!

annodomini Tue 23-Feb-21 13:27:19

The two packs I bought two years ago (M&S) are still going strong through frequent washes. I was thinking about replacing them as they seem to be getting too...big!

Happyme Tue 23-Feb-21 13:04:02

No doubt one of the daily press will send in a mole to dig up the dirt on them DanniRae