Gransnet forums

AIBU

Wobbly legs...my fault!

(65 Posts)
Glenfinnan Thu 04-Mar-21 09:06:49

When I get up these mornings my legs feel wobbly! I have had every intention of walking everyday during this pandemic but haven’t done it! So now suffering the consequences! So today I’m starting a walk every day! Use it or lose it!

Grammaretto Wed 28-Apr-21 09:34:53

When DH was ill in the Summer a friend asked me to join her for a walk which was quite short and not every day but gradually it has built up so now we go almost every day and what began as a struggle, is now easy.
We carried on through the worst winter weather.
It saw me through his final illness, and even though gyms are open again and even swimming pools, you cannot beat being out in nature. A wonder drug!

NannyJaneAnne Wed 28-Apr-21 08:25:57

If you want to join other women walking there is a Women's Refuge Walking Challenge in May. Women from all over the UK are promising to walk 10k steps every day in May and donating to Women's Refuge. Great cause. Lots of the women have used the refuge in the past and their stories are really moving.
m.facebook.com/groups/921947465282687

Spinnaker Sat 06-Mar-21 08:45:12

maydonoz

Spinnaker, I've been wearing New Balance trainers for at least 3 years now, a d fi d them very comfortable. In fact my GP recommended them to me when I was first diagnosed with osteo arthritis. Now you reminded me I need to buy new ones when the shops are open.

Many thanks maydonoz flowers

Hetty58 Sat 06-Mar-21 08:44:23

ReadyMeals, do ask for help with getting to your Covid jab appointment - or ask for a home visit, as I'm sure they'd accommodate the 'temporarily housebound' too!

Aveline Sat 06-Mar-21 08:24:28

Bad luck Callistemon. I hit 10,000 steps yesterday at last and felt like an Olympian! I doubt I'll manage as many today but I'll try.

Callistemon Fri 05-Mar-21 19:34:59

Ps but my back was really painful afterwards

Callistemon Fri 05-Mar-21 19:34:24

Barmeyoldbat

At the moment walking up and down the stairs I don't know how many times in a day is about the most exercise I get. I am still cycling twice a seek but not so far as usual. Once this blasted back pain has gone then I shall do more.

I've gone up and down stairs several times today as well as sorting out some rather heavy boxes.
Does that count?

Spidergran3 Fri 05-Mar-21 19:28:52

I’ve got arthritis in my hips and spine and have been VERY lazy during this lockdown. One hip really plays me up at night if I do too much. Anyway, I’ve just dusted off my Fitbit and am determined to try and build up my walking distance. This thread has been very encouraging so thank you all.

maydonoz Fri 05-Mar-21 18:41:00

Correction : and find

maydonoz Fri 05-Mar-21 18:39:48

Spinnaker, I've been wearing New Balance trainers for at least 3 years now, a d fi d them very comfortable. In fact my GP recommended them to me when I was first diagnosed with osteo arthritis. Now you reminded me I need to buy new ones when the shops are open.

grannybuy Fri 05-Mar-21 17:11:32

A poster was asking about suitable walking shoes. I wear Ecco Biom shoes. They're probably the most comfortable shoes that I've ever had.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 05-Mar-21 16:54:29

At the moment walking up and down the stairs I don't know how many times in a day is about the most exercise I get. I am still cycling twice a seek but not so far as usual. Once this blasted back pain has gone then I shall do more.

Coyoacan Fri 05-Mar-21 16:16:52

I've found that nowadays if I stop walking for a few days I lose condition and walking seems like too much trouble. But it is really important for our health, helping to keep osteoporosis at bay, among other things.

yogagran Fri 05-Mar-21 15:57:44

I walk twice a day, every day, rain or fine. I love it and I really need to do it. The dog comes too and he seems to enjoy it as well. It's something I've always done and love being outside in the changing seasons and weather. Just doesn't feel right if there's a reason that I can't get out

Callistemon Fri 05-Mar-21 15:42:42

ReadyMeals I can sympathise re the hip and back, the more I think I should walk more the less I want to because of the pain.

I don't know where you live but I did see on the news that in at several areas, taxi services are offering transport to take people for their vaccines free of charge. Taxis are cleaned in between passengers and the drivers are wearing masks. I think it is run by a local charity. It might be worth enquiring of your local Covid help group.

Aveline Fri 05-Mar-21 15:28:25

Very good point about the stairs Jillybird. Great exercise. Do you listen to anything whole you're walking? That really helps. I've listened to various books but currently listen to comedy panel shows as I trudge around.
Today we drove to a different part of town and walked around the quiet streets there and looked at the lovely posh houses and chose which one we'd have when we won the lottery. A good distraction.

Jillybird Fri 05-Mar-21 15:23:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vampirequeen Fri 05-Mar-21 15:11:21

Download an app such as MapMyWalk. It records how far you've walked. It's a fun way of increasing your distances.

Greenmeadow Fri 05-Mar-21 14:43:12

Yes please. I’d love the video link. I walk a bit but feel I need a bit more...

Thank you

ReadyMeals Fri 05-Mar-21 14:35:08

Since the first lockdown last year, my hip and back have "gone" (probably cos I put on loads of weight without noticing I was eating more and exercising less). Walking around seems to make it worse not better. I am meant to go for a covid jab but the nearest place is one third of a mile, and I could probably walk 100 metres at the most. We don't have a car and the only person I know with one is clinically vulnerable themselves and really doesn't want me in close contact in their car. Having not seen a single person except my husband in a year I don't really want to risk a taxi or other shared transport. Home visits are offered for housebound only, and I am not technically housebound. What does one do? I'd pay a private doctor service to visit but they're not allowed the vaccine. So annoying!!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 05-Mar-21 13:11:57

I have no problem walking, but doing exercises at home is another kettle of fish!

A week ago, I started regular excercises for my neck and shoulder muscles, due to a problem focussing my left eye.

I don't yet know if they are helping the eye, but my self-esteem is growing daily, and my stiff neck is much less stiff.

So go for it -whether walking or something else.

Cathymac Fri 05-Mar-21 13:07:37

Glenfinnan. Well done on making a start . Half an hour is great . I am missing my weekly swim. Can’t wait for swimming pools to open again. I try to walk every day for about 45 minutes , but I am getting bored with the same old walks.

Cycorax Fri 05-Mar-21 12:58:42

Do walk as much as possible. Get a pair of really comfortable walking shoes and go for it. If you can find a friend to walk with you it will be even more enjoyable. And you'll really enjoy looking at horizons rather than your own four walls

aonk Fri 05-Mar-21 12:42:58

I do walk most days but like others it does get rather boring. I like a walk with a purpose and will post a letter in the furthest post box! My DH and I do a Joe Wicks workout most days. We do the ones for Seniors. They’re hard enough! It does help you to get mobile and improve your balance.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Fri 05-Mar-21 12:38:12

I've upped my steps this last two weeks after ensuring I walk my dogs at least 3 times a day. Since October I have lost nearly two stone and that's just from walking a bit further. My job is fairly sedentary so once back in April will have to shorten the am walk but the nights will be lighter so pm walks will be longer. So glad I have my dogs they make me get my bum off the sofa and out of the house ?‍??‍?