Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think this is Cyber Stalking?

(87 Posts)
seastar Thu 08-Apr-21 21:08:43

Just want to run this past you all in case I'm being over sensitive.

The man next door has always been a bit creepy. He watches me when I'm in the garden weeding from behind a curtain in his upstairs window. He'll do this all the time I'm in the garden and it makes me feel uneasy. His wife watches me from behind the front room curtains. They are intensely private and they hate it when someone knows what they are doing. I can't confront them as they have become extremely aggressive in the past and they don't talk to anyone. If they see me they hide until I have gone. My husband died about 2 years ago and the lady next door gave me a big hug but now it has gone back to normal.

I received a message from Linkedin which said that my profile had been looked at. Usually it is people I don't know but yesterday I discovered that it was the bloke next door. I've deleted my profile now. I feel invaded especially as the man is very creepy and watches what I am doing. He has always done this and his wife has always watched from the front. I find it creepy. Am I being over sensitive?

EmilyHarburn Sat 10-Apr-21 18:29:43

just a thought - why not get a male Full Body Mannequin; Body Full Body Tailor Dummies Dummy for Shop Window Display. Dress it in your husband's clothes and stand it up near the fence with a pair of binoculars in its hands apparently looking up at the window. At night swap the binoculars for a torch. Train a CCTV camera on it and record what happens.

Yorki Sat 10-Apr-21 01:36:49

Forest flame.. That's where I went wrong, I Confronted them and it just got worse.

Yorki Sat 10-Apr-21 01:34:54

Brilliant idea.. Biker gran, I'd also get one sticking up 2 fingers, surely these people must know its wrong to behave in such a creep manner. It's not normal behaviour,

Yorki Sat 10-Apr-21 01:30:36

I had someone living at the back of my house who did that non stop, I hot quite angry about it, and one day I confronted him because he really was an unpleasant character, only he gave me a load of abuse, and then never stopped calling me names whenever I was out in my garden. Only the peeping around curtains and standing in his window staring into my house all the time just got worse, I kept my curtains drawn all the time, and I hated going out into the garden, his greenhouse was built into my boundary fence, so he'd just sit in his greenhouse staring through his glass which was effectively in my garden, I put a six foot fence up which he complained about at it blocked the light in his greenhouse, but legally there was nothing he could do about it, so he'd stalk me just so he could become abusive, his wife then started to join in. I didn't make things any easier because I did used to argue back, but it just added fuel to the fire, in the end I sold up and left, I hated living on tenter hooks all the time, it really freaked me out. This chap had a nasty temper, his wife was no better, but as I said, I couldn't keep quiet and let them walk all over me, they needed to know I knew they were spying on me. They denied it, which was absurd, he was always there staring straight at me, any time day or night, it just didn't stop.. My children were very small at the time too, that's why I moved, it just didn't feel right.

bikergran Fri 09-Apr-21 21:54:04

Maybe one or two of these placed strategically grin

Sell them in B n M stores/ebay etc

GagaJo Fri 09-Apr-21 21:50:15

I would get some CCTV put up. If it is linked to upload content to the cloud, you will have a record of it. I'd also get a camera doorbell that you can watch even when you are away from home.

I don't think you can stop them being creepy, but you can make sure all that they do is sneak peaks from behind curtains, and don't actually creep around on your property at night/when you are out.

welbeck Fri 09-Apr-21 21:39:22

could also affect the value of your house if you put anything in writing/complain.
you have to declare any neighbour disputes in particulars of the property.

Forestflame Fri 09-Apr-21 20:08:17

I agree with the people who say you should keep a diary. Also speak to other neighbors and see if they have the same issue. Whatever you do, don't confront them either physically or in writing (you say they have been aggressive in the past). If you do they will know they are upsetting you and it might make things worse.

Katie59 Fri 09-Apr-21 19:20:58

I’m in the cheery wave brigade but it is creepy, sadly there are a lot of seriously weird people, so glad I’m not one of them, at least I don’t think I am.

scourw Fri 09-Apr-21 18:58:05

My late parents had a bit of a similar problem with a next door neighbour but, fortunately, both houses were bungalows so a higher fence solved their problem. Could you afford a mature(ish) tree to be planted in a strategic place to afford you some privacy from the upstairs prying? Or maybe a gazebo type of thing with fast growing creepers to give you at least a place to sit privately? I hope you find a solution, my mother used to try to laugh it off (called the neighbour the prying mantis) but it did quite distress her.

Alioop Fri 09-Apr-21 17:52:01

Give them your biggest smile every time they do it.

Edith81 Fri 09-Apr-21 17:36:47

We always feel intimidated if someone stands over us watching us work but this feels creepy. I would turn and look up at the window and smile and wave and the same when you are out the front at the wife. Do this regularly and they might get the message.

4allweknow Fri 09-Apr-21 17:30:35

How do you know they are watching? You must look at them often to notice what they are doing. Do they ever have visitors? Do they stop watching then? For both of them to take up different spots to watch you is weird though. Are there any other houses near you? If so, don't they stake out them too. Doubt if they are committing any offence watching you when outside. Looking in your windows or accosting you when you were outside would be different.

Delila Fri 09-Apr-21 16:38:26

When my daughter was sunbathing in our garden she saw an eye at a small hole in the fence and realised the man next door was spying on her, so she shouted (hoping his wife was around) & threw something in the direction of the offending eye. Now that was creepy!

Delila Fri 09-Apr-21 16:33:23

I doubt if they mean any harm but don’t realise they can be seen watching you, so if you just smile and wave they will at least realise you can see them and that may be enough to deter them in future.

V3ra Fri 09-Apr-21 16:26:39

I'd had no idea anyone had been watching me.

V3ra Fri 09-Apr-21 16:25:37

Years ago I was at home with young children during the day. I had a phone call and a man (don't know who) asked me, by name, if I would be going out in my garden that afternoon and if I would be wearing my bikini.
I was very shaken as you can imagine and hung up.
I put a whistle by the phone and next time he called, I blasted it as loudly and for as long as I could.
I never had any more calls.

123kitty Fri 09-Apr-21 16:04:21

I think a lot of old people spend their day watching the world around them go by. I feel so sad for my elderly neighbours who spend most of their (due to covid restrictions) day staring out from their window. This means they always seem to be watching me garden or clean the windows. Try giving a friendly wave, they may be just bored or lonely. If they're not elderly that might feel creepy!

Barrygirl Fri 09-Apr-21 15:25:04

Do take this seriously and I suggest that you keep a diary of his activity (re watching you). Then if something more creepy happens you can prove that it was not just a one off event (apologies for if I am making it more than it is).

H1954 Fri 09-Apr-21 15:17:39

Whilst I understand your unease, it's not stalking to look at someone's LinkedIn profile, otherwise why bother having one? As for them watching you from their windows, it's not illegal to look out of our own windows either. I'd be inclined to wave to them when you spot them watching you and perhaps just stand there looking back

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 14:52:56

My neighbours do make good neighbourhood guard dogs though and I hadn't thought of it that way.

They've set themselves up as the Neighbourhood Watch!
Useful sometimes but they sound very odd.

SecondhandRose Fri 09-Apr-21 14:38:26

I’d move house.

marionk Fri 09-Apr-21 14:25:08

Embrace gardening in the buff and give them something to look at ?

madeleine45 Fri 09-Apr-21 14:21:52

2 suggestions, Years ago we had a neighbour to our rear who was totally nosy to the point where when we had a barbecue for friends she brought her ironing board out and stood ironing and watching. As she continued to do so I held up the next course and said in quite a loud voice , sausages now, lamb chops now . She said nothing but did eventually go inside when she had finished her ironing and had no other excuse. The thing that could be very nice for you, would be to get some trellis and you could either just have it above the fence level, or you could make a sort of trellis tunnel, as wide as you chose. Then you could grow a variety of things, for example early and late clematis, honeysuckle , roses and a whole variety of whatever you fancied. If the soil is not very good use large pots and then you can give each plant exactly the type of soil and water it would like and then thread the branches carefully through the trellis. Result a lovely perfumed little arbor to enjoy and perhaps keep out of the sun but also gives you some actual privacy but also can feel private without the sense of being walled in.Gardening is a great hobby and you can go in many different directions. I would join your local gardening club or Hardy Plant society. You will make lots of gardening friends and be so interested in your plants and their gardens that these neighbours become less important in your life. Of course slightly naughty but if they continue to behave like that I would invite all my new gardening friends (once we are allowed to mix) to come to your garden and bring plants and swap and sell plants to each other for charity and then you could all just line up and just look, say nothing but if a whole row of you just stood for 5 minutes watching them in silence they will be aware of how it is to be on the receiving end of unwanted staring. Good luck with what ever you do but if this encourages you to join in with a great gardening group you may find they have done you a favour.

tictacnana Fri 09-Apr-21 14:07:31

Try waving in a cheery way. We had a neighbour who watched me and my daughters when we moved here. It creeped us out but we waved at them when they watched us in the front garden and they scuttled in. He also did it to other residents and was warned off by the police after poisoning a dog and threatening a young woman. You are not unreasonable. Your neighbour is weird verging on unstable.