Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU My husband's trousers are always falling down because of the way he tightens the belt

(12 Posts)
Altissimma Wed 14-Apr-21 19:22:35

I love my husband dearly and we've been married for 43 years so got used to each others' foibles. I know I've become an irate old girl in recent years but the one thing that really aggravates me is my husband's trousers!

Let me explain. We've both put on some weight (who hasn't?) over the years, even before Covid. My husband always has belts in his trousers but the problem is that, when he's purchased trousers, he has bought ones that fit the size of his waist (waist? belly would be a more accurate term). Sounds good in theory but, in practice, the trousers drop down to his hips which are narrower.

It's bad enough when we're at home in our flat and he's having to yank the trousers up. It's worse on the very few occasions we're out and about. He walks with one walking stick and walks slower than me. However, he'll be walking along and stop, (or might not even stop walking) and attempt to yank the trousers up, and this'll happen 3 or 4 times while we're walking along.

I get quite angry with him because it looks so awful when we're out (not that we go out that much). I told him that maybe he should use braces and got told he didn't need them. I also suggested that maybe he should start buying trousers that fitted his hips rather than his belly size, which met with disapproval, too!

Am I the only person that puts up with this?

Blossoming Wed 14-Apr-21 20:12:40

Buy him some braces grin

Aveline Wed 14-Apr-21 20:39:24

Yes. Just buy the braces.

Sago Wed 14-Apr-21 21:48:34

Elasticated waists may help.

JuneRose Wed 14-Apr-21 21:57:12

I know it's not funny but the title of your post made me laugh. Can't offer any advice but I can understand how irritating these little habits can be.?

NotSpaghetti Wed 14-Apr-21 22:01:24

Suggest he buys "hipsters" in future.
I think they are called "low rise" these days.

3dognight Thu 15-Apr-21 02:45:06

Braces grin
Nobody wants their trousers falling down in public

vampirequeen Thu 15-Apr-21 07:21:02

DH has a similar problem. He's just bought a no buckle belt.

www.amazon.co.uk/Elasticated-Elastic-Invisible-Adjustable-Buckless/dp/B08PQGH72M/ref=asc_df_B08PQGH72M/?hvlocphy&linkCode=df0&hvptwo&psc=1&hvnetw=o&hvadid&hvpone&hvlocint&th=1&hvpos&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl&hvqmt=e&tag=gransnetforum-21&hvtargid=pla-4584207588763037&hvrand

It keeps his trousers in place and is very neat.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 17-Apr-21 15:45:03

I’d say buy braces

Baggs Sat 17-Apr-21 17:05:26

Braces won't be much use if he refuses to use them. Is that likely, do you think, altissimma?

M0nica Sat 17-Apr-21 17:15:08

I have had a similar problem recently as DH lost 3 stone while in hospital. He does need to lose more so is unwilling to buy new trousers yet.

He has come up with a simple solution to trousers too large problem. He has made more holes in his belt so that he can tighten the belt of his trousers as he shrinks.

Riggie Fri 23-Apr-21 16:38:34

Sago

Elasticated waists may help.

If my son is anything to go by, they won't. He's early 20s with disabilities so he cant do zips or belts. There was the incident in sainsburys car park when they fell down. Luckily his parka hid any views of his pantsblush