Gransnet forums

AIBU

House move request

(138 Posts)
NannyB2604 Tue 27-Apr-21 16:15:44

Hi everyone. We're in the process of selling our house and all seemed to be going ok until yesterday. The estate agent relayed a request from our purchasers: when they move in the want to pave the whole front garden to make standing room for their caravan and vintage Cadillac (seriously!). In connection with this, they've asked us to cut back the hedge and prune back or remove the (very well-established) shrubs in the garden as, I quote "They don't have time to do it"! Am I being unreasonable to say no? They saw what the garden was like when they put in their offer. By the way, the hedge and shrubs aren't running rampant - we keep them reasonably pruned to complement our currently lawned garden.

NannyB2604 Sun 13-Jun-21 22:30:15

An update - after some more unreasonable requests (including saying they were reducing their offer by £24k), a couple of days before we were due to exchange contracts they pulled out from the purchase angry. However, the lovely young couple who had put in the 2nd best offer weren't fixed up and we've sold to them now. We now won't be able to take advantage of the stamp duty holiday, but at least we now have reasonable purchasers.

Yorki Mon 03-May-21 00:26:55

NannyB... I think they've got a bloomin cheek asking this of you. It you agree it might not end there. Its a shame you can't say, "your not selling if this is how they're going to behave." horrible people.

Lin663 Fri 30-Apr-21 13:33:18

Cheeky! Tell them to pay someone to do it!

Amandajs66 Fri 30-Apr-21 03:00:41

Would the buyers like you to decorate to their taste before you move out and they move in as well.
I really can’t believe that they’ve asked you to do this.
It’s your home right up to completion on moving day.
Just explain that you want your garden as it is and as soon as they have the keys then it’s up to them.

Chapeau Thu 29-Apr-21 23:19:25

Complete chancers - YANBU. However, I wouldn't remove any plants from the garden because, as many have pointed out, the whole property is 'sold as seen'. This, unfortunately includes garden plants and shrubs. You could possibly get away with a few in pots as your buyers don't sound like gardeners and maybe didn't notice what you had. Make sure you fill in the holes!! Good luck

kwest Thu 29-Apr-21 22:56:02

Houses have started selling like lightening around here so you are in a good position even if this sale does not work out. They are just trying it on. I would not trust them. Proceed with caution.

Battersea1971 Thu 29-Apr-21 22:51:28

No, you are not being unreasonable. Once the sale has gone through and the ,property is theirs, they can do what they like. What a cheek!!

GraceQuirrel Thu 29-Apr-21 22:24:29

No. Just no.

Peff68 Thu 29-Apr-21 20:36:03

I’d just tell them yes that’s fine and not do it!! Definitely a sellers market at the moment so sod them!!

Susangilley Thu 29-Apr-21 20:19:03

What a cheek. They can pay to have the work done when they move in.

Teddy123 Thu 29-Apr-21 18:39:46

I'm surprised the estate agent even bothered you with this ridiculous question.
Surely solicitors are now involved if they are serious about purchasing your property!
A big red flag! And possibly time wasters. I hope not but it's a very odd request!
Good Luck

Cid24 Thu 29-Apr-21 18:35:32

Blinking cheek!! No you are not being unreasonable ! I had similar when I sold my parents house , and they kept asking me to clear x, y and z. , and I did . But they kept on and on and In the event I told them where they could go !! The sale still went through!

RosesAreRed21 Thu 29-Apr-21 17:06:47

Goodness no way. They made an offer on the house as they seen it - what they want to do when they move in is entirely up to them

JulieMM Thu 29-Apr-21 16:55:46

Do they want you to redecorate the house to their tastes too??? Flipping cheek!!

Caro57 Thu 29-Apr-21 16:29:23

Can you take the shrubs with you or give them to those who would enjoy them

timetogo2016 Thu 29-Apr-21 16:14:03

What a damn cheek.
Make an excuse not to do it just incase they pull out,like saying you have a bad back etc.
Gosh the nerve of some people.

SparklyGrandma Thu 29-Apr-21 16:07:07

The cheek of it! Perhaps they’d like you to emulsion the whole downstairs too?

Pammie1 Thu 29-Apr-21 16:01:53

Absolutely not - you are only responsible for either carrying out works or reducing the selling price to account for issues brought up in a surveyors report. If you do this work and the sale doesn’t proceed for some reason, then you’ve ruined an attractive garden which could put potential future buyers off. I would tell them politely that you don’t intend to do anything of the sort - if they really want the house, it won’t put them off. Once you have completed they can do what they want, and will have to pay for it themselves. Cheeky sods !!

tickingbird Thu 29-Apr-21 15:59:30

The bare faced cheek of them! You are not being unreasonable.

LynneH Thu 29-Apr-21 15:55:42

avitorl

It would be a definite no from me but I would agree to them having it done after exchange of Contracts and at their own expense too.

Even after exchange of contracts, there’s a chance the deal could fall through. I wouldn’t allow them to do anything until after completion

seadragon Thu 29-Apr-21 15:48:57

At the last minute our sellers, in 1991 asked us for an additional £1,000 - 'to help with their removal expenses!'.... My MIL very kindly offered to give us the money. I refused both the request and the offer. The sale went through as previously agreed...

poshpaws Thu 29-Apr-21 15:28:29

No, no, no don't agree to do ANY work for them! As plenty of previous posters have said, how would you feel if you did what they're asking and the sale fell through last minute?

They're taking the mickey big-time!

A house is on the market for people to view and if they like it, buy: if it's not exactly what they want they can either alter after purchase or sod off and let someone who appreciates it make an offer.

NannyB2604 Thu 29-Apr-21 15:27:34

Thanks everyone. As the sale is now almost 2 months in, and we don't want to lose the lovely house we're buying, we won't be withdrawing from the sale, but we certainly won't be doing what the buyers have requested. If they withdraw, well so be it, I think our house will easily sell (we had half a dozen other offers). As for any planning permission issues - well that's up to them, nothing to do with us. Thanks again, all - it's good to know others don't think we're being unreasonable

Kamiso Thu 29-Apr-21 15:17:56

Tempting as it is to tell them to get lost but best to politely tell then NO! Tempers get frayed in the final stages so no point in inflaming the situation.

After we moved we heard that one couple had cut down a beautiful wisteria that hung over the front wall and on another occasion an old but prolific apple tree was cut down along with all trees and established shrubs. Sad and wasteful but obviously their house, their choice.

Florida12 Thu 29-Apr-21 15:12:45

I wonder what makes them think that their time is more important than yours?

Just reflect their reason back to them, ‘you don’t have the time’

And no, I don’t think you are being unreasonable. Did the agent not think this was an odd request?