Gransnet forums

AIBU

Call from her bank to my very elderly mum.

(33 Posts)
Nonogran Sat 08-May-21 11:28:09

Am I being unreasonable to ask my mum's bank to stop phoning her to enquire if she is OK or has any worries they can help with? Apparently, if so, they will engage with the "authorities" to obtain their support for her.
On the surface all well & good but if my mum gets lulled into a false sense of security when "that nice man from the bank" calls & gives away information better not shared, I'm afraid that actually it might not be him, but a scam call.
My mum is well into her nineties, sees family throughout the week and has no dementia issues at all. She is totally ambulant, in good health for her great age and certainly has no welfare issues.
Was I unreasonable to ask her bank to stop calling her? Mum's in agreement that they should stop.

cornergran Tue 11-May-21 01:44:16

Apologies nonogran, I hadn’t seen your recent post. Pleased all is sorted.

cornergran Tue 11-May-21 01:42:27

We had a couple of calls from our bank during the first lockdown asking if they could support in any way. They also sent emails with a dedicated phone number for those with concerns to use. At no time were we asked to provide security information. When the second call came we assured the staff member we would make contact if we needed to and asked them not to call again. This was accepted without argument, I’d suggest a call to the bank would stop the contact.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 10-May-21 19:05:41

Our bank rang us to enquire if we were in need of any help. It was at the beginning of the lock down In fact they gave us a number meant only for the elderly and told not to give it to anyone else. I knew it was genuine as they had in fact given us that number some time before and was in my phone book. I used it a short time ago when I had a straight forward query and it was really efficient and helpful. Of course lots of calls is odd and I can understand why you might be worried as you have to be so careful these days.

Nonogran Mon 10-May-21 18:55:23

Hello all, thanks for all your kind responses. I visited mums bank in our nearby city who like to be "by your side" & asked them most kindly not to call her again. There is really no need & mum is in agreement. She's very deaf & struggles with phone calls anyway. Her account is never ever in the red & she has enough social & family interaction to support her. She agrees she does not need nor care for the bank phoning her however kind their intentions are.
The bank were a little resistant to my request to desist from calling mum & did say their calls had proved popular. Well that's lovely for some but not for mum thanks. I did point out that in these days of scams I felt their calls were a tad questionable. They have now made a note on mums file that the calls should stop & indeed it seems they have.

timetogo2016 Mon 10-May-21 09:31:41

An idea would be to give the bank your number and delete your mom`s from their records.
With your dm``s permision of course.

Hetty58 Mon 10-May-21 09:28:48

I think my bank (Halifax) has a 'welfare' scheme for vulnerable customers too. Yes, I agree that it opens the door for scammers. Therefore, I wouldn't sign up for it.

Shelflife Mon 10-May-21 09:23:56

The only way to solve this and give you and your mum peace of mind is go to her bank , take mum with you if possible and ask about the calls . If the calls are genuine your mum can request they stop them . There are so many scans , so we all need to be very careful indeed! If this is genuine then it does demonstrates how easy your mum can be taken in by scammers. Also worth remembering that we don't need dementia to be taken in by scammers. It happens to young people too! I would err on the side of caution and speak asap to her bank.

MerylStreep Sun 09-May-21 10:11:23

I appreciate that some will not want to read this article.
But within it there is this.
The thing that I’m most proud of, are the proactive calls made to our customers, particularly those over 65. Overall we made 330,000 calls to those customers
www.business-live.co.uk/partners/how-banking-giant-natwest-adapted-19067217

monk08 Sun 09-May-21 10:03:11

I've had bank ring me but not recognising the number didn't answer. After the 3rd time of trying they left a message thanking me for feedback on my last visit to the branch. Have now taken note of the number which is my local branch.

EllanVannin Sun 09-May-21 09:51:51

I was of the understanding that the banks don't call you. If they wish to let you know something it's by post.
Once upon a time they might have rang you but not now.

Sarnia Sun 09-May-21 09:47:33

cautious.

Sarnia Sun 09-May-21 09:46:59

MerylStreep

For all you doubting thomases.
Look at this. Scroll down to the number given.
I’ve checked with my neighbour and this is the number given to her by NatWest.
Now you can think that this website is a scam.

Scammers and fraudsters have used this pandemic to their advantage. The increase in this type of crime has been phenomenal since the 1st lockdown and any one of us could be targeted by these odious people. I think we are right to be doubting Thomas's. We are warned to be cautios and are told time and time again not to divulge any information on telephone calls, texts and dubious e-mail links. Nonogran is doing her best to protect her Mum. Good for her.

BlueBelle Sun 09-May-21 09:22:37

I ve never ever had a phone call off my high street bank to enquire if I m ok covid or no CoviD
I would definitely check if these are genuine or not and ask them to cease

Lollin Sun 09-May-21 09:04:38

I was only thinking yesterday how I miss the people who knew my face and usual transactions and queries over the counter. Same with the small local shops that were around for years. The others change staff all the time even the small independents seemed to change staff a lot. I think it was better for security but expense the banks decision. I agree lovely gesture but not one of their best ideas.

harrigran Sun 09-May-21 08:52:29

My bank rings quite frequently, to give them their due they do text first to ask if if is convenient.
My calls are part of the Premier banking service and because I have difficulty getting into a branch.

Bluebellwould Sat 08-May-21 18:23:03

I thought, only the other day, that the tv adverts for banks were more like an advertisement for mental health services than banking. Lloyds bank, for instance, are by your side. There’s no branches left open so how they have the cheek to say that is mind boggling. I can quite believe that it is the bank contacting your mum. Quite why they are more interested in her health than providing a good service financially is amazing. Good luck in getting it sorted.

lemsip Sat 08-May-21 17:44:01

MerylStreep
Look at What?

MerylStreep Sat 08-May-21 17:12:34

For all you doubting thomases.
Look at this. Scroll down to the number given.
I’ve checked with my neighbour and this is the number given to her by NatWest.
Now you can think that this website is a scam.

Mapleleaf Sat 08-May-21 16:56:03

The phone calls sound odd to me, and I suspect may be a scam, trying to lull your mother into a sense of security first, before going in for the big scam.However, to be sure, you really do need to contact her bank to ask if they are phoning and if they are, point out to them that it's not a very wise thing to be doing considering the world we live in now with all the horrible scams around.
The banks would be very busy indeed if they were to phone all their elderly customers to check they were ok, which is why I feel somewhat suspicious.

muse Sat 08-May-21 16:33:46

Nonogran You say: My mum is well into her nineties, sees family throughout the week and has no dementia issues at all. She is totally ambulant, in good health for her great age and that she's in agreement that they should stop. Has she ever told them to stop ring when they call?

You could write the letter for her and get her to sign it.

If you have Power of Attorney you can get the number, the bank hold, changed. You might struggle otherwise.

It does sound very suspicious though. It sounds like they have rung a few times.

H1954 Sat 08-May-21 16:27:49

Whilst it's admirable that your Mums bank are taking the initiative to check in with her I completely agree that this could lead to her being scammed by someone who she thinks is genuinely concerned for her welfare.
In your position I would certainly ask them cease calling her and explain your motives.

Sarnia Sat 08-May-21 16:16:20

It doesn't sound quite right to me. It could be that the banks are genuinely contacting elderly customers in the current climate. However, scammers could well see a way to abuse this to their advantage. Phone the bank and then tell your Mum not to talk to anyone claiming to be from her bank. That's not the way they usually do business.

AGAA4 Sat 08-May-21 15:46:37

All unsolicited calls should be considered suspicious. You were right to tell them not to ring your mum.

M0nica Sat 08-May-21 15:21:13

jeanie99 some banks have been ringing vulnerable customers during COVID, to ensure that they are OK, its a sort of a caring sharing bank thing.

Unfortunately like a number of wellmeaning gestures during the last year, it hasn't been very well thought through and could leave a vulnerable person more likely to respond to a scam bank call.

Hithere Sat 08-May-21 15:18:43

Could it be that your mother's health is not as good as you think it is?