Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do you give to people begging in town ?

(258 Posts)
Jaffacake2 Mon 10-May-21 18:52:29

Now that lockdown is easing and the shops are open it seems my town has an influx of beggars back on the streets. In the past I have offered to buy hot drinks and food but have been met with abuse and demands for cash. I don't give money and have at times phoned our city's outreach homeless team to alert them. They have told me that they regularly patrol streets and that there is enough hostel spaces to offer a bed.
Just wondered what others do when asked for money ?

MelBB Sun 23-May-21 13:51:06

Also, it can feel very intimidating. I once visited my home city for a theatre trip and the area I used to visit 20 years ago was full of beggars. ?

MelBB Sun 23-May-21 13:49:57

I rarely go out these days but sometimes give to a homeless charity instead. I have been known to give beggars food though - being prepared could be carrying a Mars bar.

Problem is, sometimes they have a home already (as is the case with a guy in Norwich, who puts his sleeping bag in the grit bin each day), or the money can go on drink/drugs, thus fuelling the cycle.

I feel okay with my decision.

Itsawelshthing Fri 21-May-21 23:28:29

I always ask if they want a sandwich and a coffee but they always ask for money instead, therefore I don't give it them. Sounds nasty I know but why do they need money to buy food when they can allow people to buy it for them instead?

Bernardaalba Thu 20-May-21 20:40:39

I too regularly donate to the local homeless charities who are prevalent in my local city.
In conversation one day with a lovely Big Issue vendor, she told me a tale of beggars being mini bussed in from elsewhere who were then deployed around our fair city & watched over by the gang master who regularly pimped their money, sandwiches or other donations.
Give if you will but in my humble opinion, far better to donate to a supportive charity.

joysutty Thu 20-May-21 14:39:32

I tend to give them an item like packet of crisps of chocolate bar.

Fennel Wed 19-May-21 17:28:21

Last Friday I went to "Toon" after 2 months after my accident.
There was a a young couple sheltering in a doorway and I asked them why they were there. He said - "The council have given up on me."
He looked so unhealthy - thin , but flushed and lost most teeth.
I didn't know what to do to help except with kind words.
I didn't give them anything else, but wished I could have given more.

BlueBelle Sun 16-May-21 09:59:08

I should just add that a couple of the beggars in my town centre were quite anti social one very abusive, quite violent and demanding has been known to hit people if they don’t give enough and one lady who just takes her knickers down and deficates Thankfully they seem to have been moved on

PS they were British

BlueBelle Sun 16-May-21 09:47:42

I’m surprised they are not all huge the amount of burgers Greg’s etc that they are given and where does all the coffee go that they are drinking all day
No I have hardened my heart since I was fleeced of £30 in a huge hard luck story by a man desperate to get to his dying father, bigger fool me
There is a lot of help out there and the ones that fall through the net usually don’t want the help offered We have a well run hostel a very successful Sally Army, there are local groups collecting money food and household goods to give out daily, there are night helpers walking the streets ...Giving money just keeps them in the same situation they have always been in, (it is in my opinion and in the advice from charities that help) keeping the problem alive and kicking
I m not hard hearted to anyone that falls on hard times and will help if I can but not with money

And no Socialhermit I m neither a Tory nor a little Englanders neither could be further from the truth so a very unwelcome judgement from you Feeding an alcohol or drug habit is doing the person no favours at all especially if you know they have already rejected physical help

MerylStreep Sun 16-May-21 09:00:43

Fennel

MerelStreep - that must have been a nightmare, But for everyone's sake including the poorly person.

Fennel
The last straw was in the early hours of my daughters wedding day when he was hammering on her door. My 2 grandchildren were in the house.
It was only a few days before when we had offered him work and everything was good.
But as anyone who knows me: if you frighten my grandchildren you are dead in the water ?
Harsh, yes. But you have to be in these situations to understand.

harrigran Sun 16-May-21 08:43:59

Not any more, I was willing to give the few pound coins I had in my pocket but a man pushed me up against a shop window and said it was obvious I could afford more.
I never get close enough to allow contact.

Iam64 Sun 16-May-21 08:02:04

Fennel, some ‘close the door’ as a desperate, sad, means of trying to keep other family members safe.
Just as we don’t judge those whose lives spiral out of control, I feel we should try not to judge their loved ones.

Chigleys Fri 14-May-21 18:58:36

No, never

Fennel Fri 14-May-21 16:41:22

MerelStreep - that must have been a nightmare, But for everyone's sake including the poorly person.

Frogsinmygarden Fri 14-May-21 06:55:23

Gwyneth. Romanian by any chance?

Callistemon Fri 14-May-21 00:31:17

I suppose the question I would ask myself is whether I would rather give to a charity for homeless people when that money will do good and help people to gain a better life or give money to an individual which may enable that person to stay out on the streets and not seek help.

muffinthemoo Thu 13-May-21 22:57:53

When I was very small, we lived in London and often encountered folk begging in tube and train stations.

My dad always gave them a quid. We weren’t very well off, but he never refused any of them.

He explained to me why, once. He said that anyone who was out begging in the streets, no matter why they were begging, must have needed that pound more than he did on his way home to a warm home and a hot meal.

I took it to heart and do the same.

MerylStreep Thu 13-May-21 21:51:22

Fennel
I’m afraid we had to because a situation can become very unsafe very quickly.

Fennel Thu 13-May-21 21:42:58

And me.
And Sick of wedding cake - don't give up hope. Never close the door, as some do. Not that you seem to be thinking of doing that.

Buffybee Thu 13-May-21 18:41:40

May7

When you walk past another human being who is begging on the street how can you in that split second decide if they are in genuine need or scamming you??
Why not take the option that that person needs help and give help

If they are scamming you then thats their shame not yours
If they are genuine and you've walked on by then you've missed an opportunity to be kind and that's your shame.

WA

Exactly how I feel May7 and that’s why I can’t walk on by....

Sickofweddingcake Thu 13-May-21 18:19:59

Thank you all for your kind responses. When I looked back later at what I had written, it made me think that none of us ever know what is around any given corner. Thank you all for your kind words. x

May7 Thu 13-May-21 16:52:49

Sickofweddingcake my heart goes out to youthanks

May7 Thu 13-May-21 16:51:34

When you walk past another human being who is begging on the street how can you in that split second decide if they are in genuine need or scamming you??
Why not take the option that that person needs help and give help

If they are scamming you then thats their shame not yours
If they are genuine and you've walked on by then you've missed an opportunity to be kind and that's your shame.

WA

MerylStreep Thu 13-May-21 16:07:28

Sickofweddingcake
Much the same story as my beautiful nephew.
One minute he was working in Germany the next he was in a British psychiatric unit.
Even to this day we don’t know what happened only that he was picked up on the street in the throes of an extremely disturbing episode.
My sister as a senior social worker pulled every string she could to get him help but even she failed: he can’t be fixed.
A few years ago we tried by ‘employing’ him which would give him money. Sadly we had to give up.
The family still see him on the street. Sometimes he’s quite ok but other times it’s very sad to see.

JaneJudge Thu 13-May-21 15:47:16

"People who are homeless were once ten year olds with hopes and dreams, who never expected or anticipated that one day they would be without a place to call home. I try never to forget that"

sad you sound like a lovely person x

grannyactivist Thu 13-May-21 15:43:46

Sickofweddingcake - I am in contact with the families of several of my clients and often feel desperately sad for them. Like you they love their relatives, but often they have simply run out of ways to try and help. Thank you for sharing your situation. flowers

I don’t run a shelter, I’m based in a community cafe whose lovely Christian staff never judge and are always ready with a listening ear alongside free meals and hot drinks. The funding for this comes from my charity and is available to anyone for an initial three days. After that it’s hoped that the person will be willing to engage with my team as we sort out, together, how we can meet the client’s needs.

People who are homeless were once ten year olds with hopes and dreams, who never expected or anticipated that one day they would be without a place to call home. I try never to forget that.