Gransnet forums

AIBU

What is the average age of mumsnet and gransnet ?

(147 Posts)
NambyPamby Sat 15-May-21 16:20:51

Am I being unresonable to ask if I'm too old for Mumsnet and too young for Gransnet?
I feel like neither represent my views, opinions or lifestyle.
I dont believe life has changed soo much, it used to be that people married young and were probably young grandparents but perhaps they were older in their lifestyle as it was a different age.
But there are now people having children later in life and therefore older grandparents (And opinions!)
As well as teen pregnancies which is in every generation and so therefore younger grandparents possibly.
So where do younger grandparents go or older mums, I dont feel represented anywhere.

romaroot Thu 10-Jun-21 17:16:56

I was on both until recently, mumsnet for over 10 years.
I can't be doing with it now, so many responses are just plain nasty.

Billybob4491 Mon 31-May-21 16:50:37

Although I am way too old for Mumsnet I do prefer it except for the bad language.

nanna8 Sun 30-May-21 11:49:00

What’s with the Karen business? Never heard of it here.

MawBe Sun 30-May-21 11:26:45

muffinthemoo

I found mumsnet absolutely infested by Karens, especially AIBU.

I’m not down for the competitive mothering and sly digs culture either.

I see others have responded to this demeaning, derogatory, toxic and entirely unnecessary comment.
So while I hardly need to I feel unable to let it pass unnoticed.
Sly digs may be undesirable, explicit vitriol I can do without too. ?

LuckyFour Sun 30-May-21 10:46:32

Just because we are grandparents doesn't mean we should all have the same opinions. We're just people and are going to be just as varied as any other 'group'. I hate the idea of being categorized, my opinion on issues is neither young nor old. It's just one person's opinion.

Youngatheart51 Thu 20-May-21 15:02:45

I'm on both & feel the same. I've just turned 53, my eldest dgd will be 13 in August, then have dgd nearly 6, dgs nearly 5 & dgd who was born in March.
I had my first dd at 20 & she had her first dd at the same age. Sometimes I feel like I'm "in between" especially seeing as I'm unable to work & where I live if you have pre-school kids or are over retirement age then there's loads for you to do. If you're a betweener then you're stuck in the house all day! ?

Saetana Thu 20-May-21 14:22:06

Am just reading the wet concrete thread now on Mumsnet - the story about do not use the toilet on page 5 has me in stitches! www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/4243854-I-ve-ruined-the-floor-and-feel-so-stupid?pg=5

grant1 Wed 19-May-21 19:37:39

@Maggiemaybe The wet concrete thread was hilarious! Like several others have said here, I'm on both MN and GN. I'm mid 50's and don't feel out of place age-wise on either one. They both offer different points of view and it is so easy to add your opinion or just pass by if a thread doesn't suit you or pique your interest or if you just don't feel you have anything valuable to add to the conversation. I don't always "fit in" as I'm an American, in America but love hearing other peoples point of view and being exposed to all the issues people deal with in different ways elsewhere in the world or the same way as I do. And a lot of the threads are downright entertaining! I sit here literally loling!

Callistemon Wed 19-May-21 17:35:48

I know it's flung about as a derogatory term but it does annoy me, it's such a shame.

Apology accepted Muffin smile

FannyCornforth Wed 19-May-21 14:57:30

Glad to hear that, Muffin

I know exactly what it is like to have one's forename misappropriated...

muffinthemoo Wed 19-May-21 14:53:54

Callistemon

My relatives and my friends called Karen can come and infest my house any time, lovely people all of them.

I think using a woman's name to denote a nasty person unpleasant muffinthemoo.

I also have many friends named Karen, none of whom behave like Karens.

I apologise for the offence given and will no longer use the slang term in this forum.

PaperMonster Wed 19-May-21 14:19:58

Here, here Callistemon.

Callistemon Wed 19-May-21 14:15:17

My relatives and my friends called Karen can come and infest my house any time, lovely people all of them.

I think using a woman's name to denote a nasty person unpleasant muffinthemoo.

muffinthemoo Wed 19-May-21 13:52:23

I found mumsnet absolutely infested by Karens, especially AIBU.

I’m not down for the competitive mothering and sly digs culture either.

Rufus2 Wed 19-May-21 13:22:12

My aunt who is 102, loves FB
Mollygo Thank you for the congrats!
94 is nothing really, especially when compared with 102.
That's Awesome!
As TV interviewers probably asked "how does she account for her longevity," apart from good genes of course. hmm
Best Wishes for her 103rd. and Good Health to you!
OoRoo

Mercedes55 Wed 19-May-21 13:20:03

nanaK54

I enjoy both Gransnet and Mumsnet, I am 66

Same as me, I am on both and am 66. I also spend a lot of time on a Mercedes forum, hence the nickname and over the years have made some lovely friends on there smile

Saetana Wed 19-May-21 11:29:33

I'm 51 and neither a mother nor, obviously, a grandmother. I started on Mumsnet but found it too crude and sweary for my tastes - which is odd given I can swear like a docker on occasion, but I do try to refrain from doing it online. I only ever visit now if I hear of a particularly funny topic that has gone viral. Grandsnet is more interesting to me, particularly the political topics - its always been an interest of mine.

Pussycat2012 Tue 18-May-21 23:25:05

I am 57 and like GrauntyHelen am on Gransnet and Mumsnet A quick glance at both tells me told me Gransnet is more varied and therefore interesting and Mumsnet more informative with simple tips for food defrosting and what cream to put on a particular ailment!

CanadianGran Tue 18-May-21 21:51:15

I'm 59 and on both sites under different names. I feel more at home on this site, but admit that it gets a bit dull at times for me. Perhaps because of the time difference, and I usually go straight to Active topics, so get a lot of games which I ignore. Most of the heated debates are put to bed by the time I can read them.

Some of the mumsnet topics are definitely entertaining, but I don't have much to contribute. I am learning some new language...

Years ago we had a Canadian women's forum but it was closed because it got too big and hard to manage. It was run by a magazine, and they felt like they were losing their focus. I really miss it, and as much as I love GN, I feel a bit misplaced at times. I can read but cannot comment on politics, etc. I have learned quite a bit though (better understanding of Brexit), and often will look up locations mentioned here in the good morning thread.

I haven't seen the OP reply... and you don't say really what demographic you fit into. I think GN is a fairly good mix of all decades over 50, but the retired members have more time to comment so perhaps are more dominant.

GrauntyHelen Tue 18-May-21 19:18:43

I'm 56 and on both Gransnet and Mumsnet

Nanny12 Tue 18-May-21 17:52:38

My youngest son is nearly 30 , and my eldest grandchild is nearly 27 ...... young mum n grandma , older mum and average grandma I think .I read both of mn and gn , but only what interests me

Whatdayisit Tue 18-May-21 17:40:51

I joined Gransnet last year I'm 49 now but have been a Grandma since 37!
I felt a bit like a fish out of water on here at first but it's a bit like squashing onto a packed bench you soon begin to spread out a bit.
I'm Generation X and no offence intended but i feel BabyBoomers views and experiences often a polar opposite to my own.
The same with Mumsnet - the Y Genners are just not me.
But you get settled in and i feel more comfortable now on Gransnet.

Juicylucy Tue 18-May-21 17:32:13

I’m in my 60s but feel in my forties I’m told I’m a cool Nan, I don’t have the traditional views of a typical 60 year old or have or do the typical activities. So to me I think a lot depends on your views and outlook on life rather than a number.

Pap67 Tue 18-May-21 17:19:00

I’m 54... nanny to 2 gorgeous granddaughters... I switch between MN & GN... I ignore anything political.. have learned quite a lot from both forums. Although some on GN are very opinionated ?

Wannabenanna Tue 18-May-21 16:49:38

Hi I'm 57 and have recently joined Gransnet, (first post) I'm also on MN and just lurk and read up on topics of current interest. I joined GN as thought I'd be ready for when my daughter has her 1st baby in December! smile