Gransnet forums

AIBU

Entertainment or Cruelty?

(59 Posts)
icanhandthemback Sun 06-Jun-21 11:41:01

My DGS is ASD and started mainstream school this year with a 1:1 SEN assistant. You only have to be in the room with my Grandson for 2 minutes and you realise that he is not Neuro-typical. He is a bright, happy little boy but probably about 18 months to 2 years behind in his emotional and social development. He is also dyspraxic so is very clumsy and doesn't always sense where his extremities begin and end. He trips over his own feet all the time!. He isn't naughty as a general rule but his need for sensory stimulation can mean he can be loud which obviously his key worker and the teacher have to try to quash. For the most part in school, he joins in enthusiastically but is finding some of the boundaries that the other children find easy, much more difficult. For example, the children are allowed to play pushing games (don't ask me why) and he doesn't always realise how hard he is pushing. The teacher says that he there is no malice or temper involved but wants him to temper his pushing. That seems to be a difficult ask but my son and his wife are working on it. Apart from allowing pushing games, they have no problem with the school, engage with the teacher on a daily basis to check everything is ok and are encouraged by the positivity of the teacher.
My son has had some concerns that certain children keep coming up to him in the playground and telling him that our DGS is "naughty". As they are 5 years olds, I tell my son not to worry, kids are very open, don't understand autism and are very friendly with our boy, he shouldn't be too concerned. My son is very keen that DGS should not use autism as an excuse for bad behaviour and wants him to be the best person he can be albeit with the neurological constraints he was born with.

However, at a Birthday Party of one of the children from the class last week, the "entertainer" asked who was the naughtiest child in the class. Every child pointed at our DGS and shouted his name. Our boy was oblivious (his language and understanding are very delayed) so was quite excited at everybody shouting his name but it was like an arrow to my son's heart. He is gutted that his son is seen in this light.

I asked my son what he had done and he said nothing. I said if I had been there I would have quietly spoken to the entertainer that this is not a question that should have been asked at all. Very many "naughty" children have issues which make them appear naughty and if they are labelled as such, it can be destructive to their self esteem and sets them aside from their peer group. My son didn't want to make a fuss but I think this sort of thing should be addressed even if it is only to educate. As a children's entertainer, there is surely a duty to be inclusive, show kindness and that picking on one child is not entertainment. AIBU?

Beswitched Thu 08-Jul-21 15:20:14

nanna8

Apologies, had a bad day yesterday

No problem smile

FarNorth Thu 08-Jul-21 14:34:17

Wow NotSpaghetti that entertainer sounds appalling and it's weird that the nursery and other parents seemingly thought the act was fine.

nanna8 Thu 08-Jul-21 08:51:58

Apologies, had a bad day yesterday

nanna8 Thu 08-Jul-21 08:51:42

Thanks for clarifying that Beswitched

Beswitched Thu 08-Jul-21 08:39:25

I was responding to Toadintheholes earlier post.

nanna8 Wed 07-Jul-21 23:21:54

No I was talking about the other entertainer mentioned but hey ho. Take what you feel happy with. I don’t care.

Beswitched Wed 07-Jul-21 21:26:05

Toadinthehole. What a rude response.

nanna8 Wed 07-Jul-21 12:11:28

The ‘entertainer’ sounds dire and I would definitely complain. Not just dire but creepy with it.
The little boy with ASD sounds as though he is doing really well and he will learn such a lot from his peers. At that age kids usually aren’t into bullying and tend to be accepting of others. The odd comment is just part of life and if he doesn’t
get upset by it I wouldn’t worry too much.

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Jul-21 09:44:11

And here's someone else who had problems with children's entertainment:

tobygoesbananas.co.uk/childrens-entertainer-crossed-the-line/

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Jul-21 09:43:00

Regarding the two dreadful "entertainers".
If you know who they are why not call them directly and tell them what you think? I would do this.

For those of you talking about DBS, a children’s entertainer doesn't need to undergo a DBS check as they are not expected to be alone with children.

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Jul-21 09:29:51

To those of you wanting to know about the pushing game the OP says it is Duck duck goose.

This is the (old) game where one person is "it" and is outside a circle of children. They walk around and (in my day) used to "tap" the other children on the head saying duck until they choose a goose. I expect they now "tap" their backs instead.
Once someone is the goose they chase round the circle trying to catch "it" before they get back to the goose's spot.

We used to play this seated in the school hall but standing if it was wet and we were in the playground.

Franbern Wed 07-Jul-21 08:47:22

Oh dear, like others wish t here was an edit buttong. My grand son is now a 21 year old - not 32

Franbern Wed 07-Jul-21 08:46:22

Should be very pleased that this child was invited to a birthday party. So often, children on the ASD spectrum become totally isolated from their school mates. I can still remember so well, my gson having sent out about a dozen invites for his 8th birthday party, receiving about three reples, saying they would attend, and then waiting at home amidst decorations and cake and no-one came. Never invited to anyone else;'s party either!!! Heartbreaking for all - especially as his youner sister, whose birthday was two weeks later had virtually the whole class wanting an invite to HER party.

Well in the past now, he is a happy, well adjusted 32 hyear old doing his Masters degree in Chemical studies. No very close friends, but definitely several good aquaintenances.

Think that the so-called entertainer at the Holiday Camp needs reporting for race hatred. Sound unbelievable dreadful - I would be reporting him to the police and informing the Camp Manager and Head Office what I was doing and the reason.

Sounds as if the OP's g.son is managing extremely well in main-stream school and they are coping with his special needs well. Hope that continues.

ElderlyPerson Tue 06-Jul-21 19:09:51

Going back over sixty years ago, I was about ten and at primary school, a two-tier system back then, no middle school.

One morning at assembly, at the time when assembly would normally finish, the headmaster said he had something to ask us about. (They were called headmaster then, I think it is headteacher now.)

He explained that living locally was a little boy who had never been to school and that he was seven years old and that was because unlike for all of us, something had gone wrong when he was born.

It was explained that he needed to go to school.

So there were two possibilities. One was that he would have to go away and live at a special school away from his parents and his brother. We all thought that sounded horrible. There was another possibility, he could come to our school and then he could stay with his parents and his brother. We thought that was better. The headmaster then explained that that was only possible if we all agreed that whatever he said or did, whether in school, or in the playground, or anywhere, that we would not get in a fight with him or say anything to him and so on.

Then we were all asked whether we would all promise to do that so that he could stay at home with his parents and his brother. We all agreed.

He did not join the class that a seven-year old would normally be in, but was in the infants class (though not the initial reception class) where a very experienced lady teacher looked after him.

What was amazing was that he drew pictures in 3d whereas everyone else drew them flat, including we older ones.

There used to be a Fry's chocolate painting contest each year for primary schools. Everybody got a printed board game and there were a very few National prizes, not one per school.

He won one of the National prizes. We were utterly amazed.

ElderlyPerson Tue 06-Jul-21 18:45:57

Some years ago I was watching Questions to the Prime Minister on the Parliament Channel. Although other television channels go back to the studio for people to discuss it, the Parliament channel stays with the proceedings.

A 10-minute rule bill came up. It was about osteopaths. It was a bill to require professional registration for osteopaths as up until then it was said that anyone could quite legally set themself up as an osteopath without any regulation.

A registration requirement and associated training, qualification and professional standards requirement would be good to have for children's entertainers, on top of the police check.

So writing to Members of Parliament would seem to be one way of possibly getting something done.

ElderlyPerson Tue 06-Jul-21 17:15:11

25Avalon

Peach blossom that is true but nonetheless you should not be working with children without an in date DBS.

It is not good to use 'you' in such a sentence.

It is better to write 'someone' as otherwise it reads as if the statement is being made to a specific person, indeed telling them off.

If someone uses that format to me, I correct them, perhaps saying 'But I am not doing that and have not done so."

That usually get a reply that they did not mean 'you you' and I reply by saying, "Well, use 'someone' then rather than 'you'".

People often use that way of speaking in commenting on government policy. If the speaker means 'a government' then that term should be used, not 'you'.

Deedaa Tue 06-Jul-21 16:44:53

I remember one primary school teacher complaining that the class seemed to find my ASD grandson's "lectures" much more entertaining than her lessons. I felt like saying "Perhaps if you lessons weren't so boring" but I managed to restrain myself.

62Granny Tue 06-Jul-21 16:35:03

I do think a conversation needs to had with the school and perhaps they could do some lessons on the subject of being different and how that affects different people in different ways, hair , skin & eye colour how their brains work and some people are good at maths /reading/drawing , try and find a positive thing in each child rather a negative. I am sure there is practical support for teachers, perhaps get some proper literature together and ask to speak at one of the teacher training days.

Madgran77 Tue 06-Jul-21 16:05:33

Granny23 shock

Icanhandthemback I am wondering if the school has explained to the other children in the class that your grandson:

*is very clever at .....
*pointing out to the children when he (and any other children) do the right thing, are NOT naughty!
*pointing out when he ( or other children) do something kind

It sort of looks like the balance isn't there, despite their efforts to help him fit in.

Young children can also quite easily understand when someone has special needs and can then be eager to help ...as long as it is explained and they are supported.

My granddaughter had a little girl in her class who sounds similar to your grandson; the school explained to all the children that she needed help to remember the right thing to do, to remember when not to do things, to realise her own strength. They also deliberately involved her in specific activities but after an initial reminder of the right way to participate, with regular "mini reminders" to support her. The children were kind and tolerant of her needs , worked to include her and she was an asset for the whole class. That was from 5 years old!

Luckygirl Tue 06-Jul-21 11:47:36

"Pushing games"! - what the heck!?

Silly entertainer to ask such a thoughtless question.

trisher Tue 06-Jul-21 11:40:47

I'm not sure what a "pushing" game is either. When I was teaching several games were banned in the playground and pushing certainly was. It's something which so easily slips from fun into violent play, and I don't think your GS is alone in not realising when he is being too rough it's a common thing amongst young children.
I think as adults as well we sometimes mistake the values children put on things. I understand your DS doesn't want his child to be labelled because he has difficulties and these impact on his behaviour. But with children the term"naughty" isn't always a negative one, indeed it brings with it some sort of status. I think also that children differentiate between children who behave badly. Your GS is obviously popular so the others see him as someone who sometimes makes mistakes but who is friendly and caring, rather than someone to be avoided because his behaviour is bad.
If I were your son I'd approach the school and ask them to review their health and safety rules for playtimes and breaks with specific emphasis on pushing.
If that entertainer has a reviews section somewhere on social media I'd post a negative review.
I do think you are doing a wonderful job with your GS who is obviously developing and adapting to school. I hope he continues to thrive.

Toadinthehole Tue 06-Jul-21 11:21:08

User7777

This reminds me of the time, a teacher, slid up to me in the playground and said, Do you find .... is naughty. She was referring to my child. I said, yes, when .... is bored. The teacher looked taken aback. Apparently the teacher had a habit of asking parents that question. I never heard of any parents asked that question ever again.

That reminds me of a teacher my son had in reception. She was known for, shall we say, having a weaker form of discipline, in that the children were often not behaving well in class.

One day , she told me that sometimes, my son liked to ‘ run’ the class. I replied, ‘ well, someone’s got to do it!’

And yes, what on earth is a ‘ pushing game?’ Honestly feel like giving up?

Mollygo Tue 06-Jul-21 11:12:07

I’d really like to hear what the pushing game is. I asked my DGC (primary and secondary and they all immediately said pushing isn’t allowed, even in the playground.

User7777 Tue 06-Jul-21 10:32:40

This reminds me of the time, a teacher, slid up to me in the playground and said, Do you find .... is naughty. She was referring to my child. I said, yes, when .... is bored. The teacher looked taken aback. Apparently the teacher had a habit of asking parents that question. I never heard of any parents asked that question ever again.

amymorris01 Wed 09-Jun-21 13:03:49

Yes GRANNY 23 that holiday camp childrens "entertainer" should be investigated that is wrong on so many levels.