Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bus passes

(123 Posts)
granbabies123 Sun 13-Jun-21 13:59:05

Hi I'm sure this will have been asked before but I haven't seen it and need an answer.
I'm 64 this year so was one of those who missed their pension at 60 but what I'm most annoyed at is not getting my bus pass. I do not drive.
I understand Wales and Scotland (still not fair) getting it at 60 with different rules but my question is I live in England ,London is in England so why have they got free transport at 60 but not the rest of us. Very unjust. Can anyone explain.

Witzend Mon 14-Jun-21 10:39:09

A bit off topic, but in areas with very good public transport, like ours (SW London) I’m sure bus passes (or our Freedom Passes) keep a lot of cars off the road, so are environmentally friendly.

I certainly use my car a lot less since having my FP - makes no sense to have to pay to park if I can go for free. As a bonus, the walk to and from bus stops probably adds around 1000 steps per trip.
I only take the car for shopping now, if I’m doing a really big food shop, e.g. pre Christmas. Otherwise it’s usually little and often, walk there (downhill!) get the bus back.

AlysonH Mon 14-Jun-21 11:13:36

You are lucky to have busses - a bus pass in my village in Cumbria would be no use at all...

Worthingpatchworker Mon 14-Jun-21 11:14:47

I got my old age bus pass this weekend. Yes I have received free prescriptions since age 60 and I get free eye tests every two years.
The disabled persons bus pass is not linked to age.
As my state pension has been delayed by six years I am to try to receive all the older person benefits I am able to.
Like many others born in 50s, I’ve worked long and hard. Time to enjoy it.

FarNorth Mon 14-Jun-21 11:18:43

we English are paying into the same pot but not getting the same back out of it.

It's a decision made by the government of the country you live in, on how to use the funds available to them.
So take it up with your MP.

jaylucy Mon 14-Jun-21 11:26:01

Me too! The one good thing about turning 60 was the thought of getting a bus pass!
I don't drive and have used buses to get to and from the nearest towns since I was 11 when I passed the 11 plus for grammer school then started paying fares from 17 when I got my first job.
Think I have spent nearly enough to buy my own bus!
It's currently costing me £8.20 for a return ticket for a 20 mile round trip! Where I live, there is one company doing the town travel and another the rural so if I have a hospital appointment, it will cost at least £10 as you can't use the tickets from one company on the other company's buses!
That bus pass can't be handed to me soon enough!

Jillsewing Mon 14-Jun-21 11:28:01

I live in Wales but I am English I understand why you think this is unfair, I would swop this for better medical attention we often wait longer as we don’t have a hospital and then When you see a doctor oh no you can’t have that you live in Wales. I suppose it’s swings and roundabouts. I waited twice the length of time for my knee replacement.

Kamiso Mon 14-Jun-21 11:36:22

I am in the Midlands and pretty sure I got my pass at 60.

Mine’s for buses, trains within the Midlands, and trams which have been withdrawn temporarily because of some kind of fault. We can’t travel til after 9.30.

Beanie654321 Mon 14-Jun-21 11:37:43

We are the same I was looking forward to my bus pass but not for us. Apparently it depends on the council. I live in Warrington and have to wait until I get my pension but those living in Halton get theirs at 60 years. I feel it is so unfair too.

Twig14 Mon 14-Jun-21 11:42:29

I agree with ExD about unfair care home charges as she quite rightly said the English are paying into the same pot but not getting the same out of it. My elderly parents worked hard all their lives n never claimed a thing. Now their savings and home will be used to pay for care home fees!!! Others never saved n don’t pay anything!!!’

Ann29 Mon 14-Jun-21 11:58:54

I live in Merseyside and if you are 60 you get 0free bus and train travel in the Merseyside area.

Chardy Mon 14-Jun-21 12:02:01

Witzend

A bit off topic, but in areas with very good public transport, like ours (SW London) I’m sure bus passes (or our Freedom Passes) keep a lot of cars off the road, so are environmentally friendly.

I certainly use my car a lot less since having my FP - makes no sense to have to pay to park if I can go for free. As a bonus, the walk to and from bus stops probably adds around 1000 steps per trip.
I only take the car for shopping now, if I’m doing a really big food shop, e.g. pre Christmas. Otherwise it’s usually little and often, walk there (downhill!) get the bus back.

I was going to make a similar point witzend. If the county council's environment pot of money is subsidising the bus pass pot, they can have a lower age.

And if an area has a significantly higher proportion of older folk, that again may have to be factored in.

Paperbackwriter Mon 14-Jun-21 12:05:52

Blossoming

OK,Mr. Google reveals the following info. Freedom pass rules are the same for London as elsewhere, currently you have to be 66 or over (state pension age for women). However, TFL have a scheme where those 60+ living in a London borough get a free Oystercard valid on TFL journeys. I hope that answers your question granbabies123

This is exactly right. Strangely - as i'm no fan of his - we have Boris to thank for the 60+ London Oyster card. When he was mayor he decided it was unjust that suddenly everyone had to wait another few years when already many over 60s already had a Freedom pass. I LOVE mine - looking forward to using it again. It's been sitting in my bag without an outing for the past 15 months now.

Annaram1 Mon 14-Jun-21 12:08:38

I am in Devon now, but lived in Dorset when I was 60. I got the bus pass and merrily used it all over Dorset. We visited London once and it was accepted there too. I haven't used mine now for over a year.

moggie57 Mon 14-Jun-21 12:10:25

If you are registered disabled or having a hearing problem you can apply for a disabled freedom pass

Riggie Mon 14-Jun-21 12:34:09

Diffeferent councils have different rules. Here it covers buses (anywhere) and some local trains, a relative a couple of miles over the county border doesnt get the trains.

Mazz21 Mon 14-Jun-21 13:09:41

I live in a Dorset village and had to wait till nearly 66 to get mine. This was immediately before the first lockdown. We have one bus that also covers the school runs, doesn’t exist after 6pm or at weekends so I’ve used the pass once. On that occasion there was a car broken down which closed the road so I was late getting to where I needed to be so just stayed in the bus and came straight back home! grin

GardenofEngland Mon 14-Jun-21 13:23:12

I got mine in April 66yrs. I do drive but I have made so much use of it. I don't understand people who 'don't do public transport' like many of my friends. Since getting my pass I have even ventured a coastal ride from Folkestone to Rye it was nearly 2 hours of great scenery. Husband who is 76 has used his pass more in 2 months than the last 16 years!

Coggers94 Mon 14-Jun-21 13:30:19

In London you can apply for a free 60+ oyster card,even if you are still working. You can apply online.

Dottynan Mon 14-Jun-21 13:30:21

In England a man can get the bus pass for free travel when reaching the female state pension age. They kept that one quiet

4allweknow Mon 14-Jun-21 14:25:29

I have a bus pass but no access to buses unless I drive two miles and pay for parking and that is for local area only. If I want to go out of area I ha e to drive 18 miles for a bus don't need to pay for parking there.

danceagran Mon 14-Jun-21 14:33:41

I'm 74 and live in a rural area. I've had a bus pass since I turned 60. Only problem is - bus services have gradually been cut until there is no bus service left here at all.

keriku Mon 14-Jun-21 14:35:39

I am in Scotland, so was given a bus pass last December when I turned 60. I then broke my foot at the new year so couldn’t go anywhere! We had planned to use it quite a lot but we are still wary of going very far. It’s a great system though and I’m extremely grateful for it. Prior to the national scheme, our local council was one of the first to implement bus passes, I know as I used to work for the council and take the photos! Folk used to moan back then as you had to pay a small amount at peak times.

JdotJ Mon 14-Jun-21 14:53:04

Blossoming

OK,Mr. Google reveals the following info. Freedom pass rules are the same for London as elsewhere, currently you have to be 66 or over (state pension age for women). However, TFL have a scheme where those 60+ living in a London borough get a free Oystercard valid on TFL journeys. I hope that answers your question granbabies123

It's a one off payment of £20 for a over 60s in London who do not yet qualify for a free pass.

homefarm Mon 14-Jun-21 15:12:24

I live in a rural area with no buses but I applied to the council anyway, just to see if I could get one, so I have one that is unusable.

joysutty Mon 14-Jun-21 15:14:13

Oh, crickey, yes, Dont get me going on this Sorry Subject. I am 63 and missed my state pension at the age of 60, when so many of my friends who are just slightly older than me got theirs at age of 60 as well as - yes, their BUS PASS in England. But an old friend from my teenage years in the North has moved to North Wales a few years ago and has already got her bus pass at 60, yes, different as they didnt change the age limit over there, and it infurates me as my husband who is 8 years older than me can travel on bus in England so if we wanted to could have a trip out and have a drink without him having to drive me as I dont drive myself etiher these days - although I used to - but which now have lost confidence in doing as so many idiots now on the roads and seen a few near misses for my husband just being on the road and he being in the right, so it would come in very handy. I did wonder whether or not to chain myself to the railing of No.10 Downing Street in protest but guess I would be arrested firstly and definately would need the loo is the other thing with bladder issues being a woman of a certain age. Ha Ha !1 But joking apart it was disgusting of this Government on pensions and our local authority to change the guidelines for age on our bus pass but guess ultimately then that was also a Government decision on bus passes.