Gransnet forums

AIBU

What tastes, sounds and smells do you miss from yesteryear?

(114 Posts)
Kiwigramz Fri 25-Jun-21 12:32:11

For me it is the white celery with the pointed root at the bottom. We used to fight over it ?, potted meat, bacon rind, Symingtons table cream (similar to blancmange).

Finally I miss the wonderful smell of steam trains, and hearing men whistle on their way to work .

Lincslass Sun 24-Oct-21 16:59:46

shysal

The smell of steam engines. I lived near a railway as a child and liked to stand on the bridge as the train went underneath.

Lucky to live near a heritage steam line, visit often, very nostalgic.

Greeneyez Sun 24-Oct-21 16:24:46

I miss the days when I would come home from school and mom's delicious homemade bread would be ready to eat. Actually everything she made smelled good. ?

Auntieflo Sat 16-Oct-21 18:52:29

The smell of the white school glue, in pots, that reminded me of marzipan.

The whiff you got when going past Brentford gas works on the trolley bus.

Ethelwashere1 Sat 16-Oct-21 18:47:05

I loved the smell of pear drops, scones in the oven, the christmas eve smell of oranges, roast pork, or chicken, cinnamon etc. I too loved the clitheroe kid.

Yammy Sat 16-Oct-21 18:36:13

"Love mist by Yardley ", in a spray can I was told my much younger BIL accused me of the stink after playing with his dog. .

Trisha57 Sat 16-Oct-21 18:28:28

PinkCosmos Oh those Yardley perfumes! Sea Jade was one of my favourites. You could get it in a sort of cream in a little glass jar. Takes me right back to the 70s!!!

Yammy Sat 16-Oct-21 18:11:38

Parma violet sweets, mums Ponds vanishing cream and dads greenhouse with the warm tomatoes and his first new potatoes straight out of the garden. Opening a brand new book I use a kindle now to read in the night.

oodles Sat 16-Oct-21 13:05:02

I loved aqua manda too. Saw it on sale a few years ago and tried it, glad I did because it wasn't the same, far too clove based, not citrussy and sweet.
My dad used hair oil when I was little, called honey and flowers. Very distinctive scent
In a winters day, the smell of coal fires, in Scotland the scent of peat fires. One nasty smell thankful hs gone is the brickwork, that filled your lungs with sulphur dioxide, Lord knows what that did to your lungs. Back in the day when you had small local slaughterhouses the blood was spread on the fields afterwards, not nice at all. Hate the smell of petrol and remember when I was little it made me. Feel really sick in the car afterwards

Marmight Sat 16-Oct-21 08:00:12

Kate1949

Tar. When they used to tar the roads. We used to watch the steam rollers rolling down the street.

My MiL apparently used to take my late DH to roadworks to breathe in the smell of tar when he had a cough/cold ?

Ali08 Sat 16-Oct-21 05:44:38

felice
4711 is still available. In the same little bottles, too!

Tar, oh yes, I love the smell.
My dad worked on a lorry & I just love the smell of the thick black grease. That, brillcreme & Old Spice aftershave remind me of him so much. Such lovely memories!

Shelflife Thu 07-Oct-21 22:18:56

Happy days !! Pammiel.

Pammie1 Thu 07-Oct-21 22:15:59

@Shelflife. Indeed it does !! I loved Blue grass - I think it was made by Elizabeth Arden and the bottle was gorgeous. I also remember when I first discovered Anais Anais - I was in my late teens and thought I was ever so sophisticated !!

Shelflife Thu 07-Oct-21 22:05:41

I remember Aqua Manda , think another I loved was Blue Grass- hope my memory serves me well on that ?

Pammie1 Thu 07-Oct-21 21:53:08

Sunday morning when I was a kid. We’d all pitch in to prepare the sunday lunch and then we’d have a late breakfast of bacon and eggs whilst listening to one of the great radio comedies of the day - The Navy Lark, Hancock’s Half Hour or Round the Horn. I’m also instantly transported back to my childhood by the theme to The Archers, as my mum was an avid follower of that and Mrs Dale’s Diary. And yes, GrandmaRosie, I do remember Aqua Manda - although I can’t recall the smell exactly, but I remember the bright packaging.

Juliet27 Wed 08-Sep-21 17:46:26

Bellanonna

Does anyone remember ZamBuk?

It’s still available

Juliet27 Wed 08-Sep-21 17:44:24

GrandmaRosie

Aqua Manda - anyone else remember it?

Yes I remember it.. there was a citrus version too I think.

MamaCaz Wed 08-Sep-21 17:28:32

I don't think I have actually 'missed' any tastes, sounds or smells until I have unexpectedly encountered them again.
Sadly, when that happens, it's as often unhappy memories that are evoked as happy ones.

This happened yesterday when walking past an old primary school in a place that I have never visited before. There was something in the sounds from the playground that brought back very unpleasant memories of my first infant school, and actually made me feel quite upset!

The smell of warm, newly-mown grass always brings back good memories though ?

avitorl Wed 08-Sep-21 16:53:36

Wild mushrooms picked fresh from a local field and then fried in butter over an open fire by my mum.

M0nica Tue 07-Sep-21 21:49:48

Morny Sandalwood. My grandmother used it.

PinkCosmos Tue 07-Sep-21 11:19:52

GrandmaRosie

Aqua Manda - anyone else remember it?

Yes, me. I didn't realise this had been posted. I smelled of oranges. I think they brought it back a few years ago but I haven't seen it recently.

PinkCosmos Tue 07-Sep-21 11:13:09

Caprice and Sea Jade perfume by Yardley. My first perfumes. Also Kiku and Aqua Manda

The smell of tomatoes growing in my granddads greenhouse.

They also had Pears soap which I still use although it doesn't seem to smell as strong as it used to do

suzette1613 Tue 07-Sep-21 11:06:59

Mitsouko scent, my late mother’s favourite.
I still keep an empty bottle in my tights drawer, but the smell is fading now.

M0nica Thu 02-Sep-21 19:47:29

The smell of a grocers shop. That mix of cheese, bacon, biscuits, lose in a box, and all the other things they sold that contributed to that unique aroma.

Sweetpeasue Thu 02-Sep-21 19:43:18

The sticky fudgy caramel sauce that was served to go with the ice-cream at school.
Biting into the Mars bar when the chocolate was a 1/4 inch thick and had a generous layer of caramel.
Two missing molars. ?

lemongrove Thu 02-Sep-21 18:29:52

PaperMonster

Greyduster I really should buy some! (Coal tar soap!)

It’s really good for mild psoriasis.

I also loved the smell of tar, and poking a stick into melting puddles of it at the edge of the road.
The aroma from men’s pipe smoking or cigars.
Hearing men whistle as they worked ?and women singing as they did the housework.
Potted meat ( as others say) bought from the butcher, also beef dripping .
Crisps with little blue twists of paper containing salt, and scraps from the fish and chip shop.
Lily of the valley bath cubes.