Gransnet forums

AIBU

Slang words which make me cringe ?

(130 Posts)
Corryanna Sat 26-Jun-21 18:18:24

My husband thinks I’m being a bit silly over this, but why can’t the BBC, ITV and everywhere else talking about the vaccination, call the injection the vaccination, or double vaccination ? Instead they call it the JAB!!!! It drives me mad every time I hear it. Honestly, “double jabbed” for pity’s sake! Anyone with me on that one?

Doodledog Sat 11-Sep-21 16:30:16

I can take or leave ‘jabbed’ but ‘uni’ is nails on a blackboard to me, specially on anyone over 40.

Shelbel Sat 11-Sep-21 15:20:29

I know these are not strictly slang words but I hate the expression 'steak dinner' and 'all the trimmings'. Just sounds so naf.

Floradora9 Tue 07-Sep-21 21:56:56

arvo for afternoon , delish , crimbo , any word shortened for no good reason really .

Grandmagrim Tue 07-Sep-21 18:52:00

I much prefer vaccination to jab, but absolutely detest ‘deets’ instead of details, holibobs, going forward in place of in the future and last but not least mebbes.

Boz Thu 02-Sep-21 12:45:18

I had a friend who talked about her "poorlies" when having her period. Also hate the phase "a coffee"; can't you have two?

goose1964 Thu 02-Sep-21 12:35:11

Some of these are regional, some are younger generations speak but some are just lazy, my 2 year old granddaughter says Din dins when she's hungry.

Gabrielle56 Tue 31-Aug-21 09:47:05

I just hated the term used for going to a club after the pub "going for a boogie" aaargh! Or a"bop" what's worse is when these terms are used by old or middle aged women who still think they're teens......cringeworthy

Witzend Wed 25-Aug-21 09:22:29

There’s some current TV add on buying a used car, that makes me want to chuck a brick at the TV every time. The bloke just looks irritating for a start, plus he drops every available T.
Ending with, ‘You’re in the driving seat now, Bri’ain!’ ?

For the sake of my blood pressure I really must do more recording and zooming through the ads.

Kate54 Wed 25-Aug-21 09:07:37

Jezra above sentiments from Scribbles echoed and many apologies for the timing of my contribution - not the most appropriate positioning in the circumstances.

Scribbles Tue 24-Aug-21 23:22:14

Jezra, that's appalling. I appreciate that, at such a time, you don't need any extra stress and probably wouldn't want to make an official complaint but somebody really does need to take that nurse aside and have a quiet word about more appropriate, professional use of language. My best wishes to you through a sad time.flowers

Kate54 Tue 24-Aug-21 22:32:15

More of a euphemism rather than slang but ‘passed away’ or, worse, ‘passed’. Why can’t anyone say ‘died’ any more? The use of ‘passed on’ or ‘over’ implies a belief in the after life. This one has come from the USA and is, sadly, probably here to stay.

Jezra Tue 24-Aug-21 22:19:02

“On” not “in”

Jezra Tue 24-Aug-21 22:18:31

Oh@Scribbles!
Talking of “pop” or “popping”
The nurse from my mum’s nursing home phoned me and said, “l’m just letting you know that I’m popping your mum in end of life care.”
Hardly an appropriate word to use under the circumstances. ?

Jezra Tue 24-Aug-21 22:15:28

Tbh I can’t stand the advert for Yorkshire Tea. Yorkshire - where everything is done proper! Except the proper use of grammar. ?

Witzend Sat 14-Aug-21 10:17:14

Again not slang as such, but ‘a newborn’ instead of ‘a new baby’.
Hardly anybody seems to have a new baby nowadays, they’re all ‘newborns’.

Scribbles Fri 13-Aug-21 12:00:35

I know it's illogical but Pop makes me grind my teeth - as in "just pop it down there",or "I'm just popping out to the shops".
I expect to hear a small explosive sound!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 13-Aug-21 11:45:01

Really don’t mind the word jab but hate, just hate the word gotten

Blossoming Fri 13-Aug-21 10:42:22

Gobsmacked. Ugly word innit?grin

PinkCosmos Fri 13-Aug-21 09:48:14

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread

'Grab' really gets on my nerves e.g. I will just grab a sandwich etc.

Also, jumping into things e.g. I'll just jump in the car/bath/etc.

nanna8 Fri 13-Aug-21 00:49:06

Veggies, brekkie, sunnies, addy(address). Australians shorten just about anything. Think I’ll take a sickie today !

Rosycheeks Mon 09-Aug-21 07:43:46

Jab ok. Do able not ok why cant they say it can be done.
Top Banana and Your A Star. WHY!!!!

eazybee Sat 07-Aug-21 18:46:46

'Bub' or 'bubba' for baby. Sounds like a plague boil.

And the reverse of slang: no one seems to have tea, high tea, dinner or evening meal any more; everyone has supper, sometimes a kitchen supper.

Himdowntheroad Sat 07-Aug-21 17:20:27

I hate the word kids for children.

I always think 'you've got young goats?'

When I was in my 30s I had a partner who was in her 40s and she would talk about her titties. That was a word we'd maybe use in our teenage years but not in our 30s and 40s

thelbg Sat 07-Aug-21 15:14:26

I hate the expression “quit or quitting” in relation to smoking cessation. Why cant it be “stopped” smoking, or “giving up”smoking ?

Kali2 Thu 01-Jul-21 20:57:45

most of you would have hated that man Shakespeare.