Gransnet forums

AIBU

Just had my hair cut

(125 Posts)
Sallywally1 Mon 28-Jun-21 20:57:07

Does anyone else hate it and find it traumatic.? It’s not as if it is at a salon anymore (those ghastly bright lights and large mirrors!). He comes to my house and cuts it.

I still hate it though, especially when I’m asked to look and admire it in a mirror! Am I neurotic?

Ali08 Mon 24-Oct-22 12:45:49

I prefer men's barbers. You tell them what you want and they do it!
No fuss, no 'would you like a little colour in? Shall I just cut a bit extra off? How about this style, I think it would suit you better?'
Bollocks, I'll go to the barber when my grandson or him indoors go, and he'll give me a straightforward cut how I want it!!

BladeAnnie Thu 20-Oct-22 08:45:58

I never used to like going to the hairdressers until I found, quite by chance, a wonderful hairdresser. She listens and makes suggestions but does exactly the right thing for me. The salon where she worked closed but she is now mobile and comes to the house which I do prefer. She is a lovely and very talented young lady and she was a real find. BTW I didn't like going to the hairdressers because of a comment made by my mother when I was in my twenties - "your hair is too short for your fat face" ?. Took me about 35 years to get over that one but thankfully I have

Vintagejazz Thu 20-Oct-22 08:35:30

Jaffacake2

I came back from the hairdressers yesterday in tears after it was pointed out to me that my hair was thinning badly on the top. Told it was aging although only 65 . I asked whether it might be because I have been ill over last few months having been in hospital twice. No was the stern reply it's age.
To add a further insult I was charged more than usual because she is a senior stylist !

I would highly recommend a topper. It's like a mini wig that you clip into your own hair. It was a game changer for me.

LRavenscroft Wed 19-Oct-22 21:14:49

Years ago the hairdresser would zhush and flick back my hair so that when I walked down the street I could admire myself in shop windows. (Vain or what?!). Now, a million years later I leave the hairdressers with a modern utilitarian cut which looks as if it has not been done. I am quiet about how I feel about it but would love to go back to the Farah Fawcett Major side flicks. Time is cruel.

Grammy666 Wed 19-Oct-22 15:52:45

I really hate all the Chatty Chat Chat !!! OMG why do i have to listen to all their nonsense ?.. Just cut my hair and let me go .. well after paying obs ... and dont get me going about tips >>>

Serendipity22 Wed 21-Sep-22 20:37:38

Well I used to absolutely loath ( with a passion ) going to hairdressers, so i did my own for years, the loathing was born from past experiences, but in the past year I have rolled my sleeves up and found an absolutely fantastic hairdressers which I admit I really enjoy going to.

Maybe its through past experiences that you dislike ?

smile

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 20-Sep-22 17:12:38

Ginavella, I could have written your post!

Lizzie44 Tue 20-Sep-22 16:20:24

The only bit of going to the hairdresser that I enjoy is the head massage (all too brief) after the hair wash. I dislike the rest of it, particularly the inane forced chat. Katharine Whitehorn, the late Observer journalist, once wrote that if asked by your hairdresser how you want your hair cut the only sensible answer is "in silence".

Ginavella Fri 16-Sep-22 13:54:25

I hate it too! And the fact that I pay a fortune then go home and do it again. I always admire other ladies in the salon who look stunning and can't understand why I never leave with a cut and blow dry that looks like I've just had it done.

ExDancer Fri 16-Sep-22 09:42:33

My husband arranged for his cousin (qualified hairdresser) to come to the house to cut his super-thick mane, and I asked her to do mine too. Big mistake.
She takes a whole hour to cut one head, wet cut with no blow-dry or anything, so thats almost 2hrs of her time and she charges us £40 for the two, so I suppose she's only getting £20 an hour and has to cover her petrol etc - all the same it seems a bit steep, though I have no idea what salons charge in town.
I don't like the way she cuts it, but how can I go elsewhere without causing offence?

Buffy Fri 16-Sep-22 09:11:03

Mirrors vary so much and I think hairdressers have the worst. I never look quite as bad in my own mirrors as I do at the hairdressers or in M & S changing rooms. My lady agreed her mirror is too honest.

FlexibleFriend Thu 15-Sep-22 21:54:29

I have a great hairdresser, she happily does whatever I ask. I usually take a photo with me of what I want, currently it's very short and choppy. Only cost me 20 quid too. I think she's too cheap and tell her so, she got a 5 quid tip on top. They are friendly and happy to chat if I want to or let me nod off when I'm shattered. It's a mother and daughter set up with a resident dog, I always leave there feeling happy. I once took a photo in and she cut it exactly as I asked, except I didn't like it and after a week booked another appointment, told her what had happened and she did it again but to a different photo. I loved it but she refused to accept anything in payment at all. We argued because she'd done exactly what I asked it wasn't her fault I couldn't get on with it, but then again I keep going back and didn't hesitate to go back to her rather than look elsewhere to sort it out. I recommend her constantly because she's really good, she listens and goes the extra mile. I consider her a friend.

DaisyAlice Thu 15-Sep-22 20:58:39

I always have a 'wet cut' which is shampoo and cut with a rough dry. No products or blow drying. Cheaper than cut and style too.

Happysexagenarian Thu 15-Sep-22 20:51:28

I like going to the hairdresser. My hairdresser is the salon proprietor and does a really good cut. She always spends time discussing how I'd like it and offering advice about the condition, if needed. I don't mind the mirrors, the low key
background music, the coffee is tasty, and we exchange any news since my last visit but are quite at ease with each other if conversation wanes. However, I haven't been to the salon for over a year because after the lockdowns she increased her prices considerably. I can't really justify spending over £60 a month on my hair!

So I've been cutting it myself in a short bob. I manage OK, but I struggle with blow drying, it makes my arms and shoulders ache. So recently I've been considering a complete restyle - something like a pixie cut (a bit longer on the top), a style I can wash, comb and leave. But if I have it cut then I'll have to have it trimmed regularly again so I'm undecided confused

I once tried to book an appointment at a Toni & Guy salon. The receptionist looked me up and down critically and told me they didn't do 'shampoo and sets'! I was about 45. I replied" And you clearly don't do good manners either" and walked out.

bikergran Thu 15-Sep-22 19:32:50

Think I may go back to cutting my own hmm

Corkie91 Thu 15-Sep-22 18:52:42

I love going to the hairdressers it a real treat and a time to relax, I would go every week if I could afford it

Sandynan Thu 15-Sep-22 18:44:26

Me too, hate looking at myself in the mirror, luckily once I’ve taken my glasses off I can’t see! But then I can’t hear very well either , without my glasses ?

henetha Thu 15-Sep-22 18:15:32

I'm still cutting my own hair as I detest going to hairdressers. Thank goodness I can still do it myself, even my pink streaks.

bikergran Thu 15-Sep-22 18:04:02

I also hate going, my last visit was last Thursday, I knew my hairdresser prior from our dance class many moons, ago.

I turned up on Thursday and got the feeling she had forgotten I was booked in, she sort of checked her diary, at the time she was attending to another client which was unusual as normally no one else in when I go. My hair isn't anything special short and boring for me.

Anyway 30 mins later it was my turn 10.00 (my app was 9.30)
So had wash/cut blow dry and was back outside for 10.20.

Went to my dads straight after, his words " thought you were going hairdressers"! When I saw my dd later in the afternoon first thing was "you said you were going hairdressers"!!!!

I've been going about 4yrs, I looked in car mirror and it looked no diff from when I went in, I know she was rushing as, she wanted to finish at 2.00.

I left it until 4 days later and msg her, could I re bookmy hair as it won't do anything and looks messy and no one believed I had been.

It's not really like me to complain but just lately I find I speak my mind, I'm not willing to waste £20.that I have worked hard 2 hours for, for a 15/20 min hair trim.

Hairdresser going to book me back in so we shall see.

Mushroom head comes to mind, where as I'm normally short cropped. Hmmmm

Sleepygran Thu 15-Sep-22 17:11:04

I dislike going to the hairdresser.I now go to her house but the stairs are becoming a bit difficult now.She’s the only one who (usually) does my hair how I like it.
I’ve let the colour go natural grey now,so it reducing the number of appointments!
When she gives up I think I will and just chop bits off myself!

Scotsmum Thu 15-Sep-22 16:46:18

How sad to read of the upset experienced by so many posters. I feel nothing but sympathy for you all as I used to be the same going to the dentist - panic attacks. You are sensible not to put yourselves through it if you don't have to. My ex husband hated having his hair touched.

But I love love love going to have my hair done - although never like to see the unvarnished truth looking back at me myself - so old and saggy...vanity has a lot to answer for!
I go regularly about 3 times a year with a quick (free) fringe trim in between. It's a small local salon and it's great having an update from the lovely lady who cuts, colours and blow dries it. There's always hot chocolate for me in place of coffee (yuk) and I can have deep conditioning treatment if I like, which would be difficult to do at home.
The crucial thing is, she listens to what I ask for, discusses, checks carefully - and then does it. And she's very reasonable. It's my huge treat.

It does wonders for my self-esteem as I never fail to get compliments, even from random strangers. My mental and physical health is often not too great so having good hair feels like a bit of a shield and deflects concerned enquiries. If that makes any sense.
I've never left unhappy. But the same cannot be said of many others, particularly the one who messed up my wedding hair.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 15-Sep-22 16:36:55

I have only been to a hairdresser three or four times in my whole life, and I am seventy now.

I loathe and detest strangers touching my hair or face.

So I have long hair, as I always have had, except for the year when I was seven, and my mother stupidly let her aunt tell her that my headaches were due to my plaits being too heavy! The headaches were cause by my needing glasses, and once that was sorted I persuade my mother to let me grow my hair long again.

I have washed, styled, trimmed it myself since I was fourteen, And quite honestly, when I see what ladies' hairdressers charge, I wonder how anyone on a state pension can afford to go to one?

But then you possible wonder how I can afford vet's bills!

Tastes differ.

But why go to a hairdresser, or have one come in, if you dislike the experience? Let your hair grow, or get a friend to cut it for you.

SolitarySpirit Thu 15-Sep-22 15:14:17

I think I’ve only been to the hairdressers about three or four times in my life, I loathe the whole experience. I’ve only had a trim or a colour but would never stay to get my hair blow dried, I’d stay long enough to get whatever procedure I needed done and that was it. I’ve always done my own hair apart from those few times. I did go to a barbers to get my head shaved for charity once, in and out in ten minutes, much better!

Jaylou Thu 15-Sep-22 14:51:12

I actually do prefer the dentist to the hairdresser, I can just lie there and relax, never had a filling in my life, so never find it stressful.
I think when I look in the mirror after a haircut it seems to emphasize a round face with small eyes. Because of this I always put on extra make-up so when I do look in the mirror, my good(ish) points are accentuated. But I have now found the best haircut for my shape, but it is always a shock to the system.

Luckylegs Thu 15-Sep-22 14:35:10

I’ve gone to my lovely hairdresser for at least 26 years and love him dearly. He has so much going on with other businesses and staff interrupting now that I feel he’s got complacent with me, I nervously changed my appointment to another man who I’ve known for years in the same premises and I can’t believe the attention I got! He went with the colourist and studied my history and advised how to do my colour section by section, he was so attentive. I feel dreadfully guilty about G though but I suppose he won’t mind.

But G did upset me once though, like you Jaffacake, I’m past my menopause, am on chemo, had lots of colours over the years and once, out of the blue, G picked up some hair and said ‘what’s happened to your hair, it used to be so thick, now it’s terribly thin, you can see your scalp at the top and look, it’s all breaking off’! As you can imagine, I burst into tears, I was so upset and embarrassed. He also said stupidly, ‘come off chemo then, it’s ruining your hair’! I said I couldn’t, I would die! Anyway, he told me to use Nioxin which I have and reduced my dose a little (purely non related) and my hair is a lot better, not quite the thick and abundant of my youth but it’ll do.