Gransnet forums

AIBU

I thought the younger generation cared about the planet?

(115 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Sep-21 13:07:00

This is an aerial photo of the debris left after Reading Festival last weekend.

Thousands of tents abandoned, along with anything they could not be bothered to pack up and take home with them.

This is the generation bemoaning climate change and blaming us older folks, it makes me so very cross…

grannypiper Wed 01-Sep-21 15:55:07

My son used to go to the Download festival, every year he came home with a better tent, chair, sleeping bag an cool bags than what he went with ( he brought his old things back too) The last year he went, he arranged for my Husband to pick him up in one of his work trucks. DS had bought a stack of tents, chairs and coolbags. He stored them in my husbands yard during the winter and come the summer he sold "festival packs" made up from the bargains he had bought the year before. He made enough to travel Europe for 6 months.

JaneJudge Wed 01-Sep-21 16:36:57

GrannyGravy13

JaneJudge when our children were going to festivals they could not afford to leave their tents and equipment behind each time as that would have meant them having to continually purchase new stuff for each occasion.

Mine wouldn't be able to afford to leave stuff either fwiw

JaneJudge Wed 01-Sep-21 16:37:26

grannypiper, that's brilliant grin

Shinamae Wed 01-Sep-21 16:40:20

grannypiper

My son used to go to the Download festival, every year he came home with a better tent, chair, sleeping bag an cool bags than what he went with ( he brought his old things back too) The last year he went, he arranged for my Husband to pick him up in one of his work trucks. DS had bought a stack of tents, chairs and coolbags. He stored them in my husbands yard during the winter and come the summer he sold "festival packs" made up from the bargains he had bought the year before. He made enough to travel Europe for 6 months.

Good for him ??????????

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 01-Sep-21 16:43:35

Throwaway society, easier to leave something that costs very little.
When we used to go camping tents were too expensive to leave behind, plus they were soooo heavy and made of thick canvas.
Blame cheap imports and a mindset of people who can’t be A***d to pick up their rubbish.
And guess what ? There are no consequences!
No fines for littering as the cost of picking up the rubbish is built into the cost of the tickets, so it just goes on.

Amberone Wed 01-Sep-21 16:55:40

Apparently the end was awful people were pouring petrol on tents and setting fire to them and also people were pouring urine on peoples possessions and smearing the tents with faeces.

I was so gobsmacked by this I googled it. It seems to have been going on for years and is considered part of the Sunday night entertainment by many. People are now employed to go around putting the fires out. Apparently smearing faeces on their tents is a way of marking their property to keep others out of their tent - which may explain why so many are left behind. Part of the Sunday night 'games' is destroying other people's property.

Jackiest Wed 01-Sep-21 20:05:52

I am glad I don't go to large Festivals.

MissAdventure Wed 01-Sep-21 20:13:58

I don't need to go to festivals to see rubbish strewn all over the place.
I live near a senior school, and see no evidence whatsoever of the parents or teenagers having any regard for the environment.

Callistemon Wed 01-Sep-21 20:59:10

MissAdventure

I don't need to go to festivals to see rubbish strewn all over the place.
I live near a senior school, and see no evidence whatsoever of the parents or teenagers having any regard for the environment.

All along the roadside in an AONB. angry
At one time old MacDonald had a farm, now it's MacDonalds rubbish everywhere. And the rest.

JaneJudge Wed 01-Sep-21 21:00:56

well it is more than clear I live by Jack Daniels too

TerriBull Thu 02-Sep-21 08:15:17

I thought the pictures pretty shocking too GG, after all in the main festival goers will be members of the generation most affected by everything associated with global warming. My sons were both festival goers, but I know the tent came back because it's in our garage.

fiorentina51 Thu 02-Sep-21 08:28:46

There was a comment earlier that many festival goers are the older generation.
That might be the case for some festivals but the vast majority attending Leeds festival are under 30, mainly mid to late teens.

festivalvanlife.com/are-reading-and-leeds-festivals-safe-for-16-18-year-olds/

Regardless of age, the mess left behind is totally unacceptable.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Sep-21 08:35:20

This is a photo from a hot air balloon of the aftermath of Reading Festival

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 02-Sep-21 08:41:23

We thought exactly the same OP. It goes to show...that no matter what anyone tries to do, governments or otherwise, we’re always going to be fighting against this appalling mindset.

I just find it’s everywhere. Of course, it’s not solely young people I would imagine, there are the older ones who’ve retained the same way of thinking as when they were young.

Hetty58 Thu 02-Sep-21 08:41:41

GrannyGravy13:

'I thought the younger generation cared about the planet?'

Why should they when we so obviously don't? They're just following our brilliant example - aren't they?

(Not you, of course, if you're vegan, don't drive, never holiday abroad - or consume imported, out of season food.)

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 02-Sep-21 08:48:24

why should they when we obviously don’t?

Hopefully, many young people won’t take this stance. I’m sure there’s many with the good sense to behave properly.

Hetty58 Thu 02-Sep-21 08:54:36

The festival is a bad example really. People are employed to clean it up, after all. Litter left everywhere else is a real problem.

I was trying to point out that caring about the planet involves a whole lot more than not littering. We've left a terrible mess and looming disaster for future generations, though, haven't we?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Sep-21 09:18:53

Hetty58 we all have a responsibility to do our bit for the planet, it’s not so much the littering it is the throwaway mentality of Festival goers. Only a small percentage of tents, sleeping bags and other camping equipment can be cleaned and reused.

When you see pictures of the detritus left behind at festivals on the news and the next item is Extinction Rebellion blocking roads, defacing buildings and monuments along with breaking glass windows/entry doors of JP Morgan all in London this week, what is happening to people’s mindset?

HolySox Thu 02-Sep-21 09:26:07

It all takes me back to the 1960's. Masses of litter after Woodstock. Mass protests on pollution. Now it's the grandchildren running amok...

25Avalon Thu 02-Sep-21 09:29:04

GG too much of everything in our consumer wasteful society. You should have seen all the presis gd had for her birthday. Soon I will be packing up a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child and reflecting how much happiness it will bring to a child who has nothing.

Witzend Thu 02-Sep-21 09:34:14

Here’s one that made us ?. A niece from abroad started at a boarding school with a substantial intake of Chinese pupils.

One of those had ordered via Amazon (before her arrival) so many cases of bottled water - literally dozens - they were blocking the entrance to her school house.

She had apparently been firmly convinced that tap water made your hair fall out. Though to be entirely fair, maybe the domestic water supply in her home area of China was polluted to some extent.
It had to be equally firmly explained to her that tap water here was safe, and that any such future deliveries would not be accepted.

Same niece (6th form student) told me that girls in her house would heedlessly put a washing machine on, and subsequently the tumble dryer, to wash just one item they intended to wear later.
Though I do seem to recall a TV ad for detergent - years ago now - that showed a teenage boy doing precisely this! Presumably they wouldn’t even think of such an ad now.

Alegrias1 Thu 02-Sep-21 09:34:36

Operation Christmas Child are allied with Franklin Graham's evangelical Christian "church" and does more harm than good. Its not the young who are ruining the world.

www.secularism.org.uk/opinion/2019/09/operation-christmas-child-does-its-charity-benefit-the-public

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Sep-21 09:38:39

Alegrias1

Operation Christmas Child are allied with Franklin Graham's evangelical Christian "church" and does more harm than good. Its not the young who are ruining the world.

www.secularism.org.uk/opinion/2019/09/operation-christmas-child-does-its-charity-benefit-the-public

Blimey Alegrias1 everyday is a school day on GN.

We have done many shoeboxes over the years with our now AC (scouts and Brownies etc.) and some of the GC have also done them.

Galaxy Thu 02-Sep-21 09:41:32

Yes shoeboxes for some charities are good, our primary schools all quietly stopped the Christmas child one some years ago because of the concerns about the organisation.

Alegrias1 Thu 02-Sep-21 09:45:13

Shoeboxes are such a good idea, but I think we all need to be responsible for who we donate to. Maybe some will like the Operation Christian Child ethic, but we all need to be aware of it.