Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bullies why did you do it

(147 Posts)
Sallywally1 Tue 14-Sep-21 22:38:39

I may Be being up reasonable here, but to those who bullied others in their past, why did you do it? Do you regret it? What was it about your life that made you need to put down others? What was it about your ‘victims’ that made them your target?

I suffered mercilessly in my youth and did not really get over it. And it has affected how I myself treat others now. I consider myself to have overcome my past, but I have my demons still.

Beswitched Sat 18-Sep-21 21:06:22

tickingbird

Beswitched
It's her derogatory use of the word spinster. If she'd said 'this nasty Jewish teacher'

So you equate Jewish with being derogatory do you?

Please explain to me, a Jewish woman, why the word Jewish is derogatory? It’s interesting that in a post about a child being beaten by a sadistic headteacher over nothing, you find the use of the word spinster galling. The experience of being totally overwhelmed physically and mentally merely “unpleasant”.

I won’t deny I found your reaction to my initial post amusing. My reaction to your subsequent posts is disgust.

I also used the word nasty, and subsequently 'vicious' about your ex teacher.

I don't think the word Jewish is derogatory, which is why I equated it with the word 'spinster' which should also not be used in a derogatory way. That was the exact point I was making. There is nothing wrong with being Jewish, working class or unmarried, so why mention any of these factors when talking about a brutal attack by an individual?

But I am not getting into a row about it. I totally acknowledge in case it didn't come across before, that your experience was appalling and that this sadistic woman should not have been in charge of children.

grannypiper Sat 18-Sep-21 17:06:12

One girl in my last year of primary may say i bullied her . She was very tall for her age and thought she could stand over people and intimidate them, she was forever hitting and kicking other people, she decide one day to pick on one of the 6 year old's and i just wouldn't put up with it. I told her to back off but she slapped the little one and tore her earring out. Teachers were told but the bully cried and swore i was making it up so she got away with it. I warned her that she better run home that day because if i caught her i would batter her, she though because i was short and laid back i wouldn't dare, she didn't run so i thumped and kicked her the half a mile home. Her Mother came to our door and i told her why i had battered her and that if she ever done it again i would batter her even more. She is the only person i ever hit at school and i am not in the slightest bit sorry about it.

tickingbird Sat 18-Sep-21 16:39:18

Beswitched
It's her derogatory use of the word spinster. If she'd said 'this nasty Jewish teacher'

So you equate Jewish with being derogatory do you?

Please explain to me, a Jewish woman, why the word Jewish is derogatory? It’s interesting that in a post about a child being beaten by a sadistic headteacher over nothing, you find the use of the word spinster galling. The experience of being totally overwhelmed physically and mentally merely “unpleasant”.

I won’t deny I found your reaction to my initial post amusing. My reaction to your subsequent posts is disgust.

nadateturbe Sat 18-Sep-21 16:01:54

Yes, good point Jackiest.

The use of a derogatory word is nothing compared to what tickingbird suffered Beswitched. I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Sweetpeasue Sat 18-Sep-21 13:31:21

Good point Jackiest. I'd never thought of it that way

nadateturbe Sat 18-Sep-21 09:51:10

Possibly * Jackiest* .

I think I just concentrated on how hurt the poster was by this very nasty woman, rather than on the use of the word spinster.

Jackiest Sat 18-Sep-21 09:16:45

She was not nasty because she was unmarried but maybe she was unmarried because she was nasty. I do not know her so this is just a suggestion.

Beswitched Sat 18-Sep-21 09:05:01

I'm not denying that. It's her derogatory use of the word spinster. If she'd said 'this nasty Jewish teacher' or 'this nasty working class teacher' I'm sure posters would have wondered what her ethnicity, religion or class had to do with her vicious behaviour. She behaved viviously because she was nasty, not because she was an unmarried woman.

Sweetpeasue Fri 17-Sep-21 22:23:19

She certainly was. Tickingbird suffered terribly at the hands of this teacher. This teacher was behaving in a manic way.

nadateturbe Fri 17-Sep-21 22:09:47

The woman was more than "unpleasant" Beswitched.

Nannagarra Fri 17-Sep-21 21:32:43

Thanks, Chewbacca. I also think they behave badly towards others because they need attention.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Sep-21 21:24:37

Good question Nannagarra!

Nannagarra Fri 17-Sep-21 21:20:59

Yes, Chewbacca, they cause enormous and enduring misery for others. Why should someone be victimised because a bully lacks self-esteem?

Beswitched Fri 17-Sep-21 21:19:53

tickingbird

Beswitched Thank you. My faith has been restored. I’ve been waiting since I posted about my experience with that awful woman, for someone to chirp up about my use of the word spinster.
I used it because I felt like it. She was a spinster and a nasty one at that. Strange you should be triggered by a word but not unsurprising. You’ve just won me a wager!

I have no idea why you are being so confrontational. The woman was of course, unpleasant. But that has nothing to do with her being a spinster. I have known many unmarried women who were kind and wonderful teachers. And I have encountered some unpleasant, nasty teachers who were married.
And of course there are unpleasant unmarried teachers and some lovely married teachers.
Some people are just unpleasant. Their marital status has nothing to do with it.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Sep-21 21:12:12

I think bullies must be very dissatisfied people Yes Allsorts, there's probably more than a grain of truth in that. They're deeply unhappy about something within themselves, but lack the emotional maturity to be able to express it and find a resolution that will make them feel better instead of making their victim feel terrible about themselves. Nanagarra, I agree that jealousy is a key factor in their behaviour. If they didn't wreck such havoc and misery on others, you could almost feel sorry for them couldn't you?

Nannagarra Fri 17-Sep-21 20:48:10

I couldn’t agree more Allsorts. They seem to be jealous of their victims’ capability and the attention they might receive.

Allsorts Fri 17-Sep-21 20:23:25

I think bullies must be very dissatisfied people. Possible jealous or in awe of their victims., not very nice.

Nannagarra Fri 17-Sep-21 20:16:29

How true it is that those who are “in the wrong” are often “the first ones to cry and say they are being bullied”. Deleting posts and PMs removes evidence and the possibility that bullies may be challenged, that their victims may be vindicated. People’s instinctive desire for self-preservation makes them quietly withdraw whilst manipulative bullies often deceive themselves that “they’ve done nothing wrong”. Inner honesty, as Chewbacca rightly says, should come into play. What an enlightening thread this is.

tickingbird Fri 17-Sep-21 16:11:30

Beswitched Thank you. My faith has been restored. I’ve been waiting since I posted about my experience with that awful woman, for someone to chirp up about my use of the word spinster.
I used it because I felt like it. She was a spinster and a nasty one at that. Strange you should be triggered by a word but not unsurprising. You’ve just won me a wager!

Beswitched Fri 17-Sep-21 14:23:33

tickingbird

I doubt many bullies will come forward and admit it. I was bullied occasionally at school but the worst bully was the nasty, spinster headmistress at my junior girls’ school. She absolutely beat me one day for running down the corridor. She was in a frenzy and just couldn’t stop hitting me and ragdolling me around. When she wore herself out she then made me stand in the corner facing the wall. I can still see my legs shaking and remember the confusion. I couldn’t understand why I was so bad. I think I was 8 or 9. A sadistic, nasty woman who shouldn’t have been anywhere near children.

That's a terrible story and she sounds most unsuited to her job.

However, why did you dismiss her as a 'spinster', implying that was part of the reason for her cruel treatment of a child. I thought we'd moved beyond the days when unmarried women were talked about in such a derogatory way.

VioletSky Thu 16-Sep-21 16:52:29

Sweetpeasue

Thankyou Violetsky.
Niece's daughter is very smart too. Hopefully your daughter will find friends too. If the school can't give enough support I believe my neice has been in touch with Social Services who have been more helpful.

Thank you, I'll remember that

Smileless2012 Thu 16-Sep-21 16:51:01

I think some people don't appreciate how damaging name calling can be Sarahmob.

Sweetpeasue Thu 16-Sep-21 16:48:20

Thankyou Violetsky.
Niece's daughter is very smart too. Hopefully your daughter will find friends too. If the school can't give enough support I believe my neice has been in touch with Social Services who have been more helpful.

Chewbacca Thu 16-Sep-21 16:02:34

i didn't think you'd noticed!

That's even worse than "I thought that you were a strong person and could take it" halfpint1.

Sarahmob Thu 16-Sep-21 15:19:20

I was bullied relentlessly at secondary school, until one of the bullies pulled me off my bike causing me to break my leg. A visit from the police put a stop to the physical bullying although the name calling continued until after I’d left school. The pain of that time still resonates today.