Gransnet forums

AIBU

Packaging you hate

(104 Posts)
MrsPickle Fri 24-Sep-21 11:12:42

Sometimes, I like a nice convenience curry sauce.
The ones that come in 3 sachets, enclosed by the instructions, stapled together at the top by a fancy round 'staple'.
I'm sure the makers don't think anyone over the age of 30 will be using them, but, oh boy, getting them opened without losing half the contents is very tedious.

That's my pet hate, but I'm sure there are more...

Anton123 Sun 26-Sep-21 10:42:51

I shop in sainsburys for my fruit. Vegetables or any fresh products as they offer white net bags which are washable and more environmental friendly, I personally avoid plastic like the plague,

GoldenAge Sun 26-Sep-21 10:47:23

I'm with Sago on the shrink-wrapped cucumbers - it drives me mad and I've complained several times to Sainsbury's - when I was still visiting the supermarket before lockdown, cucumbers were on the shelves with a sticker on them if they were organic - just the same as the old Fyffes banana stickers - easily identifiable and removed. I can't quite remember when it happened but the cucumbers started turning up in my online shop covered in plastic, so I changed from organic to non-organic thinking this would be different - sadly no. As I juice a cucumber every day with other things, I buy seven at a time and unfortunately, apart from all the dreadful damage to the environment, the cucumbers begin to sweat and degrade. Wondering whether all supermarkets torture their cucumbers and the world in this way? I know that farm drop services don't do this.

Rumpunch Sun 26-Sep-21 10:47:26

Vacuum packaging. It is so closely stuck to the item that you can nearly cut your fingers off trying to open it.
And Blossoming - I agree about the pill packaging. How I long for the days when they came in little bottles. I struggle to open them with my fingers and the supposed helpful pill openers often break them tablets inside in half !!

tattygran14 Sun 26-Sep-21 10:56:58

Vitamins etc in plastic pots, opened by pulling a tiny tag, which breaks off. Impossible to open pot without resorting to violence!
I have sent all the needless hard plastic packaging back to the manufacturer of electric toothbrush heads. Each one was sealed in hard plastic, within another hard plastic shell. I put it all in a reused envelope, marked 'freepost'. Made me feel better..

Mauriherb Sun 26-Sep-21 10:57:44

Totally agree with Blossoming, I recently broke my arm and needed surgery. The hospital sent me home with painkillers in the usual strips. Absolutely impossible to open with one hand ? .

Soroptimum Sun 26-Sep-21 11:03:07

I bought a jar opener from Lakeland. Overpriced but works brilliantly.
My mum struggles with childproof bottles, had to wait for me to visit to open toilet cleaner!
I dread opening a new toothpaste, as the one we use has a teeny weeny foil top that’s (almost) impossible to remove.

ReadyMeals Sun 26-Sep-21 11:03:08

Cucumbers really need the shrink wrap as they go off so quickly otherwise

highlanddreams Sun 26-Sep-21 11:05:06

MrsPickle

Sometimes, I like a nice convenience curry sauce.
The ones that come in 3 sachets, enclosed by the instructions, stapled together at the top by a fancy round 'staple'.
I'm sure the makers don't think anyone over the age of 30 will be using them, but, oh boy, getting them opened without losing half the contents is very tedious.

That's my pet hate, but I'm sure there are more...

I absolutely love those Spice Tailor curry kits,we don't have an Indian restaurant or takeaway near us & we really enjoy them. I just use a pair of scissors to carefully open each pack and rinse the sauce one out with a little water to try get most of the residue out. I don't find them too much of pain to open yet but you watch, now I've said that, the next time I open one I'll be decorating the kitchen with the contents!

Boz Sun 26-Sep-21 11:06:38

I cant bear those child-safe boxes washing pods come in. I want to sit down and cry. You need two strong hands to open them and on holiday had to get my 10 yr. old grandson to open a box of Daz for me.

LittlemoO Sun 26-Sep-21 11:06:50

I agree with everything thats been said about b------y packaging, it is a nightmare.

Janetashbolt Sun 26-Sep-21 11:08:37

mens' shirts

knspol Sun 26-Sep-21 11:12:07

Cheese wrapped in greaseproof paper to make it look farm fresh/environmentally friendly etc only to take off wrapping and find it's wrapped in clingfilm underneath.
Resealable packs that don't reseal.
Strips of pills that don't pop out.
Sticky labels that leave a mess - not strictly packaging I suppose but still annoying.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 26-Sep-21 11:13:59

I hate those packages of meat and fish where the item is shrunk onto the hard plastic packaging. Try unpacking them!

Georgesgran Sun 26-Sep-21 11:16:41

easybee re trying to ‘steal’ extras - my DD2 worked in the Foodhall at M&S when she was at Uni. She had to check the contents of the Mini Roasts, as people would put the cheaper chicken in a beef wrapper!

missdeke Sun 26-Sep-21 11:16:50

I ordered something online' it arrived in a big box full of what looked like polystyrene bits, after angrily throwing them into the rubbish bin, I found at the bottom of the box a note saying that they are fully recyclable and to throw them in the sink and turn the tap on and they dissolve. Why on earth put that at the bottom of the box for goodness sake. I then had to rummage through the rubbish trying to find all the bits.

inishowen Sun 26-Sep-21 11:17:57

Toys. They come in a display box. Each piece anchored to the back with twisted wire.

Theoddbird Sun 26-Sep-21 11:20:36

Hate is a very strong word... I don't like the habit Amazon has of putting small items in very large boxes when they pack for delivery. Other than that I accept however things are packaged. No point in stressing over minor things that you cannot change.

Bijou Sun 26-Sep-21 11:24:42

I have to rely on supermarket deliveries. What annoys me is the way meat and fish is packaged. Shrink wrapped in a too large plastic tray needing scissors and a sharp knife to open.
Sardine tins the ring pull comes off before the top is half way of so you have to dig the fish out. Other round tins with ring pulls I turn upside down and open with electric can opener.

Granartisan Sun 26-Sep-21 11:27:14

I'm pleased that PG tips have stopped swathing their tea bag boxes in plastic, and have removed plastic from tea bags themselves. I used to hate wrestling the wrap from the box, and also I can compost the bags now.

Jillsewing Sun 26-Sep-21 11:28:00

Cucumber in a sheaf, bananas in plastic, so many I get cross thinking about it!

4allweknow Sun 26-Sep-21 11:28:37

Bottle and jar tops are a nightmare even with one of those do it all openers.

mimiEliza Sun 26-Sep-21 11:31:30

Blossoming: in reply, part of my prescription meds were Aspirin. I asked my pharmacist if I could try the bullet-shape Aspirin instead of the round ones, as I could never pop them out of the 'Fort Knox' blister packet. Her reply was that the manufacturers sealed them securely to prevent people taking an overdose! In other words, instead you'd die of frustration trying to remove them! ?

leeds22 Sun 26-Sep-21 11:31:42

Blossoming

Bloody pill packets that don’t want to pop out my meds!

My blood pressure meds give me high blood pressure just trying to get at them.

Janetashbolt Sun 26-Sep-21 11:37:34

my home LFT, the liquid comes sealed into the tube, you have to peal off the foil on the top, the tap always breaks, I end up stabbing it with scissors and then forcing the lid over the ripped foil, VERY ANNOYING

Janetashbolt Sun 26-Sep-21 11:41:02

tab not tap