Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to disagree with OH

(94 Posts)
sazz1 Mon 27-Sep-21 12:56:43

Have heard strange rustling noises occasionally in the kitchen. Thought it was the pipes cooling or the boiler. This week the dogs keep barking at nite and pulling down the kick board from under the same cupboard. OH was going to have cereal, which is never used been there months, and a mouse jumped out the packet.
His solution is 2 mouse traps as it's only 1 mouse. Leave it until he catches it then block up the hole at back of cupboard.
My solution is to call pest control firm as it won't be just one mouse and they have eaten a full small box of cereal in a few weeks. He's totally against this. What do others think?
Wish I could get a cat but daughter is badly allergic and visits regularly.

Theoddbird Tue 28-Sep-21 10:38:40

Block any holes with tin foil...they won't chew it. Once they can't get into your kitchen for food they will leave. This has worked for me in the past.

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Sep-21 10:43:47

A mouse can get through a hole the size of a pencil so it's worth getting covers for your air bricks.

Copes283 Tue 28-Sep-21 10:47:03

I sympathise with you. My dear FIL was being peg fed at night and we couldn't understand why the tubes were leaking and there bits of paper tissue everywhere! Finally we found the telltale signs and he admitted he'd seen the little blighter! He didn't tell us as he'd had hallucinations whilst in hospital and thought he was having more of the same. Bless his heart, mouse was dealt with, the hole blocked up around the kitchen waste pipe. We all chuckled and said, as he wS on a high calorie feed, it would have been the fattest mouse in town!!
Don't use humane traps unless you are prepared to take it for a long drive!! Good luck.

GagaJo Tue 28-Sep-21 10:47:06

Theoddbird

Block any holes with tin foil...they won't chew it. Once they can't get into your kitchen for food they will leave. This has worked for me in the past.

My tenant had a RAT problem recently. The people downstairs were accumulating rubbish and it attracted them. My (amazingly efficient, sensible) tenant used wire wool to shove into any gaps and filled the wire wool with expanding foam. He was advised by Rentokil apparantely.

JdotJ Tue 28-Sep-21 10:50:45

We found mice under the sink who were getting in through the tiniest of gaps near pipework (they really can squash themselves teeny tiny to get in).
The solution was to buy a can of foam which, when sprayed around the pipes, expanded and set hard, blocking up any gaps, however small.
Worked a treat, no more mice and no need for traps.

Loobs Tue 28-Sep-21 10:53:11

Several years ago we went on holiday to a gite in France. The next morning whilst making breakfast I put some bread in the toaster and turned it on. All of a sudden there was this awful scrabbling noise and I immediately turned the toaster off . I looked inside to find a young mouse staring back at me. I took the toaster outside and let the mouse run out, no way of knowing if it ever came back?

fluttERBY123 Tue 28-Sep-21 10:55:03

Pest control put down poison. In our case they said whatever it is they put down is taken back to the nest and shared out. They just all go permanently to sleep.

babzi Tue 28-Sep-21 10:56:04

You say your daughter is allergic to cats. Mice are much more serious. Have no qualms at all. Poison concealed in traps is the answer. It contains the mouse as well so no rotten smell of them crawling elsewhere to die. This is a health hazard so get the hole blocked off and fast. Then poison any that choose to remain.

Alioop Tue 28-Sep-21 11:01:17

We had the little sods years ago and when I went to bed it was like River Dance on the bedroom ceiling. My nerves were in pieces and tried everything to catch the culprits. I had to resort to calling pest control who caught 16! They set up CCTV in the loft to see how they were getting in too, they were running up the outside wall and getting in a little hole in the chimney. I had wished at the time I'd got the experts out quicker.

4allweknow Tue 28-Sep-21 11:01:46

It's not just food mice nibble at, wires and insulation covering are favourites. You need to set traps all over the kitchen, it's never just one mouse. Ask your DH if he would eat in a restaurant where mice had been in the packets of food given to him. If yes, then he needs to read about food health and safety and why restaurants are closed down for infestation of mice.

jaylucy Tue 28-Sep-21 11:03:42

Can't see the point in calling in pest control unless you find that you are overun with the little blighters!
I live in the country, surrounded by fields, so expect to have mice in the house at some point in the winter.
I found that peanut butter or chocolate are best in a trap and continue to set a trap after you think that you have caught them all.
The humane traps really are a waste of money, sorry as unless you take the mouse a decent distance away, they will return and as someone has already said, they may well die in an unknown area to them as knowledge of a food supply is why they come into your house in the first place!
Apart from that, get a cat!

JacquiG Tue 28-Sep-21 11:04:58

Also look for little black specks of mouse faeces in cupboards and on shelves. They are not continent creatures.

Juicylucy Tue 28-Sep-21 11:06:48

I’ve just had this issue, I only saw one mouse in the cupboard under sink where I used to keep dog food. I purchased a humane mouse trap and caught him in first 24 hours, you then have to take them at least 1/2 mile from your home otherwise they just run straight back there. However, the next night I saw 2 of them in the same place, cut along story short pest control say you very rarely get just one mouse, its usually a family of them. It turned out I had a whole family in my loft they were running up and down cavity walls at night for food.

blubber Tue 28-Sep-21 11:08:39

It is illegal to release mice or any other vermin if caught in a humane trap.

Early Tue 28-Sep-21 11:11:19

They may be eating the cereal but also building a store of it elsewhere. What is behind the cupboard? Mice follow the urine trail of their mates. They can squeeze through a hole the diameter of a pencil. As well as blocking the obvious entry point and any other small gaps you can find, you need to find the run and clean it with bleach or Jeyes to get rid of the urine trail as well as cleaning the cupboard where they have been. In other words, put them off the scent.

Nannan2 Tue 28-Sep-21 11:16:43

Thing is you cant risk putting poison down if theres the OP's dogs there too.What kind of dogs are they?because terriers are good ratters/mouse catchers i believe, like cats? Also, I'm confused as to how your daughters allergic to cats but not the dogs.?

Nannan2 Tue 28-Sep-21 11:19:59

blubber- so what are you supposed to do with them then,once you've caught them??

EilaRose Tue 28-Sep-21 11:23:24

OP...what if the mouse your DH fails to catch in a trap is a pregnant female?

Life Cycle info here www.terminix.com/pest-control/mice/life-cycle/

Heading into Winter mice will be looking to get somewhere dry and warm, can't blame them for that, so now is a good time to act.

Personally, I don't agree with so-called humane traps as you are moving the problem elsewhere which is not good from an environmental viewpoint and unless you release the trapped mice etc several times each day, they are likely to starve to death and the 'humane' part of the procedure is a farce.

I'm not a cat lover but don't suggest a cat either...again, what if the mouse has eaten a bait, then the cat will be a victim of secondary poisoning...goodbye kitty cat!

Spring traps and/or wax-based bait blocks work best and what we used 24/7 for many years in the trade.

Hope this helps?

Craftycat Tue 28-Sep-21 11:33:23

Humane traps are great. We have cats who bring in mice & then just leave them. I have several traps which I bait with chocolate spread - which mice like - I then let them out at the bottom of the garden.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 28-Sep-21 11:36:12

Agree with all above advice. Remember mice are incontinent and will have peed everywhere so a good scrub with disinfectant is needed, and throw out any foodstuffs in packets even if you don’t think they’ve been got at, they will have been peed on.

LondonMzFitz Tue 28-Sep-21 11:43:54

www.humanesociety.org/resources/what-do-about-wild-mice

I've used the humane traps in the past very successfully, check every morning and night so the critters aren't left in there to starve. They get to eat the stuff on the end of the humane trap, and have a little see-saw .. lovely! I've taken them over the field in the past, I'm disappointed to see that is considered "cruel" but survival of the fittest, circle of life etc - lots of owls locally, if you know what I mean. I could not consider a "splat" trap, just no.

My office is a Grade II listed building in South East London, used to be tanneries, and we have a professional pest control visit every 4 weeks to check traps.

At home now I have a cat - found a fresh dead mouse last Autumn, I'll be more aware this year.

Caleo Tue 28-Sep-21 11:46:20

it is actually easy to remove the kick board and inspect under the units with a strong torch if you like. First thing is to seal any holes in wall or floor and remove food debris.

Granmarderby10 Tue 28-Sep-21 11:52:34

Nannan2 I’m allergic to cats but not dogs. I believe it is the dander on their hair. Dogs have never bothered me at all. I can tell if a cat has been kipping on a bed if I sleep in a ?‍⬛ cat household. Terrible itching then I rub my eyes till they look like I’ve done a few rounds in the boxing ? ring, plus runny nose and sneezing and itchy lugholes. ? odd isn’t it? Nothing else bothers me this way, well not to this extent. If I am prepared I’ve found taking a simple anti- histamine before “exposure” works.

Lauren59 Tue 28-Sep-21 11:57:00

Please don’t use poison. It is a slow, painful death for the poor things. Furthermore, other animals may consume poisoned rodents. A snap trap is effective and much more humane.

Spec1alk Tue 28-Sep-21 12:07:20

They’re difficult to tell apart! Oh Caro57 you made me smile!