Gransnet forums

AIBU

Facebook users who document their wonderful lives.

(119 Posts)
Quizzer Wed 03-Nov-21 20:38:39

One of my Facebook “friends” posts at least daily with news and pictures of her culinary successes. Also she posts all her charitable works, her husband’s wonderful gifts and treats (I think he is creepy!).
However she is one of the first to post nasty criticism about others.
I don’t follow her any more, but can’t “unfriend” her as I have to work with her.
Is she just needy, wanting all the ‘likes’ or does she genuinely think that her friends - some 400 of them - are interested in her daily menu?

MayBee70 Mon 08-Nov-21 17:59:35

It was through a local Facebook page that I found out about a local vaccination centre that wasn’t well publicised. And several missing cats have been found having wandered off to another village. Sometime, sadly a deceased cat will be found but it’s better to know what has happened to your beloved pet. One of our cats disappeared many years ago and I’m sure we would gave traced her had there been a Facebook back then as my ex was convinced that he saw her several years later.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 08-Nov-21 17:02:51

I'm on FB just to see what's going on locally or if a friend goes out somewhere and posts a picture of the beach, for instance. I never post anything myself and don't intend to do so.

I ignore all requests from unknown people.

Some people seem to live their lives on SM. "Here's the dress I made/jumper I knitted/ hallway I painted" etc. They obviously need the validation of others to feel good about these achievements which is a bit sad really.

Shelflife Mon 08-Nov-21 16:21:36

MayBee, your post had made me smile - Thankyou. I don't do facebook!

Dressagediva123 Sun 07-Nov-21 11:30:18

I think you can unfriend her without her knowing! I maybe wrong but worth checking out. I love FB but only have people I know on mine/ it’s helped me keep in touch with old work colleagues as well. For a lady in our village FB is her salvation as she can’t get out due to illness. There always seems to be a slight superior attitude taken by some folk who say ‘I never use FB’ . It’s amazing what you can learn / for example we’ve just been on a walk around Liverpool- with a group about the slavery links that city has / BDressage & other groups usually contact you via their FB page etc
The way to go is through the privacy settings and regularly update them

Ali08 Sat 06-Nov-21 10:39:25

Facebook does come with options, you know? Like muting people for 30 days, or listing them as acqaintances rather than friends so you don't see everything they post.
Plus there's this great invention called scrolling, where you can just scroll on by if you don't want to see something!!!

Torbroud Sat 06-Nov-21 09:25:59

Attention seeker

CafeAuLait Fri 05-Nov-21 21:58:26

I also have rule about people I add as friends. They will always be people I've known as I don't have many people on my Facebook. If I decide to add them (most friend requests I ignore), if they don't send me a message to say hello within a few days, I delete them. If they want to reconnect fine but I figure if they aren't saying anything, they aren't really wanting to reconnect - just have another friend in their numbers or have a nosy.

Calendargirl Fri 05-Nov-21 07:18:35

My DD, who lives in Australia, uses Facebook to keep in touch. She defriended many when she realised, as Jezra said, that some never post, but take great interest in knowing what others are doing. Some relatives were the main culprits.

She calls them ‘Facebook Voyeurs’,

M0nica Fri 05-Nov-21 07:07:52

Facebook is what the user makes it. Limit who you are friendly with and do not bother with bores and boasters. Delete, sign off or hide any material on your account that does not itnerest you.

There is nothing very special about Facebook, it is a utility. It is up to the user to manage it, as you would your electricity consumption.

MissMellie Fri 05-Nov-21 03:01:19

I use Facebook to keep in touch with more distant relatives and friends who loves be far away. I enjoy their photos- even the mundane ones of everyday goings on.

It seems to me that being overly critical of what one person (whom you are free to unfollow, unfriend or simply ignore) says more about you than them.

Supernan Thu 04-Nov-21 22:45:46

FB is a parallel universe that I don’t want to live in.

Jezra Thu 04-Nov-21 21:36:22

I have an in-law that never/rarely posts anything on fb. However, she knows everyone’s business or thinks she does. Passes remarks about people if you meet up with her or her husband does while making assumptions about people and why they post things. They are nosey and gossip and don’t seem to realise that people might post things for their own pleasure or for friends that have a mutual interest in cooking, art etc or just to document things for themselves. They criticise others’ posts. I think they are very sad people and don’t have enough interests of their own.

mistymitts Thu 04-Nov-21 21:22:05

Think on this, the original idea behind Facebook from Mark Zuckerberg was a rating system on the women at the college he was at, pervy, creepy and so wrong.

f77ms Thu 04-Nov-21 20:18:17

Sounds like envy to me. Why does it bother the op so much!

Happysexagenarian Thu 04-Nov-21 19:32:02

It's the reason I closed my Facebook account. Never used Twitter etc. I think they are far from 'social' media. Comments, pettiness and insults on Facebook caused a lot of problems and distress within my family. I suppose GNet is a form of social media, but it's more varied and interesting.

AmberSpyglass Thu 04-Nov-21 18:56:07

The address stuff is foolish, but her son being gay and gc being autistic isn’t something she should have to keep hidden!

kircubbin2000 Thu 04-Nov-21 18:34:47

I have a Facebook friend who posts all intimate details of her family life. We know her son is gay, have photos of him and partner.Followed her house move complete with photos and address.Grandkids autistic, more photos, daughters ex husband and history etc. I wonder does she realise that the whole world can see this.

Zoejory Thu 04-Nov-21 18:23:49

Juliet27

DanniRae

I joined Facebook and straight away I got 'friends requests' from men I didn't even know shock I then removed myself from it! ^Definitely not for me!^

Ditto DanniRae

You should have made your profile private.

Juliet27 Thu 04-Nov-21 18:21:45

DanniRae

I joined Facebook and straight away I got 'friends requests' from men I didn't even know shock I then removed myself from it! ^Definitely not for me!^

Ditto DanniRae

Zoejory Thu 04-Nov-21 18:20:52

Life’s just not like that -sorry Facebook fans !

Do you believe that people who use and enjoy FB are all believing everything they see?

As others have mentioned, there are brilliant groups on FB for people with different interests. And the amount of lost pets that get found thanks to FB is heart warming.

And it's very unusual for young lads or lasses to be on FB these days. It's definitely the older generation who use it now.

Tusue Thu 04-Nov-21 18:16:50

I’ve never done Facebook because it’s a hiding to nothing,sorry but WHY do people want to let the world know what they are eating,where they are etc.
I am a nurse and was talking to a young lad recently who was suffering with poor mental health,he said to me “why is my life not as good as everybody else’s like on Facebook ?”
I said facebooks NOT real life,they don’t post when they are having a crap day,arguing ,worrying about cash etc ,kids or family driving them mad,they post only good things.
Life’s just not like that -sorry Facebook fans !

Zoejory Thu 04-Nov-21 18:15:02

Why do people get FB accounts and then complain if they end up getting friend requests?

You have to make your profile private. It's so easy. Then nobody can contact you.

sazz1 Thu 04-Nov-21 18:06:23

GrauntyHelen

And here you are on another social media site bitching about your colleague !

Was this for me? The person isn't my colleague!!

Galaxy Thu 04-Nov-21 18:01:34

But there are threads every few days on here about what people are having for dinner.

Shropshirelass Thu 04-Nov-21 17:44:55

I use FB for interest. I don’t post personal information and only have a handful of friends who are people I have known for years. I don’t want or need hundreds of friends or likes. As for meals, before FB we didn’t go round to our friends with photos of everything we cooked did we? Strange old needy world we live in.