Gransnet forums

AIBU

Stubborn husband refuses COVID test

(19 Posts)
Hazjo Thu 16-Dec-21 20:53:16

How do I get my husband to get a PCR test? He’s coughing a lot but won’t get a test. His latest left was negative.

CanadianGran Thu 16-Dec-21 20:56:33

If he is refusing to get tested, then he and your whole household should just assume he is positive and act accordingly.

Let him know how selfish he is being by restricting you all. You must all self-isolate.

BigBertha1 Thu 16-Dec-21 22:12:28

I agree until you have proof of a negative test pass me you are all infected by his 'reckless and selfish behaviour. Then flush his head down the loo.

MayBeMaw Thu 16-Dec-21 22:28:22

Did you mean “latest LFT was negative” ?
If so, he is doing tests. Why would he need a PCR unless there was a good reason? There may be another cause to the cough.

GagaJo Thu 16-Dec-21 22:34:41

Until he gets a PCR I would isolate myself from him.

4 children (out of 12) at the school I most recently worked at tested negative on LFT but positive on PCR tests.

Calistemon Thu 16-Dec-21 22:40:33

So there doesn't seem to be much point in taking a LFT before going out if they are so inaccurate then?

Besides that, people could have Covid but be symptomless- can they pass on the virus?

Worrying.

Beswitched Thu 16-Dec-21 23:01:46

MayBeMaw

If so, he is doing tests. Why would he need a PCR unless there was a good reason? There may be another cause to the cough.

Is an LFT the same as, an antigen test? Because if so, they are no use once you are already displaying symptoms.

MayBeMaw Thu 16-Dec-21 23:12:42

Beswitched

MayBeMaw

Is an LFT the same as, an antigen test? Because if so, they are no use once you are already displaying symptoms.

No, it was true of the old style test (nose and tonsils) but according to the leaflet which came with my latest kit, the new” nose only “ test is suitable for cases with or without symptoms.

SpringyChicken Thu 16-Dec-21 23:17:49

On 1st December, I received an NHS text which states

"If you develop any of the symptoms of COVID-19, even if they are mild, you are advised to get a PCR test ASAP, this is different to a lateral flow. This also applies to children".

Grannynannywanny Thu 16-Dec-21 23:27:54

I ordered lateral flow tests on the government website today. Before I could proceed with the order the instructions stated not to use the LFT if any possible covid symptoms were present and to have PCR instead.

I’ve just double checked and have attached a screen shot.

dragonfly46 Thu 16-Dec-21 23:39:53

My GP told me that no LFT is accurate if you have symptoms.

MayBeMaw Thu 16-Dec-21 23:49:32

Grannynannywanny

I ordered lateral flow tests on the government website today. Before I could proceed with the order the instructions stated not to use the LFT if any possible covid symptoms were present and to have PCR instead.

I’ve just double checked and have attached a screen shot.

I have also checked- I hope mine is legible, but it states clearly “It’s for people who,have symptoms as well as those with no symptoms”
There woukd appear to be different types of test.

MayBeMaw Thu 16-Dec-21 23:50:19

“Would”

Grannynannywanny Fri 17-Dec-21 00:09:30

MayBeMaw
I have also checked- I hope mine is legible, but it states clearly “It’s for people who,have symptoms as well as those with no symptoms”
There woukd appear to be different types of test

It’s no wonder folk are confused if the government website says don’t use LFT if possible covid symptoms are present. Then delivers tests and the instructions say the opposite ?‍♀️ I’ve been supplied with the same brand nasal swabs as you
MayBeMaw and hadn’t noticed that detail.

goose1964 Thu 23-Dec-21 13:35:36

My husband is the same, you really can't do much about it.

eazybee Thu 23-Dec-21 13:43:47

Yes you can.
You ban him from any form of Christmas activity and make him self isolate in another room. Don't provide any meals or drinks or social contact.
These people make me ashamed.

humptydumpty Thu 23-Dec-21 13:52:22

In fairness there are always coughs around at this time of year. Do GNers really think that a PCR test should be taken every time one has a cold symptom, especially after negative LFT?

BlueBelle Thu 23-Dec-21 15:13:51

Yes Humptydumptyif you have any kind of cough or any other symptoms that could be CoviD then you need to do a PCR test LFT are not as accurate and you could be walking around infecting others unknowingly What is the problem ?

ElaineI Fri 24-Dec-21 00:27:05

It's maybe differences in national guidelines. DGS1 tested positive PCR which all family had as his sister (4) had symptoms. Rest of family negative. Yesterday lateral flows positive for DD, DSiL and DGS - DGD still negative. Awaiting their new PCRs but as numbers so great today I guess they are very busy. Anyway the lateral flows are picking up Covid. DD and DSiL are both feeling poorly so probably positive. DGD now well, DGS - the positive one has never had symptoms and probably his parents now have 10 days isolation ahead - his ends on Monday however at 8 he won't be going far without his parents! Have been dropping off supplies and Christmas stuff at their door and he has decided to have family presents when they are all out of isolation. BlueBelle it's not any kind of cough - guidelines state what kind of cough otherwise probably most of the population would be isolating most of the winter. And no-one with small children would be able to work as it is a medical fact that children under five catch colds once or twice a month.