Gransnet forums

AIBU

Your fav Air fryer recipies

(51 Posts)
SeaNain Thu 10-Feb-22 11:23:48

As, many of us our usung air fryers to reduce oven costs, am wondering what are your favourite recipes for air fryers please...

AreWeThereYet Wed 16-Feb-22 13:52:07

I think that's one of the best thing about air fryers - the speed. Plus the fact it's easier to clean than the oven. I think I've only used the oven about three times since Christmas. I made chicken stock in the pressure cooker yesterday from the roast chicken I air fried a few days ago.

Grannynannywanny Wed 16-Feb-22 13:15:50

Same here Oldnproud. I tried part baked baguettes in it for the first time yesterday to go with the pot of soup I was serving up to my grandchildren. I didn’t use any oil, just baked them about 7 mins. Ready in less time than it would take to preheat the main oven.

GillT57 Wed 16-Feb-22 12:45:17

OOh, I hadn't thought of using mine to bake part baked baguettes. We quite often have one of them ( sourdough ciabatti is lovely) but it is a dreadful waste of power to heat up the fan oven just for that. Off shopping soon so shall get a couple to have with soup. Thanks!

Oldnproud Wed 16-Feb-22 12:41:28

I've just used my new air fryer to bake a cheap, part-baked baguette (DH loves them).

I cut it in half to make it fit the basket, sprayed it with oil, and it took only 6 to 7 minutes at 180°.
Great, and so quick!

Tonight I am going to make pasties to use up some left-over stew, and see how they do in the air fryer.

Until last week, I had no idea these machines were so versatile!

Teacheranne Mon 14-Feb-22 22:13:47

My basket has a solid bottom and there is a crisper tray which sits on little feet about 1cm above the bottom for certain recipes - such as burgers or chips when you want them crispy. If I was cooking vegetables or small chunks of meat I think it says remove the crisper tray and put the food straight into the basket.

The problem with using parchment paper or even light foods is that the heating element is at the top and there is a really strong fan to blow the heat around and paper or light food can be blown around the basket and stick to the element - causing a fire! My instruction manual says stick such things as wraps or cheese slices down with a couple of cocktail sticks or if you have a grill rack, put that on top to weight it down.

Such fun!

Oldnproud Mon 14-Feb-22 19:20:51

AreWeThereYet

I'm not sure what you want to use it for Oldnproud ? To line the bottom of the fryer ? To line your trays? I don't use anything like that as everything is pretty well non stick and easy to clean.

I have read that liners in the air fryer basket are useful for several things, such as stopping to much falling through into the base when cooking something crumbly; to stop softer things, such as cookies, from sinking into the baskets holes and becoming difficult to remove, and for helping prevent very sticky things from burning onto the basket, so making it easier to wash and limiting potential damage to the non-stick coating.

I'm a novice to air fryers though, so how useful they will begin reality is something I've yet to find out.

Charleygirl5 Mon 14-Feb-22 19:08:34

I had read if I lined mine with parchment paper there would be less washing. I am more than happy to revert back to washing each time I use it! My dishwasher does a good job but I am trying not to run it every day.

AreWeThereYet Mon 14-Feb-22 19:01:27

Yikes Charleygirl. Thinking about this I do remember a while ago seeing someone on YouTube making some sort of liner to go on the tray by poking holes in it to stop their chips falling through. I do my chips in a basket so it has never been a problem, but maybe some air fryers don't have baskets ?

Charleygirl5 Mon 14-Feb-22 18:58:38

Please be very careful because I used parchment paper as instructed and set the fryer on fire. Luckily I was there and could deal with it.

AreWeThereYet Mon 14-Feb-22 18:32:19

I'm not sure what you want to use it for Oldnproud ? To line the bottom of the fryer ? To line your trays? I don't use anything like that as everything is pretty well non stick and easy to clean.

Oldnproud Mon 14-Feb-22 17:04:27

This:

www.amazon.co.uk/Glide-STD0150-Reusable-Cooking-Baking/dp/B0009XXJ9C?tag=gransnetforum-21

Charleygirl5 Mon 14-Feb-22 12:57:13

I also have never heard of it.

Teacheranne Mon 14-Feb-22 12:48:39

Can I ask what Bake-O-Glide is please?

Oldnproud Mon 14-Feb-22 12:20:58

In case anyone is interested, I contacted Bake-O-Glide to ask about using their product in an air fryer, and have had a very helpful reply back from them:

... providing that the liners do not come into contact with an element or flame (and do not exceed the max. working temperature of 260°C) they should be OK to line the base of the air fryer.

That sounds positive to me. I've got some that I've been using in the ordinary oven for years, and they are still in good condition, so I feel happy to use them in my air fryer now - though I shall buy some new ones for this purpose.

kittylester Mon 14-Feb-22 09:00:44

My ninja is arriving today but we have half term for 2 weeks so I think I will hide it till they have all gone home.

Oldnproud Mon 14-Feb-22 08:53:56

I have a question.

I was wondering if it would be possible to make reusable liners (by cutting to size and making holes in it with a hole-punch) out of re-usable cake pan liners - from this sort of thing:

www.amazon.co.uk/Bake-Glide-Circles-Brown-6-Inch/dp/B007XIP426/ref=asc_df_B007XIP426/?hvlocphy=1007175&linkCode=df0&hvptwo&hvnetw=g&hvadid=231959665160&hvpone&hvlocint&th=1&hvpos&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl&hvqmt&tag=gransnetforum-21&hvtargid=pla-495313523237&hvrand=15939600710673858267

Have any of you ever tried this?

Oldnproud Mon 14-Feb-22 08:46:25

My Tower airfryer arrived yesterday, even sooner than exected smile.

No prizes for guessing what the first thing was that I cooked, after cleaning it. The (oven) chips were a success, Then I did the beanburgers that I had been going to fry for dinner. Once they were done, I put them on the base of the burger buns, put sliced cheese on top and put them back in to melt the cheese. It also 'toasted' the base of the buns at the same time, which was good.

I might visit the library to see if they have any books of air fryer recipes, as I'm a total novice with air fryer cooking, and want to be sure to get the most of my new machine. I know there are countless recipes online, but I do like a real book when possible!

Charleygirl5 Sun 13-Feb-22 16:15:44

I bought a basic air fryer and was informed by the company to give the fryer space all around it, top and bottom because of the intense heat. It does not matter what I am cooking-I cannot touch the fryer without almost burning my fingers. Each is obviously different.

AreWeThereYet Sun 13-Feb-22 14:32:21

I think how warm the Ninja gets depends on what you are cooking. I am just air frying a whole chicken, which takes well over an hour and it gets pretty hot. My Ninja stands on a wooden chopping board to protect the work surface. I don't know if it would damage it but as the work surface is only a few years old I am not taking the risk!

GillT57 Sun 13-Feb-22 14:29:20

I just lift mine out of the cupboard when I want to use it as it is really quite light. After use, I wash the basket in soapy water, then when it has dried, put it all away again. It is no heavier than lifting a saucepan out of the cupboard, but mine is just a basic model.

Teacheranne Sun 13-Feb-22 13:29:24

I moved some equipment around to be able to use my air dryer in an area away from wall cupboards. I don’t have it on a heat resistant surface though as it does not seem to get too hot, I’ve felt underneath it a few times and although warm, it’s not red hot! I will buy a trivet though when I see one I like that is large enough, I wasn’t sure if the glass worktop protectors would be suitable. My worktops are only cheap ones put in by a property developer and I’m thinking of having a new kitchen anyway.

I wonder if some models are better insulated than others, I have a Ninja Max.

Charleygirl5 Sun 13-Feb-22 11:55:46

I totally agree Mamardoit it needs space all around because of the heat. Mine sits on the protected worktop surface, in front of the window and between sink and cooker. I do not have a Ninja but even the smallest fryer is large.

Mamardoit Sun 13-Feb-22 11:47:26

My neighbour dried apple rings and plums in hers. I don't think it's a function I would use.
My DD wants to buy the top of the range Ninja but her kitchen wall cupboards are tall so she has very little worksurface space to fit one in. I would suggest that people see one in real life before buying.

Blondiescot Sun 13-Feb-22 09:21:22

Yes, I've used the dehydrate function on mine to make 'sundried' tomatoes to use up some of the glut of tomatoes we had last year, and also to make treats for the dog. I know people who use it to dry slices of lemon, orange etc for use either in drinks or pot pourri.

kittylester Sun 13-Feb-22 09:17:32

Does anyone use the dehydration orogramme? If so, for what?