Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wonder how people will afford their many beauty treatments?

(155 Posts)
snowberryZ Tue 15-Mar-22 15:32:56

With the cost of living sky rocketing I already find myself cutting back on life's little luxuries.
I try to go longer between hairdresser visits and can't remember when the last time I bought any expensive beauty products
I'm also on low/no buy new clothes this year and trying to utilise the clothes I already have. That's besides making changes to the heating and fuel in the car. Also less cinema trips and meals out.

Okay the thing that intrigues me is this. I have many friends who are 'really' high maintenance. And they're not all well off.
If I use Friend X as an example.
She has microbladed eyebrows that need topping up every now again.
She has her nails done every 4 weeks.
She also has eyelash extensions which have to be redone regularly.
As well as that she has regular facials and botox. She doesn't have extensions, but some of my friends do, and apparently they need to be moved at extra £££ every couple of weeks.

It's not just older ladies having this done, lots of younger people have gone down this high maintenance expensive route as well
How on earth will they manage to keep up with all this expensive grooming?
Listening to some of them talk, I get the impression that the top ups and ongoing maintenance is sometimes almost as much as the original treatments!
Because of the horrendously rising high cost of living do you think we'll see a return to more natural looking women, as the majority won't be able to afford to have these things done anymore?

Oldnproud Tue 15-Mar-22 18:59:47

It could be a huge bone of contention in a lot of relationships if things become very tight, and both partners have very different ideas about what counts as a necessity.

DaisyAnne Tue 15-Mar-22 19:01:42

snowberryZ

And will we see the more expensive salons and spa and beauty places go out of business?
People will be after a bargain. Maybe mobile hairdressers will come into their own as people will no longer be able to justify paying £200 at a salon.

£200 for what!?

choughdancer Tue 15-Mar-22 19:50:20

For years I've had my hair cut at the local college for £5. I always choose to have 2nd year students, as they are very closely monitored by their supervisor, so nothing can go wrong! Last week a lovely girl cut my hair, very nervous about doing her first short cut, but the supervisor was very encouraging and she did an excellent job. It takes longer, of course, than a visit to a normal hairdresser, but it helps the students get plenty of practice. I've also had massages and eyebrow tinting in their beauty salon; excellent!

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Mar-22 19:52:06

DaisyAnne

snowberryZ

And will we see the more expensive salons and spa and beauty places go out of business?
People will be after a bargain. Maybe mobile hairdressers will come into their own as people will no longer be able to justify paying £200 at a salon.

£200 for what!?

I have no idea! I think my cut and blow dry may have gone up when I go tomorrow- might be £45 but that's the first one since November. It doesn't need colouring (lowlights might be nice though hmm)
Other than that it is all DIY.

I like Clarins face cream and wear makeup very occasionally but I'm sure my skin is better since not wearing makeup very often.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Mar-22 19:54:22

^it’s never going to look out of fashion. It was never in fashion*

Ladyleftfieldlover ?
That's me, too.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Mar-22 19:56:33

JaneJudge

Do you know I haven't seen my dentist since before the pandemic and they sent me a text yesterday, not asking me to go in to have my teeth checked but to invite me to a % off botox and derma fillers hmm

My crown cost me a fortune- I should have just put up with a gap.

tidyskatemum Tue 15-Mar-22 19:57:17

I can never get my head round how many women are prepared to spend eye watering amounts on beauty treatments but expect food to be dirt cheap.

LauraNorderr Tue 15-Mar-22 20:05:02

I’d have told your dentist where to shove his Botox JaneJudge, then watched his new funny walk.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Mar-22 20:05:52

???

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Mar-22 20:07:42

tidyskatemum

I can never get my head round how many women are prepared to spend eye watering amounts on beauty treatments but expect food to be dirt cheap.

?

We have to look after our farmers much better or else one day we will find none are prepared to put in the work for the pitiful rewards - who will feed us then?

Hithere Tue 15-Mar-22 20:13:43

Priorities are different for everybody

LauraNorderr Tue 15-Mar-22 20:16:22

Absolutely Calli.

LauraNorderr Tue 15-Mar-22 20:20:11

Young couple agree to make cuts in their budget. He complains that she cut his beer out of the order and yet spent money on makeup. She says it’s so that she looks beautiful for him. He says that that’s what the beer is for! Oh dear.

BigBertha1 Tue 15-Mar-22 22:23:00

We decided to only run one a car a couple of years ago and given the price of fuel and both being retired it seems sensible. My new hairdresser is £20 a month cheaper than the previous one and much better. My nail lady is £16 a month not changing anything there.

Yammy Tue 15-Mar-22 22:35:05

Sago

I’ve just come back from the supermarket, an assistant had to come and help me as a bar code was crimped and wouldn’t scan, her very long acrylic bejewelled nails meant she couldn’t type in the necessary code, I asked her how she managed to do housework etc, she said she struggled with many tasks but her nails meant everything to her.

It’s a bit sad really.

Why is it sad? We all spend on what we think are a luxury. Some like make up I fall into that group. Some like good clothes that last year' s, luxury holidays , expensive meals, second homes,or an expensive car we fall into that group as well .
It's our choice and we are only pleasing ourselves. We worked for what we have and it's ours to use as we want.
It is only wrong if it is to the detriment of the families budget and the children.

maddyone Tue 15-Mar-22 23:31:09

I get my hair coloured and cut every 6/7 weeks and my hairdresser charges £45. I think that’s cheap compared to what my daughter in law and daughter pay. And she does a lovely job if I say it myself. I get my eyebrows waxed every 2/3 months. I use Olay creams or Elemis. I love Elemis but only buy it when it’s on offer at QVC. I don’t get my nails done although I did the year two of our children got married. I used to wear make up every when I was working but now I put it on only when I’m going out somewhere, not to just go to the shops. Lockdown was the impetus for that.
There is no way that I could give up my car, even though we are a two car family. My car is my independence.

LtEve Wed 16-Mar-22 05:28:52

I shall just have to do an extra day's overtime if it comes to it to have my hair coloured . I have my nails done about 3 times a year, never acrylics and always short, eyelashes tinted, eyebrow, leg and underarm wax every 3 months plus a massage every now and again. My beautician and hairdresser have become friends and I know they will need the custom so I'll keep going as long as possible.
I buy 2nd hand clothes from ebay and don't wear much makeup but I enjoy treatments.

mumofmadboys Wed 16-Mar-22 07:04:58

I imagine hairdressers income must be hit big time by the fashion of younger females virtually all having long hair which needs trimming much less often.

snowberryZ Wed 16-Mar-22 08:00:48

mumofmadboys

I imagine hairdressers income must be hit big time by the fashion of younger females virtually all having long hair which needs trimming much less often.

I was thinking the same thing. Hairdressers must hate the trend for long hair.

My hairdresser is roughly £150 for a cut, half head of highlights and a blow-dry.
Add on a treatment and it soon goes up to £200!shock and that's cheap compared to somewhere like London.

I've always had the feeling I'm being ripped off
Very often the treatment is a squirt of something out of a bottle that you can get 20 squirts out of.
You end up paying £25 for one treatment when you can buy the bottle and get 20 treatments.
Also this business of paying more for a senior stylist. What's that all about?

I think the fancy schmancy salons have fleeced people long enough and people won't (cant) put up with it any more.
I'm going to ask around for recommendations for a mobile hairdresser.
You can get some really good ones these days. They've seen an opening and upped their game.

Yammy Wed 16-Mar-22 09:43:45

I found a big difference with hair cut and colour prices when I moved to somewhere rural in our small town I pay £55 whereas I had been paying nearly £200 in the city where I lived. I now have moved just to a cut and blow-dry ££35 and are the 50 shades of grey and decided to stick with it.
Mt DD runs a very expensive car and I don't begrudge him. He was a student until he was 24 and had an old car well into his 30's it is now time to enjoy what he has worked for.
As my mum would have said you cut your suit to fit the cloth. We don't have that many expensive meals out or foeign holidays.
The shopping bill will be cut as and when and I don't begrudged anyone a manicure ot eyelash die I nearly blinded myself when I did one at home.
As I said in a previous post as long as the family are not impacted. Look at the Ukranian womens nails they must be sitting in those awful shelters giving each other manicures to while away the time and terror.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 16-Mar-22 10:14:16

Sago

I’ve just come back from the supermarket, an assistant had to come and help me as a bar code was crimped and wouldn’t scan, her very long acrylic bejewelled nails meant she couldn’t type in the necessary code, I asked her how she managed to do housework etc, she said she struggled with many tasks but her nails meant everything to her.

It’s a bit sad really.

I always wonder how ladies with very long nails manage to pull their pants up, and to put tights on without poking holes in them.?

Maggiemaybe Wed 16-Mar-22 10:23:36

Each to their own, we all make our decisions on what’s important to us. I guess some will be cutting back on treatments, just as I’ll probably end up cutting back on going out and trips away. I’m just glad I won’t be in the position of having to cut back on food or heating.

Nobody will see a difference in me anyway. My 6 weekly haircut has just gone up to £16 and I like a good face cream, but that’s about it for my maintenance. Nails, brows and chin hairs I can sort out myself.

When I tried out soft contact lenses for the first time at Specsavers years ago, I couldn’t bring myself to put my fingers in my eyes and “nip” them out. After a lot of coaxing from my optician failed to persuade me, she sent for the receptionist, who apparently got hers out with no fuss every day. When I saw her approaching with her four inch talons, I suddenly found my courage…..

aonk Wed 16-Mar-22 10:47:52

This is such an interesting thread. Everyone does have their own priorities once essentials have been purchased. I know a lady who doesn’t have heating on in her house and who mostly eats cold food to save on electricity. She only buys the cheapest of foods and doesn’t but new clothes. She spends her money on smoking and travel. I’m luckier than many to have money to spend once the bills are paid. Life hasn’t always been this comfortable so I do treat myself occasionally. My luxuries are clothes and cosmetics. Unlike some I don’t buy alcohol. Each to their own!

monk08 Wed 16-Mar-22 11:00:00

LauraNorderr thanks for the laugh regarding the young couple.

Gelleh Wed 16-Mar-22 11:14:46

I was watching programmes on channels with adverts last night. There were ads for perfumes and hair colours every 15 minutes, so I can't see that it will be an area that particularly suffers.