Gransnet forums

AIBU

New phenomenon Electric car charging cables

(57 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Wed 13-Apr-22 12:58:32

Whilst out walking a week or so ago, I noticed a yellow coiled cable lying in the small front garden.
I probably took more notice as the cottage at one time had been owned by my late father.

Last Sunday, I passed the house again.
An electric car which was parked on the road (no drive) in front of the house.
It was connected to the cable and obviously on charge .
The cable was trailed across the footpath.
The front garden is quite a bit higher up than the footpath, so there was imo an added hazard of the cable coming down the garden wall at an angle.

This is obviously a tripping hazard .
Have other GNers come across this in their local area?
I doubt this is an isolated case, especially where there are houses without drives and/or terraced without frontages.
Accidents waiting to happen.

effalump Sun 17-Apr-22 10:48:32

If it's a cable that can be laid flat, you can buy a length of that rubber floor cable cover protector. It's the sort of thing you sometimes see in offices or shops to stop trip hazzards. I bought some last year for when mum had an electric hospital bed put in the front room. I bought it off Amazon.

PamelaJ1 Sun 17-Apr-22 09:21:20

polnan

I agree GreenLady102!

come the day when someone/the Government,,will be saying electric cars are no good, everyone should get a ??????
remember diesels were the "beesknees" and on and on,

I prefer horse and carts!

?? but then we’d be swamped in horse manure and have a problem with that!,

I have an old car and after listening to a R4 programme called Sliced bread have decided that it’s kinder to the planet to keep it till it drops apart!

when it needs replacing I will buy anEV but , hopefully, by then we will have solar panels and one of the Tesla batteries.

Mamie Sun 17-Apr-22 05:14:32

The batteries can be re-purposed for supporting the use of solar energy when they are no longer sufficient to power the car.

Kryptonite Sat 16-Apr-22 21:06:30

Apparently, the batteries are difficult to dispose of and pose a threat to the environment. Also, when will the astronomical price of these cars come down?

Esspee Sat 16-Apr-22 18:31:49

Katie59

EV are cheap to run at present for those that can charge at home, others that pay to charge elsewhere don’t save much. Taxation of EVs will increase and road pricing will be brought in to replace fuel tax, on the other side EVs will become cheaper to buy.
Cars will also become more automated, maybe self driving, even speed limiting, much more to come yet, to make transport less polluting and safer too.

I am still learning but I can assure you that fully charging your car for 200 miles range at a charger is very much cheaper than the petrol needed to drive 200 miles. So far I have used mainly free chargers.
You say cars “will become more automated, maybe self driving even speed limiting.” Our new car has all those features already. I have driven 35 miles without using the steering wheel, the accelerator or the brakes. On Monday we will be driving 200 miles and intend to see how far we can get only using the indicator. You can set the cruise control to travel at the speed limit or any other speed you wish and it happily changes speed as limits change.
Overtaking requires the use of the indicator but once you indicate you wish to change lanes the car decides when and how to do it. It parks itself, frontways between two cars, reversing between two cars and the dreaded parallel parking. I have seen it demonstrated by OH but have yet to try it myself.
So wish me luck for Monday, using no steering, no accelerator, no brakes, and most importantly no fossil fuels, Manchester here we come!

grannysyb Sat 16-Apr-22 17:58:43

We have some charging points in lampposts round here, if we had an electric car I would have to use them as we don't have off street parking. At the moment I would prefer a self charging hybrid as charging points outside the big conurbations sound a bit iffy.

Grantanow Sat 16-Apr-22 17:40:06

Some people have NO possibility of having a driveway - terraced town houses, flats, etc. Having to find a vacant charger at a parking lot is a real turn off and street chargers attached to lamp posts will be hogged by those who get home first. Running a clearly marked cable across the pavement is not the end of the world.

Shizam Sat 16-Apr-22 17:22:11

Hi esspee would you mind letting me know what type of electric car you’ve bought? I’m struggling with how much the car market has changed!

Mamie Sat 16-Apr-22 15:36:55

With the current batteries there should be no need to replace them; they should last 10-20 years. The technology is not perfect, but however you look at it EVs are far better for the environment than diesel / petrol. Many of the scare stories have come from companies with a vested interest!

Welshwife Sat 16-Apr-22 15:21:13

Some hybrid cars actually only run on battery power and the small petrol engine only charges the battery and cannot power the car - not sure how many companies make this type of car but the one DS works for does/did. They are stopping production of engine based cars in the near future and going over to only EVs.
He tells me that once there is a majority of AI cars the accident rate will decrease. The technology for AI cars is very complicated as it uses many sensors around the car as well as cameras.
When he used an EV for a year - daily use - his petrol bill for the year was less than $10. The distance a battery can power the car is increasing all the time and with luck will reach 1k mark before too long.

Madashell Sat 16-Apr-22 15:17:01

Don’t forget to ask how much replacement batteries cost.

Excellent programme on radio4 recently showing that electric cars are iffy in terms of carbon - probably on Sounds.

springishere Sat 16-Apr-22 14:50:00

How will people manage if they live in a terraced house or high-rise flat, and can't always park in front? Will there be public charging points nearby? It's bad enough trying to find a parking place, without having to find one with a charging point.

Katie59 Sat 16-Apr-22 14:02:14

EV are cheap to run at present for those that can charge at home, others that pay to charge elsewhere don’t save much. Taxation of EVs will increase and road pricing will be brought in to replace fuel tax, on the other side EVs will become cheaper to buy.
Cars will also become more automated, maybe self driving, even speed limiting, much more to come yet, to make transport less polluting and safer too.

62Granny Sat 16-Apr-22 13:05:38

My neighbour has one and charges his car on his drive, I don't see that you could pin it down or cover it as it is larger than a regular hose pipe, more the size of a petrol pump. Agree would not like to have manoeuvre a wheelchair over one.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 16-Apr-22 12:56:40

Apparently the owner of the car is complying with the law, as the cable was yellow and therefore could easily be seen. So he or she is not obliged to do more.

I understand your concern, though, but apart from taking the entire matter up with your local authority, or you MP regarding further safety precautions, there is not much you can do.

Nor can I personally think of anything that would lessen the hazard of people tripping, unless the cable is fixed in place with duct tape.

Certainly, a sign saying "Beware of cable crossing pavement" or the like would help those of us who have reasonable eyesight, but is no help at all to the partially sighted or blind.

In the long term, I imagine it will be illegal to just plug in a flex in your house and run it across the pavement to your car, and that owners of electric or hybrid cars will have to either re-charge them at a parking place that has a power point, or make a driveway onto their property.

So the way forward might be to petition your local council for kerbside electric power points like those you see in marinas. Whilst you are at it, would you mind asking them to provide power-points for electric bikes too? They are in very short supply, I can assure you.

Happysexagenarian Sat 16-Apr-22 12:42:42

Several people in our village have electric cars, most of them are able to charge up on their driveways, but one car has to park on the road as you've described. They have a heavy rubber cover (yellow) that sits over the trailing cable to hold it down and make it more visible, it's very low so people can easily step over it, also mobility scooters or buggies. I don't know whether they're supplied by the cable company or separately.

I can foresee lots of annoyance, arguments and possible injuries with these trailing cables. I also think that if the government really really want us to all use electric cars they need to be a LOT cheaper. Each manufacturer should have a budget model priced at no more than £5000 to make them affordable to those on low incomes or pensions. An electric car would suit us just fine. The furthest we can travel in any direction is 24 miles or we're in the sea, but there's no way we could afford even a second hand electric car at current prices, so we'll just have to keep our 12 year old diesel car going somehow.

Esspee Sat 16-Apr-22 12:34:00

grannie7

Esspee
Would you be kind enough to say what car you bought.
We have been looking for ages to get one,but can’t decide
as so few people locally have one it’s hard to choose.We need one with a fairly big boot as it has to take mm DH golf sit on buggy.That reduces our choice.??

I have PM’d you with the details grannie7

Mamie Sat 16-Apr-22 12:31:17

If we charge it on the overnight tariff it will cost us about 4€ For a full charge here in France and our electricity is almost all nuclear or hydroelectric.

Mamie Sat 16-Apr-22 12:27:44

grannie7 We have to wait a couple of months, but we have a Peugeot 2008 on order. We had a long test drive and it is a comfortable small SUV type vehicle with good carrying capacity and is easy to get in and out of for DH who has arthritis.
We were advised to lease it as battery capacity will have improved in a few years and the cars will lose value. It has a good range (realistically about 200 miles), though not the best on offer. We will have a charging point installed here.
I think compromise is inevitable, long journeys will be a bit more complicated, but everyday trips will be fine.
It feels the right thing to do for the planet.

Nannapat1 Sat 16-Apr-22 12:11:48

As others here have discovered it is not illegal to have a cable lying over the pavement and if someone did trip over it and injure themselves, suing the cable owner would be tricky.
Cable protectors, which are brightly coloured and stable are suggested but I suspect few use them.
If electric cars do become the future, I imagine that rules will need to be put in place.

grannie7 Sat 16-Apr-22 12:07:00

my not mm

4allweknow Sat 16-Apr-22 12:06:36

How will all the pavement parkers cope with a conglomeration of cables across the footpaths. It's bad enough trying to get past those vehicles without having to avoid cables too.

grannie7 Sat 16-Apr-22 12:06:09

Esspee
Would you be kind enough to say what car you bought.
We have been looking for ages to get one,but can’t decide
as so few people locally have one it’s hard to choose.We need one with a fairly big boot as it has to take mm DH golf sit on buggy.That reduces our choice.??

cc Sat 16-Apr-22 12:01:53

Mapleleaf

I do think that there are going to be problems as more and more people buy a plug in electric car. Just where are people going to be able to charge their vehicle if they don’t live in a property that has its own drive and space to have a charging point fitted? People living in terraced housing or flats are going to have difficulties, I think, and there is potentially a hazard if lots of cables are going to be strewn across footpaths in order for people to attach them to their cars. Footpaths are already hazardous for pedestrians at times with vehicles parked half on the path and half on the road, so goodness knows what it will be like with numerous cables trailing all over them - unless I’m missing something and other methods are going to be used.
I know that there are a few charging points scattered about in various places such as pub car parks, but there are nowhere near enough of them if we are all going to go all electric with our cars. I don’t think it’s been thought through very well at all.

The other thing that few consider is how this new demand for electricity will be satisfied. Solar and wind generated don't touch it.

polnan Sat 16-Apr-22 12:00:21

I agree GreenLady102!

come the day when someone/the Government,,will be saying electric cars are no good, everyone should get a ??????
remember diesels were the "beesknees" and on and on,

I prefer horse and carts!