Gransnet forums

AIBU

Inconsiderate behaviour in theatres

(121 Posts)
Vintagejazz Wed 27-Apr-22 12:44:03

Time and again lately I have had visits to the theatre ruined by people coming in late, checking phones, eating noisily, talking etc

I remember the days when latecomers weren't allowed in until the interval, someone would be absolutely mortified if they forgot to switch off their phone and it went off during the performance and people weren't constantly drinking water and going in and out to the loo, disturbing everyone around them.

AIBU to think some people just haven't a clue how to behave at the theatre any more?

Ashcombe Thu 28-Apr-22 11:59:41

The amount of snacks consumed by participants on Gogglebox presumably reflects life in front of the TV which some people think is appropriate in theatres, etc. At our amateur theatre, patrons who arrive after curtain up are shown to seats at the back of the auditorium by the FoH Manager and advised to wait until the interval to claim their booked seats.

Vintagejazz Thu 28-Apr-22 12:16:16

Ashcombe

The amount of snacks consumed by participants on Gogglebox presumably reflects life in front of the TV which some people think is appropriate in theatres, etc. At our amateur theatre, patrons who arrive after curtain up are shown to seats at the back of the auditorium by the FoH Manager and advised to wait until the interval to claim their booked seats.

Yes I used to work in a theatre and that's how it worked. There was no way latecomers were allowed wander around looking for their seats and disturbing everyone.

silverlining48 Thu 28-Apr-22 12:18:36

I havnt been to a theatre or cinema fir over 3 years. The last time we had expensive London tickets in the aisle.. I am short and was happy the seats in front were empty but then came a couple, the biggest tallest I have ever seen. I was in shock as they completely obscured my view. Even obscured the aisle.

I had to just listen and spent my time wishing I had the courage or they had the consideration to offer to swop seats. It was really disappointing. I pretended it was a radio show,

Not being sizest here, as I am a rolly polly but am a tiny rolly polly, who doesn’t obscure even an 8 year olds view.

Tall people be aware that short ones behind you can’t see a thing. That’s my gripe fir the day.

Seabear Thu 28-Apr-22 13:45:13

I often go to the cinema alone. One time my seat was next to a woman and her two teenage children. As we were waiting for the film to begin she started to explain the entire plot to her kids in a loud voice. When I protested that I didn't want to hear it as otherwise there would be no point in staying to watch it she was most affronted. Luckily therefore plenty of empty seats so I moved as far away from them as possible. Nutter.

Seabear Thu 28-Apr-22 13:46:06

*there were

AreWeThereYet Thu 28-Apr-22 13:49:57

Silverlining48 MrA and I are reasonably tall, or would seem to be to many of the 5ft 2in GNners, so you probably wouldn't like sitting behind us. We don't inspect the people around us, so would have no idea if someone small was sitting behind us. However, if someone tapped us on the shoulder and asked nicely if we would change seats so they could see we would be happy to do it. Maybe give it a try next time - all the people could say is 'no' but you may be pleasantly surprised.

silverlining48 Thu 28-Apr-22 14:08:35

I did think to but they arrived just before it started so there was little time. We locked eyes as they walked up the aisle looking for their seats. Think I was in shock hoping they woukd carry on walking. ....
I am sure they woukd have been ok, but didnt want to offend them. Truly they were as wide as they were tall, giant rectangles, the biggest people i think i have ever seen.

Namsnanny Thu 28-Apr-22 15:05:30

Nutter!? I hate knowing anything about a film before I watch it. I've been known to hum to myself with my fingers in my ears, over the forth coming attractions shown before any film starts!
Much to the consternation of my husband. I'm sure people around me think I'm the Nutter then???

AGAA4 Thu 28-Apr-22 15:34:46

Theatre tickets are expensive so I was annoyed when my DD and I went to see The Woman in Black which is a supernatural story.
About ten teenage girls and their teacher came to sit behind us and completely ruined the atmosphere with loud giggling and talking throughout the whole play.
They ignored the teacher and everyone else who asked them to be quiet.

Vintagejazz Thu 28-Apr-22 15:55:31

Yes gangs of schoolkids at plays have become a bloody nuisance. Their teachers seem to have no authority over them and they just ruin the performance for the rest of the audience.

Nanny123 Sat 30-Apr-22 11:24:02

This really annoys me too. Why do people pay money to go to these places and then chat no stop. Winds me up no end.

polnan Sat 30-Apr-22 11:24:19

nothing new about this... been like this in cinemas and I would think even in Shakespeare`s day.

kwest Sat 30-Apr-22 11:28:15

We hardly ever go to the theatre or cinema now, partly due to the behavour of others. They even seem to have things fried in hot oil and the smell of frying is horrible.

RosiB Sat 30-Apr-22 11:33:32

On a London theatre trip in the 60s with another family my mother was horrified when the other family peeled hard boiled eggs in the interval!

DianaLouise Sat 30-Apr-22 11:34:34

I remember when going to the theatre was very special and you would dress up to go no jeans then!

Treetops05 Sat 30-Apr-22 11:37:55

I went to the cinema a few weeks ago with my son. I am 5ft2, and well on the plump side. A 'large' family came in, had tickets directly behind us and a bag for life - full of food. The first 10 minutes of the film 'were do you want Coke or Tango? Nachos or crisps? Fruit chews or chocolate peanuts? On and on...then sat talking over the dialogue...it was a weekday morning and we moved as far as possible away from them. So self centered.

TerryM Sat 30-Apr-22 11:38:09

Going to the cinema I love. We tried this week but unfortunately it was a bit of a drama , wrong movie etc. All husband's fault.
Hopefully we can go in two weeks to see the latest Marvel
However the one and only place I have popcorn is the cinema. It is all part of the excitement. Husband has a choc top and we are happy cinema goers smile

Aepgirl Sat 30-Apr-22 11:41:01

I think it was a big mistake when theatres allowed food and drink in the auditorium. I can’t understand why people pay so much money for a theatre ticket and then spend time looking at their phones. I suppose they do it at home whilst watching programmes on TV, but they clearly have never been taught theatre ‘etiquette’.

Merryweather Sat 30-Apr-22 11:44:59

I remember a year or two pre pandemic I had gone to the cinema with my two young girls and my mom. In front of us was a group of 7/8 teen boys. I can’t remember what we were watching but they were chatting. The people in front of them had asked them to be quiet with no luck then my mom did_polietly. She was told to f* off. I’m afraid I sore red and stood up full force all 5ft of me and loudly said “Don’t you dare speak to my mother like that who the hell do you think you are. Be quiet or get out”.
It kinda worked. Two of them scuttled off the remainder were as quiet as mice.
The usher approached at the end with free tickets for a return show too. Bonus!
We shouldn’t need to go to these lengths the ushers should have greater powers to remove noisy and inconsiderate patrons from theatre and cinema but again there’s pit falls with that too!

Merryweather Sat 30-Apr-22 11:45:48

Saw red autowonk at its finest!

Kim19 Sat 30-Apr-22 11:45:54

Interestingly, I visited two London theatres this week. Not a problem. Everyone behave impeccably. At one point near the end someone lit up a phone. An usher was in on it with so much speed I was amazed. Will take this opportunity of recommending 'Corn is green' at the National. 'Hamilton' was very clever too.

Bluedaisy Sat 30-Apr-22 11:47:10

There’s a couple of musicals I would love to go and see but the past 2 experiences have put me and DH off somewhat I’m afraid as when we last went to see Tina Turner and The Jersey Boys people in front of us got up and started joining in with the singing and dancing, consequently all we saw for three quarters of both shows were bums in front of annoyingly jigging about, we were furious as we’d paid good money to sit in the front stalls a few rows back from the stage and missed half the shows. It happened the same in an outdoor show at Tom Jones’s concert about 6 years ago. I’m disabled and on crutches and cannot physically stand through out a show and not do I pay for a seat to then stand and jig about, the ignoramous among us when going to the theatre, concert etc ought to give it some thought that people have paid a lot of money and maybe have been saving and looking forward to that show or concert for a long time and cannot or do not wish to pay out just to ‘listen’ to the show whilst watching the people all around them dancing and joining in the performance ?

Nannashirlz Sat 30-Apr-22 11:48:56

Yes I remember my parents saying get up and let adults or older ppl or disabled pregnant etc sit. and I’ve done it all my life now I’m one of these ppl and ppl don’t do it anymore if Tommy is sitting on seat mum just looks other way and ignores you. But it’s like opening doors, standing aside for ppl manners seem to have gone. Ppl seem to think it’s all about me me me and nobody else matters. Covid seems to have brought out nasty side of most ppl.

Dempie55 Sat 30-Apr-22 11:52:24

The last time I went to the theatre, the couple in front of me brought in two Cokes. They proceeded to steadily top their drinks up with vodka, concealed in a brown paper bag. Throughout the show, they got noisier and noisier, whooping and singing along to every song. At the end of the performance, the woman couldn't stand up to leave the theatre, she simply slid to the floor in a giggling heap!

LizzieDrip Sat 30-Apr-22 11:55:07

I think the disrespectful behaviour in theatres is symbolic of such behaviour in general everyday life now. No one speaks quietly anymore; people shout into their phones in public places, telling all and sundry about their ‘private’ business! It seems that people no longer consider the impact of their behaviour on those around them - hence inconsiderate behaviour in theatres … and all aroundsad