Gransnet forums

AIBU

A like button?

(204 Posts)
CoffeeFirst Wed 04-May-22 07:35:15

I’ve been thinking (yes again) just how good it would be to have a ‘Like’ button against posts?

Sorry just thinking out aloud ??

garnet25 Tue 10-May-22 14:19:50

Thank you icanhandthemback That is exactly what I meant.

icanhandthemback Mon 09-May-22 19:26:17

MaizieD

Lucca

But you can bye using the quote option . I still don’t understand what threaded means or looks like.

You don't even have to clutter up the thread with huge 'quotes'. You can copy and paste the bit you want to reply to, with attribution to the person you're quoting. Just like we used to before we got the 'quote' function'

You don't even have to clutter up the thread with huge 'quotes'. You can copy and paste the bit you want to reply to, with attribution to the person you're quoting. Just like we used to before we got the 'quote' function'

But, people don't though, do they MaizieD. They answer several posts on (sometimes several pages on) with no attribution or clue as to what they are talking about. At least you'd stand some chance of seeing who they were responding to. Also, when a thread gets bogged down with an argument between 2 people who are tenacious and immoveable, you can just move on!

FannyCornforth Mon 09-May-22 16:22:48

Reddit is ‘threaded’. I only realise this now.
I hate that layout.
But then I struggle with Reddit anyway (however; it is brilliant; I’ve even got my dad into it)

MaizieD Mon 09-May-22 15:59:32

P.S I think that 'threaded' would look like facebook or twitter, where you can reply directly to someone, starting what might turn out to be a string of responses to the same point.
I can see its attraction but it can get tedious.

MaizieD Mon 09-May-22 15:56:42

Lucca

But you can bye using the quote option . I still don’t understand what threaded means or looks like.

Lucca Mon 09-May-22 15:52:46

garnet25 Mon 09-May-22 15:51:06

It would mean that you could answer a particular message directly.

Lucca Mon 09-May-22 15:48:43

What is “threaded “ ?

garnet25 Mon 09-May-22 15:44:10

I'm not so worried about a like or dislike button but I do wish the comments could be threaded. I only look at Gransnet once a day and often see comments that I would like to reply to directly but they are way up the thread so threading would be really helpful. I assume others are on the forum much more often.

Vintagejazz Mon 09-May-22 11:06:20

I think because it's an offshoot of Mumsnet. But unless every forum and thread is focused on issues to do with being grandparents then yes, it's a bit of a misnomer.

I doubt most people come on here to hear about other's grandchildren. I first joined to get opinions on a gardening issue then stayed because of the myriad subjects being discussed.

BlueSky Mon 09-May-22 09:21:23

I’m not sure why this site has been called ‘Gransnet’ in the first place. Most people would assume the topics are only of interest to grannies, in fact I’m surprised non grandparents find the site at all.

FannyCornforth Mon 09-May-22 08:14:58

Urms. Yes, like that Chinese curse; we certainly live in interesting times sad

Daisymae Mon 09-May-22 08:03:38

With regards to the OP, I don't think that it's a good idea. As for posters, well GN is a public forum so anyone can read and post. Which is worth remembering.

Urmstongran Mon 09-May-22 07:57:29

I think world events have polarised opinions (Covid & mask wearing for instance, or Brexit as two examples). If GN used to be gentler maybe that because times were different - not to much to get het up about? Just a thought.

Oldnproud Mon 09-May-22 07:23:36

A couple of quotes from Gransnet's own info page:

Gransnet is the busiest social networking site for the over 50s

Our forums cover a wide range of topics - not just grandparenting. In other words, it doesn't matter in the slightest whether you have grandchildren or not!

www.gransnet.com/info/about

I think that is clear enough!

rac47 Mon 09-May-22 05:47:10

Excellent idea!

Lucca Sun 08-May-22 22:07:21

What a load of rubbish. There are lots of regular posters who are neither parents nor grandparents who make valuable contributions, and they would be sorely missed as opposed to those who come on and ramble incoherently ……

Vintagejazz Sun 08-May-22 21:21:22

I think gransnet is meant as an indication of the general age of the membership on here.

I couldn't care less if posters are grandparents or not as long as they're civil and respectful to other posters and basically act their age.

The ones that don't, with or without grandchildren, are the ones who shouldn't be posting on here.

jenwren Sun 08-May-22 16:42:57

CoffeeFirst

I’ve been thinking (yes again) just how good it would be to have a ‘Like’ button against posts?

Sorry just thinking out aloud ??

Agree

Galaxy Sun 08-May-22 15:32:19

Are you sure you arent from MN ?, the 'oh it used to be so much better in the old days' is a very MN quote.

Marydoll Sun 08-May-22 15:16:41

I have been posting on GN since 2015, it has never been the way you describe, Nannan2
It used to be full of nice folk just having a chinwag together, & airing a few decent views. Not all attacking every little thing one or two say

GN definitely has lots of gentle threads, where people have a chinwag, I am on them daily. However, but have you ever been on the political threads or the Covid ones? Now that is a totally different ball game. Nevertheless they are still a valuable, interesting and informative part of GN.

The diversity of personalities, backgrounds and opinions is what makes GN an interesting site. Otherwise, it would only be about a group of grans, chatting about knitting patterns, recipes and their grandchildren. How boring it would be.

Nannan2 Sun 08-May-22 15:13:30

Yes it was all lovely& full of camaraderie till Mumsnetters arrived..?‍♀️

FannyCornforth Sun 08-May-22 15:07:33

I’m here because I genuinely love it here!
I have lots of friends here.
The vast majority of people here are lovely.
Lots of company, support and fun.
Interesting and informative discussions.
Advice and recommendations.
Genuine camaraderie with lots of different types of women, from lots of backgrounds and lots of different opinions.
I think that that is reasonable enough of me

Nannan2 Sun 08-May-22 15:06:38

No FC, but maybe i might need one.?...what you all need is just a normal everyday chat site just for NON grandparents, not gransnet.(oh is that like facebook etc?) Wouldn't know .not on that, its full of idiots as well.??

Nannan2 Sun 08-May-22 15:02:15

If you have grandchildren then id say you qualify- folk don't have to be a parent to have gc- could be by adoption, marriage etc- but If i was not a Grandparent of any description, i would NOT want to even join a site called 'Gransnet'- why would you? If you're not one?at all? Peoples reasoning fails me sometimes?