Gransnet forums

AIBU

Traders with too much work to care.

(84 Posts)
Quizzer Wed 29-Jun-22 19:26:47

Just waited in for two hours for a bathroom fitter to come round to give us an estimate for an expensive bathroom renovation. In the end I sent a text asking if he was still interested in the job. He replied telling me “not to be so snotty” as he had been busy all day. He said I could make another appointment.
I don’t feel inclined to hire a tradesman who can’t even bother to send a text to say he is not coming. Even more so because he calls me snotty for asking a perfectly reasonable question.
Anyone else had experiences like this?

Allsorts Thu 30-Jun-22 15:01:33

If they let me down without contacting me, I don’t chase them, think what they would be like if you had a problem after they had done the job.. That’s why I’ve still got a list of jobs as long as my arm.

WMum01 Thu 30-Jun-22 15:24:37

I have now got to the stage where, IF I can get someone to come and look at a job, I say to them .....,
"If you think the job is too small, it's going to be months etc before you might get to me, I would rather you say no now, rather than keep us all waiting". Yes some do, sadly more than not these days. At least I know where I stand.
All they are interested these days are big contracts, whole house or streets on a new estate. The day of a tradesperson coming to do a small, bit vital to you, job are over. I have to rely on friends, neighbours and friends of friends in the main. One local window fitter keeps a book of people who want 1 or 2 windows doing, maybe a replacement toilet window. He saves them up, usually no more than 4-6 week wait. He then sets aside 1 week and does them all. He is VERY busy.

JennyCee Thu 30-Jun-22 16:36:44

Why not try your local ‘Next Door’ and ask on there.
You may be lucky and have recommendations but they may also tell you who to steer clear of.
Shame our education systems stopped woodwork and metalwork all those years ago. Should bring back domestic science as well.

GANNET Thu 30-Jun-22 16:44:20

I am married to a builder and he is trying to retire but is in constant demand. We haven’t trained up younger people and then the push for young people to go on to university has exacerbated the problem. Ironically my husband earns more than I do and I did the traditional academic and senior management route. Sadly some people look down on vocational careers… ironic really. I have known him be asked to not use their downstairs loo or they put paper down for him to walk on. If he gets a drink it’s in an old chipped mug. Most times these customers would be shocked if they knew where we lived but hey if you marry a builder you get a great propertysmile

Yammy Thu 30-Jun-22 16:52:29

jenpax

It amazes me how many people have the money to get work done! We have just had a pandemic and now cost of living crisis, so where are all these people coming from ?

If there's something wrong with your drains you try to get a plumber you cut your shopping bills and budget until you can pay the bill. The problems have been building up since the beginning of the pandemic and if your OH can't do it you have to pay someone

Madashell Thu 30-Jun-22 17:57:42

Word of mouth is the best, but if they’re any good you won’t get a look in. Young people now don’t look on the “trades” as being worth their while, or just can’t hack hard physical work. Schools are made to encourage academic qualifications rather than manual work. We have learned the hard way who not to employ - I resent having to fix a job that I’ve paid for. Can’t get a painter and decorator for love nor money. The kitchen re-fit has taken months to organise, and we’re still waiting for a door which has, twice already, been sent damaged.
If you need small jobs doing try your local Age Uk, they usually have someone who works for them (you pay).

Grantanow Thu 30-Jun-22 17:59:47

Yes, too few tradesmen and too much work is a problem. Some jobs I do myself. The underlying problem is that successive governments have encouraged young people to go to university. Some of them get degrees of little value in career terms. If a reasonable number were encouraged to do trades courses at local further education colleges - always a Cinderella sector - to become plumbers, etc., that would help.

nipsmum Thu 30-Jun-22 18:16:02

Several years ago I spoke to a joiner who had been working next door all week. I explained what I would like done and asked for a quote in writing. He shook his head and said it wouldn't be worth his time to do the job. The job was worth over £1000.

Tusue Thu 30-Jun-22 18:43:04

I wouldn’t entertain any tradesman who called me snotty just because HE was late .

Fennel Thu 30-Jun-22 20:17:09

Such a good thread.
Personally - in spite of my acamdemic qualivifications my DH and his family's practial skills are keeping us going in our old age.
We need our education system for later years o return to practical things , even apprenticeships.
Faint hoped with this Govt.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 30-Jun-22 20:45:18

Our council, North Somerset, has a handyman service for the over 60s and I have used it many times for smaller jobs. Once I needed a new kitchen tap fitted , he asked what sort I wanted and bought it from a local shop on his way. They do all sorts of jobs even clean gutters and paths. Also it’s a reduced rate.

Kim19 Thu 30-Jun-22 21:00:57

Same but different........ I went into a new eatery today. Selected order from list above counter, paid and I was given a square flashing machine which would tell me when my order was ready to be collected from the counter. I did so and asked if we could have coffee. 'Use your phone on disc on table and coffee list will be shown'. 'Don't have that kind of phone'. 'Sorry, can't serve you '. Obviously customer is no longer king.

StarDreamer Thu 30-Jun-22 21:25:15

> 'Use your phone on disc on table and coffee list will be shown'.

Was there a QR code printed into the table top please?

StarDreamer Thu 30-Jun-22 21:33:59

nipsmum

Several years ago I spoke to a joiner who had been working next door all week. I explained what I would like done and asked for a quote in writing. He shook his head and said it wouldn't be worth his time to do the job. The job was worth over £1000.

I've had the "wouldn't be worth it".

Yet how can they think that a job not be worth it when they set the price? smile

Kim19 Thu 30-Jun-22 21:38:18

Yes there was what I think might be a QR code on the table. My guest tried to take photograph with her phone. No success.

StarDreamer Thu 30-Jun-22 21:43:31

From time to time I have seen advertisements for handymen who have in the advertisement No job too small

Has anyone any experiece of wanting a very small job done and contacted someone advertising in that way and can say way happened please?

Do the mean it, or is it "Oh not that small"

For example, if you want one branch about an inch in diameter pruned off a shrub as it is growing out over the path at head height and it is gradually growing out further.

Will they do that or do they require bundling in a lot of other gardening?

StarDreamer Thu 30-Jun-22 21:44:13

Kim19

Yes there was what I think might be a QR code on the table. My guest tried to take photograph with her phone. No success.

Thank you.

Milest0ne Thu 30-Jun-22 23:39:51

I have had several lots of work done recently.
Worcester Bosch are excellent. A lady technical expert agreed with me what wanted doing and put the part on the engineers van. She couldn't give me a time for the next day. but at 7.50am the engineer arrived. Job done and departed by 8am.
I had a leak and rang the plumber at 9 15am, who had done other jobs for us He came at 10am. Half an hour and job done.
We have also had new carpets. The fitters came when expected and did a good job.
Solicitors? I won't go there.

Catterygirl Thu 30-Jun-22 23:42:08

I have owned five properties over my lifetime. After reading this, am glad to be renting, so repairs not my problem.

4allweknow Fri 01-Jul-22 00:06:29

I'd ditch him. Trades people are very busy but common courtesy is still part and parcel of a business. If he can't be bothered at this stage, makes you wonder what he'd be like doing the work.

jenpax Fri 01-Jul-22 01:18:54

Yammy
“If there's something wrong with your drains you try to get a plumber you cut your shopping bills and budget until you can pay the bill. The problems have been building up since the beginning of the pandemic and if your OH can't do it you have to pay someone” I was thinking more of the new bathrooms kitchens etc i had to have my roof repaired and a gas engineer during the pandemic so I understand that, its the discretionary spending I was referring to

StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 07:59:33

Milest0ne

I have had several lots of work done recently.
Worcester Bosch are excellent. A lady technical expert agreed with me what wanted doing and put the part on the engineers van. She couldn't give me a time for the next day. but at 7.50am the engineer arrived. Job done and departed by 8am.
I had a leak and rang the plumber at 9 15am, who had done other jobs for us He came at 10am. Half an hour and job done.
We have also had new carpets. The fitters came when expected and did a good job.
Solicitors? I won't go there.

> She couldn't give me a time for the next day. but at 7.50am the engineer arrived.

Did she tell you that arrival at 7:50 am was a possibility please?

As in providing you with a time range within which the engineer might arrive. 7:50 am does seem rather early to arrive otherwise.

mar76 Fri 01-Jul-22 08:25:09

I wanted new kitchen worktops but was quoted £1000. I took the plunge and bought some sticky back plastic and did it myself. Friends hink it's the real thing. Cost £40. Really pleased.

Greyduster Fri 01-Jul-22 08:51:31

We’ve had this for a couple of years, trying to get someone to come and give a quote for work on our roof. They all say they’ll come and don’t turn up. You ring them to find out why and they don’t return your calls. One that did come was clearly not up to the job and we’ve been caught out like that before. My nephew who is a builder says everyone worth their salt is absolutely pulled out with work and it’s taking longer to do jobs they do take on because they can’t get materials. I am fortunate in that I have a plumber who is a former neighbour and is always prepared to come out for me, especially since DH is no longer here. Unfortunately he doesn’t do roofs, though?!

Franbern Fri 01-Jul-22 10:45:40

I think it does need to be pointed out that the problems with tradespeople is not so much to do with the Pandemic as the fact that Brexit caused so many good plumbers, electricians, builders, decorators, etc. etc. to be told they were no longer welcome in the UK and to return back to their homes in Poland, etc.

We reap what we sew!!!!