Gransnet forums

AIBU

Teachers

(148 Posts)
jenpax Thu 22-Sep-22 15:45:13

For anyone who is/ was a teacher AIBU.
My DGS (year 8) is in top stream at his school. He was off sick one day this week and missed a geography lesson. He was set a quiz, this was the result, he scored 80% despite not being there for one of the relevant lessons, but the teacher gives detention if a student scores less than 100%. He is very distressed as he is conscientious and hard working.
I feel this is overly harsh and discouraging, certainly at his age I too would have been disheartened.
I am keen that he continues to be enthusiastic about school and worry that this type of punitive regime will be counter productive.
The school has an outstanding OFSTED

DillytheGardener Thu 22-Sep-22 20:09:08

What happens to students who aren’t naturally bright, disabled or chronically ill, SEN or are dyslexic/dyspraxic. Seems like a great way to demotivate and alienate these groups of children so they drop out and they can achieve ‘outstanding’ status. Grim.

growstuff Thu 22-Sep-22 20:11:07

Fleurpepper

imaround says 'Something is missing from the story you are being told.'

as a retired teacher, I think the same. There is a missing link here.

I agree. After looking at the instructions for the "self-quiz", questions are based on a Knowledge Organiser (KO). The information required will be in the KO, so wouldn't be affected by absence. A top stream pupil should have been able to access the information easily.

growstuff Thu 22-Sep-22 20:12:47

Callistemon21

I've never heard of a primary school pupil getting detention. As a parent and grandparent I would go to pick up the child at the normal time and refuse to allow them to stay later.

Are primary school pupils streamed? I've never heard of that either.

Who gets 100% as a matter of course? It must be rare.

Is this real?

This is a top stream secondary school pupil in his second year.

lixy Thu 22-Sep-22 20:20:43

Was the detention at the end of the day or during a lunch break?
Detentions are usually for poor behaviour or not having the requisite equipment rather than lack of attainment. If your GS followed the guidelines - 3 attempts, copy out the questions, take your time - then parents should be talking to the teacher concerned or the child's form tutor. Most schools will have parents' evenings coming up soon!

eazybee Thu 22-Sep-22 20:21:41

Children are 'set' in some schools by ability. I don't know whether there are streams in secondary schools.
Thanks for explaining what KO stands for; it seems as though the whole story is not here.

Quokka Thu 22-Sep-22 20:26:25

Something not quite right in this.

Deedaa Thu 22-Sep-22 20:38:27

One of DD's friends is a teacher. She was working at a school which was consistently rated Outstanding by Ofsted. She left because she found it a horrible place to work and moved to another school which had a lower rating but the children were happy.

MissAdventure Thu 22-Sep-22 20:44:19

My grandsons school quite suddenly began giving detentions for not sitting up straight, not immediately facing front, not standing when the teacher entered the room.

growstuff Thu 22-Sep-22 20:52:51

MissAdventure

My grandsons school quite suddenly began giving detentions for not sitting up straight, not immediately facing front, not standing when the teacher entered the room.

That's because Birbalsingh's Michaela School is flavour of the month and that's what they do.

growstuff Thu 22-Sep-22 20:57:21

eazybee

Children are 'set' in some schools by ability. I don't know whether there are streams in secondary schools.
Thanks for explaining what KO stands for; it seems as though the whole story is not here.

Knowledge Organisers have become very popular and are endorsed by the Conservative DfE. They're a summary of the facts pupils have to learn and are usually issued in each subject. They expect pupils to learn by rote and memorising followed up with testing (or self-quizzing, as it's now called). The assignment in the OP specifically mentions the KO, so I would expect all the information to be there.

MissAdventure Thu 22-Sep-22 20:59:12

Ah, well, I'm all for standards being maintained, but it did seem pretty ridiculous to end up with a 90 minute detention for not having a green pen.

mokryna Thu 22-Sep-22 21:08:35

When my children were off sick I would contact another parent to find out what had been taught. If I could get a photo copy of the notebook so that they could be kept up to date that was even better. A lot easier nowadays with phones taking photos but then I live in France.
Detention could mean spending 5/10 minutes with the teacher during playtime, when the teacher gives an explication of the missed lesson.

mokryna Thu 22-Sep-22 21:11:16

Sorry, see that he was sent into detention.

growstuff Thu 22-Sep-22 21:19:35

mokryna

When my children were off sick I would contact another parent to find out what had been taught. If I could get a photo copy of the notebook so that they could be kept up to date that was even better. A lot easier nowadays with phones taking photos but then I live in France.
Detention could mean spending 5/10 minutes with the teacher during playtime, when the teacher gives an explication of the missed lesson.

This child wasn't being tested on what had been taught in a lesson, but what was written down in a Knowledge Organiser.

My guess is that it was tested by Quizlet online and the pupil had three attempts.

Nanatoone Thu 22-Sep-22 21:29:46

I also agree that this is not the whole story. If all the information is a a a available to this very able pupil and he didn’t follow instructions to ensure he got all the facts then he didn’t do it right. I’m sure he knows what’s needed. It seems like a good way to revise work to me. Keeping all the pupils in the right place. I wish we’d had something like this, the teacher must have done a lot of work to create the quizzes and provide the answers.

Dickens Thu 22-Sep-22 21:30:41

Callistemon21

I've never heard of a primary school pupil getting detention. As a parent and grandparent I would go to pick up the child at the normal time and refuse to allow them to stay later.

Is this real?

... those were my thoughts also.

growstuff Thu 22-Sep-22 21:33:49

The idea with this system is to ensure that every pupil understands each step before going on to the next one, so I would expect 100%. It's not like other forms of testing.

growstuff Thu 22-Sep-22 21:35:17

Nanatoone

I also agree that this is not the whole story. If all the information is a a a available to this very able pupil and he didn’t follow instructions to ensure he got all the facts then he didn’t do it right. I’m sure he knows what’s needed. It seems like a good way to revise work to me. Keeping all the pupils in the right place. I wish we’d had something like this, the teacher must have done a lot of work to create the quizzes and provide the answers.

Schools often buy in these schemes.

PS. See the thread about schools being privatised. Some of them spend money on curriculum plans and Knowledge Organisers just like this one.

Lucca Thu 22-Sep-22 22:03:19

Callistemon21

Is this real?

She says he is in year 8. Not primary.

Lucca Thu 22-Sep-22 22:09:50

Sorry I see someone has already explained that.
Obviously there is some missing information.
Detention immediately would be a nonsense and isn’t for not achieving academically anyway, it’s for poor behaviour or consistent failure to do homework …..or was !!

Mollygo Thu 22-Sep-22 22:21:38

imaround

I should add that it states he can retake the quiz up to 3 times to improve his score.

That does not sound like a teacher who would give detention for an 80%.

Something is missing from the story you are being told.

Definitely sounds like something is missing. No mention of detention there, only chance to try the test 3 times and a look at his work. His parents should go and see the teacher or the head to query this.
Year 8 is second year high school, but still expecting 100% is a lot

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Sep-22 22:37:52

Lucca

Callistemon21

Is this real?

She says he is in year 8. Not primary.

My mistake!

I thought he was 8! 100% wrong
Detention for me ?

DaisyAnne Thu 22-Sep-22 22:45:43

Callistemon21

Is this real?

That does seem a strange way to teach to me - more China than Chelsey (or anywhere else in the UK beginning with C). It seems odd to expect everyone to get 100%. What does that mean when it comes to learning and understanding? However, I'm not a teacher, so perhaps teaching is simply training, Pavlov's style, these days.

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Sep-22 23:01:11

I just had a look at some samples.

It seems as if it's just answering multiple choice questions which are given in a factsheet with illustrations so perhaps he didn't concentrate when instructions were given.

Perhaps the teacher wanted him to stay on in break time to explain where he went wrong.

GagaJo Thu 22-Sep-22 23:18:26

I'm a teacher. My DGS is at an 'outstanding' school. I really, really don't like it. Neither does he. Everything they do is to ensure they get another outstanding from Ofsted next time around. Not to help the students. Academically, it's good. He's making fast progress. But there is no room for students who're having problems of any kind to deviate off that progress path. If they do, they're a hindrance. The best schools I've worked in have been graded Good. Not so obsessed with box ticking that they couldn't support children that didn't fit in the boxes.

IF the teacher is giving a detention for less than 100%, it'll be driven by someone in authority, higher than her. Although it doesn't look as if it's a detention. More being kept behind to make sure he can either retake the test OR get support to make sure he does better next time. If all the information he needed was in the knowledge organiser, he should have been able to extract the information into his work and if he wasn't able to, the teacher would check why not.

Y8 isn't really primary though. It's KS3. Year 7 and up can do detention, IF they deserve it. Detentions aren't always sitting in silence, doing lines. My detentions are usually helping out around the classroom, while I have a chat with the student/s. It's a very good time to find out if there are deeper reasons for whatever the problem is that's getting them in trouble.