Gransnet forums

AIBU

Creepy Adverts on Television. [1]

(120 Posts)
Vintagenonna Sat 04-Feb-23 10:26:10

It may be me . . . but is anyone else left feeling a little "icky" by the advert for Bold washing pods featuring a 'Dad' being sent out on a date in his best shirt by his daughters?

He may not be 'Dad' of course. Maybe he is Uncle Jim or much much older bro.

Just feels . . . creepy.

Do the girls wait up to hear a blow by blow account of his evening out (note the heart messages signalled as he sets off down the pathway)?

Calendargirl Mon 20-Mar-23 15:59:49

PinkCosmos

The new advert for Tesco (I think) where the woman's face changes into a big smiley cartoon face. It's quite scary.

I realise this is an old-ish thread

I agree, it’s horrible. She looks like she is planning an axe murder, not just doing a grocery shop.

PinkCosmos Mon 20-Mar-23 14:45:14

The new advert for Tesco (I think) where the woman's face changes into a big smiley cartoon face. It's quite scary.

I realise this is an old-ish thread

Harris27 Mon 27-Feb-23 11:09:15

I just said this to my husband that it’s a sign of the times. And every advert now has one black parent and one white. It’s as if they’re taking the politically correctness to another level. I’m cringing when the woman is sitting on the toilet when my son has visited it just makes me feel uneasy.

ixion Mon 27-Feb-23 11:01:14

Greenfinch

I have just seen the one for Flo tampons with the actors in historical costumes. Horrible!

We tend to mute the adverts and were quite sure from the visuals that the product was a new ice cream or sorbet.

The prominent glass of red wine can't be a coincidence, surely?

Witzend Mon 27-Feb-23 10:51:33

One I really disliked was apparently ‘translated’ from the American - some irritating woman saying to her dog, ‘Let’s go exercise!’ - what Brit would ever say that to anyone, let alone the dog) - and the dog is not at all keen.
Profoundly stupid!
(She should of course have said, ‘Walkies!’)

Greenfinch Thu 16-Feb-23 20:00:24

I have just seen the one for Flo tampons with the actors in historical costumes. Horrible!

Wyllow3 Wed 15-Feb-23 13:38:26

I respect your personal choices yammy but would welcome the chance to explain the realities of life to my 6 yr old Granddaughter in similar position.

I have an nearly 9 yr old very disabled granddaughter and poo and wee at the wrong times are part of family life, why is it so awful for children to learn that for elderly or disabled people its not just little kids? Could it not maybe be a positive?

Yammy Wed 15-Feb-23 10:59:44

hulahoop

I don't like ads for any sort of pads especially before 9pm.

I agree, a young GD left up till 9 as a treat and I had to explain why a granddad was standing in his undies with a pad down them. As hula hoop says before the watershed no sanitary products thank you.

MayBee70 Wed 15-Feb-23 10:24:59

Georgesgran

Fairy washing pods woman is Vogue Williams. She is (was) a model and was married to a member of Westlife. Now married to Spencer, who was in Made in Chelsea. I think she did some sort of reality programme with her mother.
Before you ask - I’m just a font of useless information!

I thought it was her. She did a very good webchat with Steph McGovern about IBS the other day which was really informative.

Wyllow3 Wed 15-Feb-23 10:06:29

Always fun.

Georgesgran Wed 15-Feb-23 09:07:57

Fairy washing pods woman is Vogue Williams. She is (was) a model and was married to a member of Westlife. Now married to Spencer, who was in Made in Chelsea. I think she did some sort of reality programme with her mother.
Before you ask - I’m just a font of useless information!

Wyllow3 Wed 15-Feb-23 08:58:35

that family is obnoxious!

Well if I watch ITV 3 ever in the day one can count on being bamboozled with funeral plans, stairs lifts, easy access baths, mobility scooters, all with a lady wh is uglily to need same for at least 10 years..

I love the bold washing one. Mind you, the "dad" doesn't look like he needs a lot of help exactly.

I'm comfy with the lady on the loo, too. Perhaps its just about time its recognised men can leak too is all. all "natural functions", why not? One thing all the Tena ads do is take away any shame or secrecy attached to those difficulties. Watching it with kids shouldn't be a problem - they've been through the "everything poo related being a hoot and may have younger sibs still at that stage.

But whats the view on the "meerkat" ads? they are very "marmite" -love or hate them. I like them.

Ali08 Wed 15-Feb-23 07:57:36

That's not half as bad as the adverts I see for games in my phone!
Must we be subjected to families being ripped apart by mistresses etc to entice people to play?
I know it goes on in real life, but do we really need to see it in games?
And the ones about a husband smelling his wife's best friends feet and flatulence etc....no wonder kids of today are so bad!!

BrandyGran Tue 14-Feb-23 20:34:50

The ad that makes me smile every time I see it (about a million times and counting!) is the one for Lumbers rings. A tall lanky fellow walks hand in hand with his girlfriend up a steep hill and then………. Wait for it……. He gets down on one knee and holds out an open box with a beautiful ring inside. She gasps and he makes a cheesy grin. I just love it!

BrandyGran Tue 14-Feb-23 20:14:42

Totally agree Aquagran. That ad is awful with the obnoxious boy! The holiday company is called On the Beach. Imagine being in the same hotel or beside them “on the beach”! I think whoever thought that up has shot themselves in the foot.

Calendargirl Sun 12-Feb-23 07:36:11

Re celebrities doing the advert voice overs.

I find myself thinking “Hmm, whose voice is that?”

Kevin Whateley does one, is it for equity release?, and I think Felicity Kendal has also started doing one, not sure what it’s for, but it’s an age related one.

Nothing makes one more aware of the passing years than being asked to front ‘elderly’ adverts, I suspect.

👵🏻👴🏻

AussieGran59 Sun 12-Feb-23 04:38:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Callistemon21 Sat 11-Feb-23 20:34:44

🤔 so he can't afford to finance them without doing that?
I don't mind him really, it's all the others ,,,,

Chardy Sat 11-Feb-23 19:32:46

Callistemon21

What really, really annoys me is when very well-known, well-paid, super-rich actors and celebrities are employed to do the adverts.

Judi Dench, Carol Vorderman, Kevin Bacon, George Clooney, Lily James et al.

Not only do they prevent struggling actors making some essential money making adverts, their fee is so huge the price of the product they're selling will be higher.
I can't even remember what they are advertising in most cases.
Oh yes, George and coffee (but no idea what make).

And that one where a woman strums a guitar on a beach on a planet somewhere is so annoying ......

It's my understanding that Clooney only does ads outside USA, and they're to financially support his independent films.

aquagran Sat 11-Feb-23 14:15:02

Maybe70
He’s very cute!

Shantygirly Sat 11-Feb-23 13:06:38

I avoid all the adverts by recording anything I like on ITV and then I can whizz through the adverts. The donkey one is particularly annoying!

Damdee Sat 11-Feb-23 12:23:03

I agree with Allsorts that so many ads now have mixed race families. Advertisers obviously afraid of offending someone. I wondered if ads are tested out on real people before they decide to go ahead - I mean how can a donkey with a Scottish accent in the bathroom encourage you to buy the product?

Caleo Sat 11-Feb-23 12:14:37

Actually the revolting things may be bacteria. I did not wait to find out.

Caleo Sat 11-Feb-23 12:13:49

I agree all these ads for online dating are off putting. If that is a sample of the men on offer would be tempted ?

The ad that makes me feel unwell is the vacuum cleaner ad that shows a blown up picture of fleas' eggs. I usually manage to look away in time.

Callistemon21 Sat 11-Feb-23 12:08:17

Juliet27

Granmarderby10

“Always keep away from children” 😂 on detergent pods.
Well I try my best…..

🤣. my thoughts too!!

😂😂😂