Gransnet forums

AIBU

Would you mind if photos of work done in your house were put online.

(74 Posts)
Doodledog Mon 06-Feb-23 21:07:37

We've had some work done on the house (cosmetic stuff like decorating and built-in furniture) all by local businesses.

I have now realised that they have all taken photos of their work and put them on their (separate) social media pages without asking me or saying anything about it.

AIBU to be annoyed? They are before and after shots of my house, and I was unaware that they were being taken and that they were going to be posted online. I knew that the companies used this sort of marketing, as I checked them out before employing them, and there is no indication that it is Doodle Towers that is in the photos, just 'This is some furniture that I fitted in Hometown', sort of thing, but anyone who knows me will recognise that it's my house, and there are things like books on the shelves and ornaments on the mantelpiece that can be seen.

I feel uncomfortable about it, but I don't know whether to ask them to take the photos down, as it's a fairly normal way of showing off their skills and giving future clients ideas about what they can do. So far, all the comments have been positive, but I would have been really upset if someone had made unsolicited negative comments, which could happen. I would have been much happier if I'd been asked, and had signed off on what was being shown of my house.

What do you think?

NotSpaghetti Thu 09-Feb-23 12:23:14

Very rude sazz1

NotSpaghetti Thu 09-Feb-23 12:22:46

I would comment on the FB page to say you haven't given permission (dud your niece?)

sazz1 Thu 09-Feb-23 11:58:56

I took a really good photo of my niece at her wedding in her wedding dress. Unusual for me as im not a good photographer lol Added it to her FB post of wedding photos. A few months later an advert came up for the dress shop she bought from, showing my photo on their page. I thought it was a cheek tbh.

Doodledog Wed 08-Feb-23 01:26:33

Why odd?

It was a friend who told me, FWIW. One of those nosy types who browses local houses for sale, and wants to know what everything costs. That’s probably why she was looking actually grin.

Hetty58 Tue 07-Feb-23 23:21:58

It struck me as really very odd - that you'd even notice. Surely, you wouldn't look at the website again, having already chosen the worker? Maybe a friend might, if you recommended them. Where is the harm then?

Doodledog Tue 07-Feb-23 22:55:00

I might mention it to the carpenter when he comes to do some additional bits. I don't want to say anything before then, as technically he has finished the job and is doing me a favour. I might not bother, as if he'd asked I would have agreed, so it seems a bit petty.

I have asked the decorator to remove the 'before' shots, as some of them made the place look tatty (it was, but that's why I got it decorated!) and agreed to take new ones of the decorated rooms now that they have furniture in, which will give a better idea of the work than when it was all paste tables, ladders and dust sheets, and will give me a say in what I want to make public.

Thanks for all the opinions. They have helped me to make up my mind.

Daisymae Tue 07-Feb-23 20:20:32

A builder used ours but not without permission. They should have asked first, I can understand why it would feel like an invasion of privacy. Why not phone and ask for them to be removed?

toscalily Tue 07-Feb-23 20:09:26

Grammaretto torn and moth-eaten is now vintage, up cycled and worth so much more grin

Grammaretto Tue 07-Feb-23 18:55:08

Yes Doodledog my filthy carpet came up just like the one in the video. Very satisfying to see it's colours revealed. But the carpet was rather torn and motheaten so wasn't ever going to look perfect.

NotSpaghetti Tue 07-Feb-23 18:55:06

Molly! grin

Mollygo Tue 07-Feb-23 16:32:58

Got a quote for the kitchen cupboard doors this morning. I asked if the fitters would take photos.
“Probably,” he said. “They’re to use for advertisements.”
“What if I ask them not to take photos?”
“Well they probably wouldn’t then.”

I was a bit taken aback. “Probably wouldn’t?”
“Er, well, not if you’ve asked them not to.”

So now we have a contract that says no photos, just on the principle of my choice! Thanks Doodledog.

tickingbird Tue 07-Feb-23 16:17:46

Doodledog

I don't know where you get the idea that it's akin to spending thousands on a court case over 2 inches of boundary.

Well you weren’t supposed to take it so personally or so literally! I wasn’t specifically replying to you; just the general tone of the thread. People getting inordinately irked by stuff especially when they feel ‘their’ property has been stolen (again, not literally). I believe the expression used in the US is Don’t sweat the small stuff!

I’m off as I have nothing further to contribute on this outrageous behaviour grin

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Feb-23 14:36:44

In the UK, the law on copyright provides that the author of the work (the photographer) is the owner of a picture they have taken (s11 Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988), unless they are an employee or there is some other agreement in place which affects ownership. For example, if the photographer has signed an agreement which transfers the ownership of the photo to a third party.

Oreo Tue 07-Feb-23 14:34:43

Doodledog if only you’d removed the copies of The Joy Of Sex and Fifty Shades Of Grey😄

Judy54 Tue 07-Feb-23 14:27:58

Yes I would be annoyed too, they definitely should have asked for permission. Many years ago I was in the Hairdresser's and a young Lady was going around with a camera taking photos for an upcoming convention. She was snapping away and said to me "You don't mind do you" Yes I said as a matter of fact I do. It was not even an after picture there I was sitting with a load of tinfoil in my hair having highlights done. Not a pretty sight!

Yammy Tue 07-Feb-23 14:18:47

Doodledog

You should send that story to Sally Wainwright grin. she could write an excellent comedy around it.

Looking back we laugh, but it was a hell of a day. When I got to the chapel I said to my bridesmaid I can't remember putting my pants on. She said let's hope the wind doesn't blow.
She wasn't laughing three years later when her taxi didn't turn up and we thought it was going to be an action replay. We still laugh together about it all. It would make a good comedy.

Iam64 Tue 07-Feb-23 13:02:41

Late arrival here but I’m with the majority. They’d no right to photograph without permission, even less right to post on line.

Doodledog Tue 07-Feb-23 12:39:00

You should send that story to Sally Wainwright grin. she could write an excellent comedy around it.

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Feb-23 12:33:50

A day to remember!!

Funny how we remember the things that went wrong on these occasions, but as long as they're not serious and we can laugh about them afterwards.

Yammy Tue 07-Feb-23 12:04:51

Callistemon21

Oh dear!!

We look back and laugh now but after all the planning it was not funny at the time. We do not show our album and one DD found it and wanted to know where everyone was had we sneaked to chapel.
It was just one incidence of a very disastrous day, the hairdresser slept in, no taxi from the reception, half of the guests got caught in an Orange Lodge Parade and they were Catholic. DH forgot where we were staying and had to break into his parent's house to get the address, we nearly missed the train to Edinborough. Then it rained and DH put an umbrella up on the Royal Mile. MIL had stuffed it with confetti and his suite case and put a big cut-out letter poster saying "Exciting things happen in bed!!", not when you've had a bloody day as we had.
DH got her back by buying a present for her, a lady's razor as she had always borrowed his without permission. She was not amused.grin

Doodledog Tue 07-Feb-23 11:21:25

No, sorry - I didn't think you were saying that. It was the comparison to spending thousands on a court case that I was responding to grin.

tickingbird Tue 07-Feb-23 11:09:18

Doodledog. I’m not saying you or anyone else shouldn’t object, I’m merely saying I don’t get it. It wouldn’t bother me but it obviously bothers some.

biglouis Tue 07-Feb-23 10:57:49

I would be quite angry about this and would insist that the photos be removed. Otherwise I would threaten to post bad reviews about the company on all the main review sites as well as locally.

As other posters have remarked legitimate companies are up front and can offer substantial discounts if you are willing to allow this and/or for your name to be used as a reference.

Why should you do it for free? You are not an ad agency.

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Feb-23 10:53:02

Oh dear!!

Yammy Tue 07-Feb-23 10:51:07

Callistemon21

Yammy

I would have expected to be asked and then probably removed anything that identified me if I wanted to say yes. We were asked by the kitchen fitters if they could take before and after photos of a refit and decided no. I have also asked for photos to be removed from a photographer's window of a wedding when we had not been asked.
When selling a house we are asked and usually remove personal objects that would identify it but the address is there anyway.
They have not been professional.

A professional photographer will own the copyright to photographs so it is different to this case.
You may have been shown samples of other wedding photographs before deciding to choose that particular one.

He was a personal friend of the family and did not ask permission and don't laugh he confessed on our wedding day after everything was signed and sealed he did not have a film in his camera.!!!
We had to do all the chapel bit again. DH being just as he is now said loudly action replay without an audience, which lightened what had been a very tense situation.
The photographer then put photos in part of a local shop window without asking us most of which he had not taken himself, so I phoned him and told him as we were the joke of the small town I lived in to get them out. He obliged and was forever known as "the man with no film ".grin