Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBC and farming programs

(63 Posts)
Nanabanana1 Sun 19-Feb-23 18:26:53

Why do we get so many programs about farms and farming? Am I the only person who thinks it’s too much. Also animal programs and Antique programs.
No problem with them now and again but it seems to be the main content of BBC.
Thank goodness for the streaming channels.

MerylStreep Mon 20-Feb-23 10:40:17

I’ve watched all the Clarkson Farm episodes. Watched a couple last night. As well as pmsl 😂 there was a lovely piece where an environmentalist gave him high praise for his wild meadows.
He’s spent thousands putting up poles to house owl boxes.

Katie59 Mon 20-Feb-23 11:01:58

Redhead56

I prefer to watch a farming programme than a soap or quiz show any day.
Jeremy Clarksons farm does reveal problems the farming community faces. It does place emphasis on the problems he faces with the local town planners.
They block every proposal he puts forward it's not very professional more personal.

Clarkson caused himself a lot of problems, maybe deliberately for dramatic effect, planning regulations are a fact of life, and if you are sensible will not cause major problems. However, if you upset the local residents it can become very difficult, if locals oppose a project usually planners will refuse permission. Not so much of a problem for a large developer he will appeal, for a modest development it’s unaffordable.

If Clarkson wanted a Restaurant he has plenty of money, he should have bought a local pub and developed that, it’s a wealthy area and plenty of pubs have closed in recent years.
Maybe that will feature in the next series Clarkson pub catastrophes.

merlotgran Mon 20-Feb-23 13:46:36

If Clarkson wanted a Restaurant he has plenty of money, he should have bought a local pub and developed that, it’s a wealthy area and plenty of pubs have closed in recent years.

The purpose of Clarkson’s Farm is to highlight how farmers have to diversify if they are to survive. This usually means using the resources that you already have such as outbuildings.

Buying a pub would mean added costs costs in terms of management, business rates, security etc., and wouldn’t add any value to the farm.

Buying a separate business would distract from the aim of the programme.

Kim19 Mon 20-Feb-23 13:48:53

I rather enjoy them and find them very restful and informative viewing.

Forsythia Mon 20-Feb-23 14:01:44

I look forward to Sunday evenings with Countryfile and Antiques Roadshow. I record them if I know I won’t be able to watch.

I’m totally uninterested in Dancing on Ice, the Masked Singer, Love Island, Ant n Dec etc..

sodapop Mon 20-Feb-23 14:02:05

Like Kim19 I enjoy the farming programmes with the exception of Clarkson.
It's a change from the blood and gore of many drama programmes.

Nightsky2 Mon 20-Feb-23 14:19:17

NotSpaghetti

merlotgran

Jeremy Clarkson latest series on Prime tells it like it really is

Yes and so did the first series.

My (farming) friend was encouraging me to watch this only yesterday. They found it hilarious as well as true.
I think I should probably give it a go now.
smile

You should, it’s an excellent programme.

Katie59 Mon 20-Feb-23 23:20:37

merlotgran

^If Clarkson wanted a Restaurant he has plenty of money, he should have bought a local pub and developed that, it’s a wealthy area and plenty of pubs have closed in recent years.^

The purpose of Clarkson’s Farm is to highlight how farmers have to diversify if they are to survive. This usually means using the resources that you already have such as outbuildings.

Buying a pub would mean added costs costs in terms of management, business rates, security etc., and wouldn’t add any value to the farm.

Buying a separate business would distract from the aim of the programme.

Converting farm buildings - ie “sheep shed” is probably just as expensive as building new because sheep sheds don’t met the structural standards that commercial buildings do, also all the facilities and services are still needed. The management, rates and overheads have still to be paid.

Building Regulations today would make refurbishing an existing pub look very cheap, unless it was listed of course, then all bets are off.

Katie59 Tue 21-Feb-23 20:30:27

Yesterday I didnt know that Clarkson had already bought a pub, it was reported about 6 months ago, wether it went ahead I don’t know. It was in my mind a logical next step in the Clarkson Saga because running a pub is a nightmare, we will see, the location of the pub has not been disclosed.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 21-Feb-23 20:36:32

Katie59

Yesterday I didnt know that Clarkson had already bought a pub, it was reported about 6 months ago, wether it went ahead I don’t know. It was in my mind a logical next step in the Clarkson Saga because running a pub is a nightmare, we will see, the location of the pub has not been disclosed.

Both of my parents were publicans, it is never a profession I aspired to.

A minefield of regulations, staff problems added into the mix awkward, rude and often drunk clientele along with rising energy costs, why does anyone goes into the hospitality trade?

(Disclaimer we still have friends and family in the profession and they frequently ask themselves why)

Katie59 Tue 21-Feb-23 21:28:59

Absolutely, although we have a very smart lady locally who has, bought and sold several pubs as going concerns and made a mint. Her husband is an Estate Agent, the kind you shake hands with then count your fingers afterwards.

M0nica Wed 22-Feb-23 07:54:46

Every other celebrity owns a pub. If you have a farm, you have ti diversify and a shop on restaurant on site is the obvious way ahead.

Daisymae Wed 22-Feb-23 09:01:50

I don't watch them. I think that they present a sunny upland, that is not the reality for most farmed animals, who then trot off happily to the slaughter house.

LadyGracie Wed 22-Feb-23 09:10:08

We’ve only just started watching JC, we’re thoroughly enjoying it. I can’t believe the hoops farmers have to jump through.

Witzend Wed 22-Feb-23 09:14:20

Callistemon21

Do I have to pay to see JC's programme?
I wasn't going to pay then decided I didn't want to see him anyway after you-know-what but I do like a good farming programme!

I felt the same, but did find it very funny - soon hooked!

Callistemon21 Wed 22-Feb-23 09:39:04

Witzend

Callistemon21

Do I have to pay to see JC's programme?
I wasn't going to pay then decided I didn't want to see him anyway after you-know-what but I do like a good farming programme!

I felt the same, but did find it very funny - soon hooked!

The problem is programmes are recommended by others and then they say "That's on Netflix btw"

Then there was Big Little Lies which I really wanted to see - that's on Sky!

Clarkson - oh, he's on Amazon.

🤔

foxie48 Wed 22-Feb-23 09:50:08

Totally against my principles to watch JC but glad I did, it's hilarious, sad at times and definitely gives the viewer an idea of how soul destroying running a farm can be. All my farmer friends watch it and the issues with planning are true to life. We have a shortage of housing in this area but farmer friend could get planning for a small barn conversion for a holiday let but not for his daughter and partner to live in and they can't afford to buy locally! We are over run with badgers here and several farms have had TB in their herd, it's truly heart breaking for them. We have bats of every kind yet to build a slightly bigger kitchen and put in a heat source pump our neighbour had to pay for a bat survey and stop work whilst an archeologist checked the footings.
We took out Amazon Prime for a free month and binge watched Clarkson's Farm, then cancelled the it.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Feb-23 09:55:07

I haven’t watched JC’s programme because we don’t have that channel, but I enjoy his weekly farming column in the Sunday Times. It’s very enlightening and I was surprised to find I liked him.

Katie59 Wed 22-Feb-23 10:23:02

Ecological and archeological costs of any project are ridiculous, everything from a barn conversion to HS2, add to that environmental demands and it increases costs greatly.

Grandma70s Tue 28-Feb-23 18:33:56

I rather like farming programmes. In the afternoons there is a programme called The Farmer’s Country Showdown, which shows gorgeous champion animals at county agricultural shows..

Norah Tue 28-Feb-23 18:42:28

Grandma70s

I rather like farming programmes. In the afternoons there is a programme called The Farmer’s Country Showdown, which shows gorgeous champion animals at county agricultural shows..

Me too, if I must watch anything, I love such shows.

MerylStreep Tue 28-Feb-23 18:53:47

Callistemon
Do a months free trail and watch the lot.
I know your sense of humour and you will laugh out loud. It’s very informative as well.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Feb-23 19:00:59

Yes, I will inform DH that's what's on the menu.

Anything but football, although tonight could be difficult ⚽️😀

M0nica Tue 28-Feb-23 19:49:08

Katie59 Why?

Katie59 Tue 28-Feb-23 19:54:22

M0nica

Katie59 Why?

It you’re refering to surveys etc they add a great deal to the cost of any project and don’t even think about the delays, even a straightforward project can take a year, if anything is listed add more.