Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think in 20 years we won't do it any more?

(61 Posts)
OldHag Sat 01-Apr-23 21:48:44

Bet that title got you all wondering!

What I'm thinking, is that in 20 years, possibly even sooner, people will have stopped talking to each other altogether? The reason I say this, is that in talking to my DD last night, she was telling me about a situation that had occurred between her and one of her adult children, which had made her really cross. She explained that the conversation had all taken place via text, and I tried as gently as I could, to suggest that perhaps, as has happened between myself and her, there had been a misunderstanding on one or both of their parts, and that maybe she would be better to call or FaceTime, so as to discuss the matter properly. She cut me down by saying 'Mother, no one phones anyone these days, all communication is done by text, I bet even you don't phone people any more?' I admitted that she's partly right, in as much as I do tend to email more than text, due to us living in an area where the mobile signal is poor, but the reason I email is because in the days of landlines, you never knew if you were going to catch someone in the middle of something, ie, a bath, cooking dinner, or even having sex. So nowadays if it's something related to business, or just a relatively unimportant thing, I email so that I know the person I want to talk to, will get the message at their convenience. However, if it's a friend, I will often email in order to arrange a good time to have a chat, either by phone, FaceTime or Messenger.

Tonight I've been on MN, and someone was saying they'd made arrangements to have friends round, but was worried that they weren't going to come, as she hadn't pinned down a time when making the arrangements, and they hadn't responded to her texts. Lots of people were saying just call them, but when I said I felt that people just don't seem to want to actually speak to each other any more, again I was told that if someone doesn't answer your text, it's because they don't want to, and they're busy making an excuse to let you down, so you don't call them due to pride!!

I'm sure most of us have also seen couples, or even complete families out in restaurants, not actually talking to each other any more, but all with their eyes glued to their phones, and I wouldn’t doubt that if asked, a lot of parents would say that they would have to surgically amputate, to get a phone off of their kids.

So, having explained the reason for my question, I'm just wondering how many of you still prefer to talk to friends, either by phone or video call, or whether these younger people are right, and that no one actually talks to anyone any more, and, if you agree that this is true, do you think that it’s a good thing? Personally, I hate it, but maybe I am as old fashioned as my daughter told me I was!!

M0nica Mon 10-Apr-23 10:39:28

I agree rtexting is very useful. I just wish I found it easier to do.

biglouis Sat 08-Apr-23 23:48:05

Texting does have its uses. The person who cleans for me has such a strong Scottish accent that I find them difficult to understand on the phone so we tend to just text. Still I much prefer email.

M0nica Sat 08-Apr-23 15:20:41

I am another who cannot get on with a tiny screen. I have numb fingertips on my right hand and I have dyspraxia, which means, as anyone who reads my posts on GN knows that my fingers do not do what my brain tells them to do and 123, even if I say it as I type will be entered as 312.

Norah Sat 08-Apr-23 13:47:44

biglouis I find texting a very akward and restricting way to communicate. Typing on that weeny little screen when I have a whole tribe of computers with perfectly good keyboards.

I don't have a mobile, but I see my daughters text, indeed it looks so difficult and restricting. I love my computer, can do any task.

biglouis Sat 08-Apr-23 09:21:47

Ive always enjoyed talking on the phone. I can ring someone, get another person (because the object of my call is out) and still be talking 20 minutes later!

My grandmother used to say I was "vaccinated with a gramophone needle" although most people nowadays would not know what that meant.

During the first lockdown I wanted to contribute something to the community so I volunteered to speak to some "phone friends" regularly each week. Some conversations were brief - just to check in case they needed anything. Others I got to know quite well and we discussed a range of subjects.

I find texting a very akward and restricting way to communicate. Typing on that weeny little screen when I have a whole tribe of computers with perfectly good keyboards.

M0nica Tue 04-Apr-23 09:36:07

Twenty years from now the world will belong to those who are fluent and good communicators. It always has and always will.

Perhaps more parents should relise that, and start talking themselves and make their children communicate face to face using their mouths as well.

Sara1954 Tue 04-Apr-23 07:22:55

Shopping with my granddaughter at the weekend, we were looking for a shop she wanted to go into. But despite wandering around for ages failed to find it.
I said I’d go and ask someone, she seemed horrified by this suggestion, and insist we google it, and follow online instructions.
It was a good idea, but what was strange was her horror of us interacting with a stranger, when it seemed the obvious answer to me.

nanna8 Mon 03-Apr-23 23:50:18

It used to be considered extremely rude to use your phone when out in restaurants or at a meal with friends. That idea seems to have gone out the window,now. Anything goes. I still think it is rude.

Saggi Mon 03-Apr-23 23:26:11

When I have my family to dinner …not often , I tell them “ no mobiles at table, if you can’t leave it alone …you dont eat! “
Also my daughter twlks her two kids 15 and 11 leave all devices downstairs when they go to bed….they’ve been doing g it since they first had devices at age ten …they’re now used to it, and leave them on charge , downstairs , without being asked! I’m impressed. And to add they don’t even have a tv… as it’s total rubbish . A lot of talking to each other goes on in her house . You just have to lay the ground rules at an early age!

Romola Mon 03-Apr-23 23:23:17

Bravissimo Nanadana

Coffeenut Mon 03-Apr-23 19:43:44

I do not have a mobile phone. My landline phone will not do text. So if people want to speak to me they phone. Except for my sister who emails me.
I have had young people ask how I contact people, they are amazed that I can live and survive without a mobile phone. I spent the first 30 years of my life with no phone of any kind.

Sasta Mon 03-Apr-23 18:11:35

That’s brilliant NanaDana. And very true.

4allweknow Mon 03-Apr-23 17:44:47

It's hortible to see. Daily I see adults out with a baby sitting in a pushchair being totally ignored whilst the adult is reading or doing whatever on the phone. Even folk out with a dog have their phones in front of them just trailing along with the dog. The worst I witnessed was in a playcentre. Two adults sitting at a table, two children kept running back to the table excited to tell the adults about what ever they had been doing and the adults never raised their head to look at the children never mind speak. I didn't see their lips move once. The two children just stood then ran off. Felt so sorry or the two wee girls.

Bijou Mon 03-Apr-23 16:42:34

I remember the days when few people owned phones and wrote letters.
I haven’t got a mobile phone and rarely use my landline. I have a few friends left and we do have long telephone conversations.
I use messenger a lot.

AGAA4 Mon 03-Apr-23 16:12:11

Any form of communication is better than none. I do chat to people on my walk and neighbours.
I am glad that my ACs text or phone me regularly and I still have long telephone conversations with my sister and friends but not as regularly.
I don't think conversation is dying out. If you heard my GCs in animated chat with their friends you would see that conversation is alive and kicking!

JudyBloom Mon 03-Apr-23 15:34:31

It will be much sooner than 20 years I think. Another sad sign of the times really, the trend not to talk and chat face to face. People seem to be scared of it cos they lose control of a 'conversation' I guess.

singingnutty Mon 03-Apr-23 14:45:16

DH doesn’t do texting so if he has his phone on silent it can be difficult to tell him something urgent when he’s out. We have family WhatsApp groups though and he seems to like those.

enabenn Mon 03-Apr-23 13:55:38

This is all too much. I phone my two sisters once a week and meet up with a coffee group once a week. I also volunteer for the NT. We get lots of people every week from every walk of life and they are all ready to chat. I must admit my daughter doesn't phone and we send emails. My son who is younger loves to come and see us and we have lively debates on different topics.

silvercollie Mon 03-Apr-23 13:28:07

And perish the thought that you might pop round to see someone, just on the off-chance!!
Like we used to do.
And we live in an age of so-called progress. I think not.
If this texting malarkey in order to have a phone conversation is the new order then I am not joining it!
If a phone call is inconvenient then say so.
Whatever is the matter with people?

grandtanteJE65 Mon 03-Apr-23 13:10:29

Well, what people do or do not do in twenty years time, may very well turn out not to be my concern, as I am 71 now.

I have always disliked phoning people and greatly prefer e-mailing where I can type using all my fingers on both hands, and select a font that is large enough to enable me to see it readily - both difficult to do on a so-called smart phone.

To be honest, I think all this texting is a fad, as is the fact that people are so busy with their online friends as not to have time for seeing others in real life, and that like other fads and fashions, it will die out to some extent again,

Maybe not in our lifetimes though.

Grandma2002 Mon 03-Apr-23 12:29:31

Congratulations NanaDana on encapsulating everything I would want to say in a poem!!
HousePlant Queen, I too text to say would you like a chat? There is nothing worse than being in the middle of complex recipe or dying to go to the loo when the phone rings. So text first and await instructions!

win Mon 03-Apr-23 12:08:06

I was brought up to understand the telephone was for emergency and quick messages only. I only use the phone for that. I meet friends face to face and chat I also support a large group face to face. The rest of the time I email friends and text my partner (we live apart) when we are apart. I am hard of hearing and do not cope on the landline anyway. Speaker on mobile is fine. It works well for me.

Charly Mon 03-Apr-23 11:58:20

I have profoundly disliked using the phone for as long as I can remember but although very glad to have so many online alternatives (via text in some context or another) I know my standard of conversation has lowered somewhat, all the more so since lockdown(s).

Good thread. It’s certainly something I think about often.

Juicylucy Mon 03-Apr-23 11:54:09

I’ll call my DDs and they call me, there in there late 40s , however GDs I text as they’ve always got phones in there hands. Men in our family much prefer to call and they are all ages. But I do feel it’s a generational thing.

Foxygloves Mon 03-Apr-23 11:52:18

I know this was meant to catch the eye - and it succeeded OP!
My initial reaction was “Too right” !
But more seriously, things we took for granted, landlines, phone calls where nobody can see you are still in your pj’s or just out of the shower shock ,writing and getting letters and cards, postcards from holidays, people on walks with their dogs actually enjoying the countryside (or talking to the dog), a simple Good Morning when you pass someone you vaguely recognise, thank you’s, “Can I help you” in JL instead of “Y’ll right there?”
Oh dear, I’m turning into my granny.