Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fed up with squirty sauce bottles

(44 Posts)
Diggingdoris Mon 22-May-23 11:26:55

How many of you are fed up with the squeezy bottles where the sauce doesn't come out straight? Recently I have had tomato/brown sauce shoot up the tiles of worktop, all over the clean jumper I had on, and lastly (but quite funny) across the table onto my husbands plate! Am I doing something wrong? Next time I get one that squirts downwards I shall save the lid when it's empty, and swap it over.

Ali08 Thu 25-May-23 02:12:19

MaizieD

They annoy me because they stop being easy to squirt from when they are only about one third full. You end up throwing some sauce away because it won't come out. I don't like waste.

So we just don't buy them, apart from tomato ketchup for my OH's addiction to the yukky stuff. It doesn't seem to come in glass bottles any more.

Remove the lid and scoop it out with a knife or a spoon. Or cut off some of the bottle and put foil or clingfilm around it to save the remainder.

Cocoacton Wed 24-May-23 19:45:05

I love squeezy bottles! Losing the use of one hand since a stroke, it has given me hope. I can flick the hinged top and squeeze all in one movement . Rather than holding the bottle between my knees to open and shake the contents out, then hold between my knees to close it again.😊

Caleo Wed 24-May-23 19:19:12

You get better control of the squirting when you have replaced the air in the bottle after you squirt. I.e. leave the top off and squeeze the empty inches of the bottle until it sucks in some air.

Quichette Wed 24-May-23 19:12:41

Foxygloves

Don’t use them.

Glass bottles or jars, wash out and recycle.

Same here. I only buy hand cream or lotion in solid blocks in a metal tin or in aluminium tubes (Pre de Provence). I have even found a company now that sells non prescription medication in glass bottles with refills in paper bags. I use reuseable silicone storage bags in place of plastic. Far from perfect but I am trying to avoid plastic when possible.

mabon1 Wed 24-May-23 17:26:08

Oh for goodness sake if that's all you have to go on about, lucky you, get a grip

mabon1 Wed 24-May-23 17:25:03

quite right too.

Diggingdoris Wed 24-May-23 16:24:14

I do store them top side down, and wash the lid regularly, but they still have a mind of their own.
I do get every drop out with a bit of vinegar, or swish some water in them and pour it in a casserole/gravy.

Froglady Wed 24-May-23 16:01:55

Diggingdoris

How many of you are fed up with the squeezy bottles where the sauce doesn't come out straight? Recently I have had tomato/brown sauce shoot up the tiles of worktop, all over the clean jumper I had on, and lastly (but quite funny) across the table onto my husbands plate! Am I doing something wrong? Next time I get one that squirts downwards I shall save the lid when it's empty, and swap it over.

I bought a cheap squeezy bottle of tomato sauce and when I squeezed it, it went everywhere - all over the worktop, down my jumper, up the wall, over the toaster, over the hob.
Needless to say I haven't bought a cheap bottle again.

4allweknow Wed 24-May-23 15:59:12

The mayonnaise bottle seems the worst to me. As others have experienced about a quarter of the stuff is stuck in the bottle even when stiring top down and thumping to get it all down to the squirty end. I have cut the end off with a sharp carving knife in desperation on occasion. PS. I have recently seen ketchup in a glass bottle albeit a small size.

Auntieflo Wed 24-May-23 15:55:21

We had a hot dog roll for lunch recently and DH likes ketchup and mustard with his. I didn't realise that the little hole in the squirty top had closed up, until I squeezed with vigour and the ketchup landed neatly in the butter dish.

Hetty58 Wed 24-May-23 15:26:22

I don't like them but so many things are just in them - with no other option. I unscrew the top instead of using the 'squirter' thingy and I often cut bottles open to use that last bit.

Bijou Wed 24-May-23 15:17:47

I don’t buy squeeze bottles. However why are we advised to refrigerate sauces pickles and jams and use by date. I thought the idea of pickling was to preserve. After all they were around before fridges.
Plastic tubes I have to put a peg on because they won’t roll up. Then to get the last bit out I cut off the top.

FannyD Wed 24-May-23 13:48:16

You can still buy HP sauce and Heinz tomato ketchup in glass bottles, although not in a range of sizes. I get both from Sainsbury’s. I hate plastic bottles for - well, just being plastic!

Foxygloves Wed 24-May-23 13:39:32

Don’t use them.

Glass bottles or jars, wash out and recycle.

bear1 Wed 24-May-23 13:34:40

seems to me that both the tomato and salad cream belonging to a certain company have got more and more watery i have given up and now buy the cheaper thicker brand from a well known supermarket

Saggi Wed 24-May-23 12:57:13

Been doing the balsamic vinegar thingy for years … add it everything to get last scraps out.

cc Wed 24-May-23 12:47:23

They have a narrowed neck where they go into the cap, if they just had a slope the sauce wouldn't get stuck there. I have to use my finger to get the last bit out, there's no other way!

I have a problem with the runny honey that jams when it crystalises, even if you warm it. And the chocolate spread, there's always a lot in the bottle which is too thick to come off the sides. But my grandchildren love writing their initials on the toast in chocolate at breakfast time.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 24-May-23 12:17:26

If you turn the bottle upside down when you put it away, the problem with getting the sauce out once the bottle is only half-full resolves itself.

I have never had a problem with plastic containers squirting in the wrong direction, so don't know if standing them upside down prevents this.

RakshaMK Wed 24-May-23 12:12:45

I like them, but when they stop squirting, I use a small long handled silicone spoon (from Lakeland I think) to get the rest out.

25Avalon Wed 24-May-23 12:01:19

If you unscrew the top you can get into the bottle and use a knife or spoon to get the last of the sauce out.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 24-May-23 11:54:58

I find adding a little vinegar to brown/tomato sauce works. Lemon juice for mayo.

jane1956 Wed 24-May-23 11:40:22

maddyone

I agree. You can never empty them completely either. I prefer glass bottles with a wide neck so you can get all the product out. I’m thinking of the mayonnaise jars, but even mayonnaise comes in those dratted squeezy bottles now.

I find them as easy as glass, I always start second bottle then tip first one into second (when there is space) so I do empty them all and do not throw anything away.

knspol Wed 24-May-23 11:13:37

Love the squeezy bottles, find them so much easier than trying to get sauce or whatever out of old style bottles. Presently kicking myself for ordering mayo on line and forgetting to tick the 'no substitution' box and ending up with a non-squeezy bottle.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 23-May-23 10:51:08

Same problem here. Looking at your posts I have just ordered a non squeezy tomato sauce from Sainsburys.

NotSpaghetti Tue 23-May-23 00:41:27

I love this ketchup- in its glass bottle.