Gransnet forums

AIBU

Vaping around newborn

(19 Posts)
Giddyup210 Sun 26-Nov-23 21:14:07

Daughter and boyfriend had baby two weeks ago. They vape in room around baby. Midwife has said this is treated as smoking. They are to vape outside and change clothes when the come in. They don’t.
Baby is in bouncer by their feet and they vape around him saying it won’t touch him. Denial.
I am concerned.
Any advice most welcome.

aggie Sun 26-Nov-23 21:17:39

Has your Daughter ever listened to anything you say ? Why do you think you can convince her more than the professionals ?

M0nica Sun 26-Nov-23 21:29:30

All you can do is when the baby develops asthma to look at them and say 'I told you so'. Bleak and cynical response I know,

But when young parents will not listen to the midwife and medical authorities, they certainly aren't going to listen to their parents.

Redhead56 Sun 26-Nov-23 21:47:41

They won’t listen clearly but they would get a blast from me if it was my family but it isn’t. Only you know how to talk sense into your daughter and her boyfriend.

Maybe if their baby coughs in the night and keeps them awake they might realise the error of their ways.

Georgesgran Sun 26-Nov-23 21:54:28

I’m not sure a two week old should be in a bouncer either?

Georgesgran Sun 26-Nov-23 21:59:05

Posted too soon ….. and the baby - two weeks old - is on the floor, at their feet??
Sorry, but he doesn’t sound as precious to them as he should be?

BlueBelle Sun 26-Nov-23 22:00:44

Basically sounds like a joke post

Bellanonna Sun 26-Nov-23 22:39:06

Yes, the bouncer bit doesn’t ring true. A two-week old is tiny.
If it’s a joke it’s certainly lacking in humour.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Nov-23 22:47:04

It sounds like neglect verging on abuse.
Ring Social Services.

nanna8 Mon 27-Nov-23 05:40:47

When I was pregnant with one of my children I had to go to hospital for bed rest. It was in the early 70s and one of the women in the shared ward would sit up in bed smoking constantly. It was allowed,then. I wasn’t happy breathing in her fumes but kept quiet, as you did in those days. Sad to say she lost her baby and I always wondered if the smokes contributed.

DrWatson Tue 28-Nov-23 13:49:47

For Giddy -- if they're too weak-willed to avoid smoking (even in vaping form) - there's little hope for them. Smoking killed my dad when he was 50, and I'm pretty sure his secondary smoke killed my mother (similar age). Luckily when I tried it as a teen, I didn't like it, and that was with smokers everywhere on TV and films.

The midwife is of course quite right, the accounts from USA are that vaping causes masses of problems, albeit rather different from fag smoke. However lots of folk here think vaping is an innocent harmless release. Personally I find the sickly stench quite disgusting.

I'd be another vote for Soc Services, I'm afraid, see if a visit wakes them up to the dangers?

BlueBelle Tue 28-Nov-23 13:52:57

As giddyup hasn’t returned I think this was a joke post

alastairlyon Tue 28-Nov-23 14:00:27

Now that they have a dependent family they clearly need to seriously increase their life insurance cover for all the obvious reasons - blah blah etc

Only one problem the life insurance companies agree with this midwife and will charge them extra because they will be treated as smokers

In plain english their life expectancy is the same as a tobacco smoker !

cc Tue 28-Nov-23 14:26:10

Georgesgran

Yes, I agree. A tiny baby has no strength in its legs. Perhaps it is one of those reclining bouncy chairs?

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Nov-23 15:26:35

BlueBelle

As giddyup hasn’t returned I think this was a joke post

It really wasn't very funny, though.

Abitshy Tue 28-Nov-23 17:09:04

Social services don't care. They said it was.ok for my son to still smoke pot when given custody of his baby daughter.
I don't agree!

Chardy Tue 28-Nov-23 17:18:07

cc

Georgesgran

Yes, I agree. A tiny baby has no strength in its legs. Perhaps it is one of those reclining bouncy chairs?

My thoughts exactly.
A young toddler in my extended family was hospitalised and given 24/7 oxygen for several days because of the behaviour of the adults around them.

silverlining48 Tue 28-Nov-23 17:58:32

Abiyshy are you sure that’s what social services said.
What exactly did they say, were you present?
If so they need reporting.

silverlining48 Tue 28-Nov-23 17:59:30

Sorry, Abitshy my tablet has a mind of its own.