Gransnet forums

AIBU

Locked room for breakables when grandkids stay?

(106 Posts)
JenniRen Sat 01-Aug-26 13:30:50

Either move things up above the child's level or pack the precious breakable away when they stay.
Unless you live in a mansion of course in which case lock the room.

nanna8 Sat 01-Aug-26 13:28:26

I must be lucky because none of our lot have broken anything much except the odd glass tumbler by mistake. My kids didn’t ,either. Don’t need to tell them.

eddiecat78 Sat 01-Aug-26 13:21:10

Looking to the future, you might need to rethink the location of your collection or you'll be a nervous wreck whenever the family visits!

eddiecat78 Sat 01-Aug-26 13:16:42

I suppose it depends how big your house is, and if closing off one room is going to make the rest of the house crowded.
We have a large collection of glass and, touch wood, we haven't had any breakages as the grandchildren were taught not to touch. We don't allow indoor ball games either.

kittylester Sat 01-Aug-26 13:08:40

Not that.

If the 3 year old breaks something of sentimental value I would need it and it would be part of our family history.

Like the time 7 year old (play) wrestled his pa to the floor and hurt his wrist. It's families.

Karenmfred Sat 01-Aug-26 13:04:45

My son, his wife and kids (three year old and two babies) are coming to stay for a week or so while their house is being decorated. I'm looking forward to them staying but in one room I've got lots of breakable items that have great sentimental value. I want to put a temporary lock on the door to this room to stop the three year old going in. My husband is against this as he says he doesn't want the house to be like a prison. I'd obviously explain why I want to do this with my son and DIL first. But what have other grans done?