Gransnet forums

AIBU

Beggar on the bus

(39 Posts)
honeyrose Sat 08-Aug-26 15:29:30

Earlier today, as the bus stood in the bus station almost ready to move off (on which I was a passenger), a young man got on and approached all the passengers in turn (making full eye contact) asking for £1. He was ignored by everyone until someone asked why he needed the money. He said it was to get him to a town 40 miles away and to buy water (not that £1 would go far) and said he wasn’t doing anything “wrong” with the money. Eventually someone gave him £1. I was very tempted to give him £1 myself, to get rid of him, but I genuinely had no cash, although I didn’t tell him that. My husband had cash, I’m sure, but didn’t offer it. I was quite frightened in case he produced a gun or a knife and I was rooted to the spot, but tried not to display my fear. The beggar (for want of a better word) looked clean, nourished and tidy and had swept by the bus driver, ignoring the driver asking for him to pay his fare. Thankfully he got off the bus after a “kind soul” gave him £1. What would you have done? It was a very disquietening experience. Was I being too suspicious? You hear of such dreadful things these days.

JenniRen Tue 11-Aug-26 21:27:20

I remember the days of bus conductors, perhaps we need to bring them back.

Calendargirl Tue 11-Aug-26 21:14:35

It is explained in the first post that he had ‘swept past the driver’

So?

We may as well all ‘sweep past the driver’ then, and no one need bother paying for a ticket!

The driver should have ordered him off the bus, not easy I know, but if things like this happen and they just get away with it…..

PamelaJ1 Tue 11-Aug-26 16:35:47

Sitting having a coffee whilst waiting for a train at Kings Cross I was approached by 4 beggars. Not all at once but I had made the mistake of giving a couple of pounds to the first one.
I was on my own and felt quite uncomfortable so took the coffee and went and stood by the gate near a member of staff.
It’s a shame we can’t buy tokens that could be exchanged for what was needed. Not drugs obviously!

Daddima Tue 11-Aug-26 16:26:51

Tworedroses

Calendargirl

He shouldn’t have been on the bus in the first place, if he hadn’t paid the driver!

And I would have said no.

Completely agree.

It is explained in the first post that he had ‘swept past the driver’.

I would have given him £1 if I had one in my pocket.
I once gave money to a young man who told me he wanted it to buy a bottle of wine, because he was going to spend the night in a homeless hostel, and needed to be ‘ off his face’ to get through the night!

honeyrose Tue 11-Aug-26 16:08:31

I was a bit spooked by the incident - I thought of an old Clint Eastwood film where a bus full of passengers (children on a school bus?) was hijacked and I briefly wondered if the same thing would happen. My vivid imagination at play there! I don’t give to beggars, as they may not be genuine. I didn’t like the way the beggar eyeballed everyone individually - quite threatening, although he went off on his way once someone gave him £1.

SueDonim Sun 09-Aug-26 12:55:40

There’s a youngish bloke who begs at a local retail park, he’s been a regular for several years. He begs because it’s easier than working, he told me, and he flies back and forth to Macedonia, where he’s from, for holidays to see his family. His family seems to increase by a new baby each year - I think he’s up to four or five now, I forget quite how many. I bet he doesn’t pay tax on his earnings, either. 🤦‍♀️

CatCrone Sun 09-Aug-26 11:49:46

I find telling anyone who asks me to set up a direct debit or card payment that my son has Power of Attorney over my finances halts the conversation immediately!

Witzend Sun 09-Aug-26 11:13:18

Years ago there used to be a ‘homeless’ man always sitting outside our local M&S with his dog, asking for money. Now and then I’d give him something.

It had been going on for a few years before a journalist on the local paper revealed that in fact he had his own flat, owned, not rented, and plenty of ‘mugs’ money’ in the bank.

Since then I give only to the Sally Army, Crisis, and St Mungo’s.

There was also the case of a dd who bought a Big Mac for a man sitting on the street on a cold winter’s night in central London, with a ‘ Homeless and Hungry’ placard.

He told her to fuck off, he wanted money.

JenniRen Sun 09-Aug-26 11:06:15

Giving to charities to help homeless people and those with drug addiction is quite different from giving cash to strangers who are begging. They will almost certainly spend it on drugs and I don't want to be party to their addiction.

Basgetti Sun 09-Aug-26 11:03:54

A woman sits outside of Home Bargains here. She doesn’t ask for money but food, to feed her children. Chooses fruit, milk, cheese and I believe she’s completely genuine. I always help when I can.
Would certainly give £1 to the man in OP. I’m baffled by the suggestion that we should ignore the person and look out of the window. Why is it ok to be rude to people just because they’re down on their luck?

Boz Sun 09-Aug-26 10:52:10

Ah the power of a child beggar.
May I recommend a novel by Lissa Evans - Crooked Heart - set in 1940 an unwanted little lad is evacuated and sets up a chugging business with his savvy 'mother'. Good read. Check it out on Amazon.

NotSpaghetti Sun 09-Aug-26 10:00:55

Oldnproud I have been doing this since the early 90s when I first worked with homeless people.

These days I see only two people locally - one a lovely man who isn't actually homeless now - in supported housing - and the other an older woman - generally outside Tesco as she gets "moved on" if in town (by a private security company). I always chat to her, and at Tesco will buy her something she fancies. I know the story of her life and family now.

If I go into a city I do revert to coins in my pocket though.

activerelaxer Sun 09-Aug-26 09:50:35

Shel1951

A while back I was in a conference in Dublin, at the break I took a wander and was approached by a young man tidying dressed who asked for a few euros, I asked him the reason and he said he had locked himself out of his car by leaving the keys etc in the car and shut the door, he needed to get the luas(tram) home to get the spare key, of course I gave him the fare, and I would have given that young man a pound or two , I have 2 young sons and would hate if no one helped them in time of need,

A very common scam in my city, I used to pass one of the beggars’ favourite spots on my commute and was asked about once a fortnight.
They usually wanted bus fare to places I would consider to be walking distance if I was in a similar situation.

HelterSkelter1 Sun 09-Aug-26 09:44:57

There used to be beggars actually on the underground trains walking along the carriage bringing their children to hold the bowl for money. TFL seem to have stopped that. I am talking about a while back.
I agree with PP. Without paying he should not have even been on the bus. The driver should have ordered him off. Quite frightening for you OP in an enclosed space where you couldnt just walk on.

Tworedroses Sun 09-Aug-26 07:38:11

Calendargirl

He shouldn’t have been on the bus in the first place, if he hadn’t paid the driver!

And I would have said no.

Completely agree.

eazybee Sun 09-Aug-26 07:37:28

The Bus driver should have ordered him off the bus; he was putting passengers at risk, at least making them fear for their safety. He should have phoned for back up.

Calendargirl Sun 09-Aug-26 07:14:18

He shouldn’t have been on the bus in the first place, if he hadn’t paid the driver!

And I would have said no.

Bellanonna Sat 08-Aug-26 20:30:10

I never engage with chuggers. I had one knock at the door last week and before he had a chance to speak I told him I wasn’t interested. I did, however, offer him a bottle of water,
which he gladly accepted, given that it was a very hot day.

In my local town I have offered to buy sandwiches and drinks for rough sleepers and I give money to the street musicians as they are quite talented and lovely to listen to.

Dickens Sat 08-Aug-26 20:16:28

Boz

I am always running the gauntlet of charity muggers sitting just outside Shop doors. I sweep past because I never have coins on me and if you explain this to them, they say they accept card payments. Consequently, I get the dead eye.
The point is you really shouldn't ask for money these days, as many do not carry cash and there is real fear from being accosted for money.

... they say they accept card payments.

Of course they do. And they think you're likely to get out your bank card to give them the details for a £1 donation? We know they want you to sign up to a regular commitment.

I realise charities are suffering - but apart from the fact that the cost-of-living is squeezing many people's purses - it could also be due to the fact that their methods simply get people's backs up.

I've even had these muggers at my door - during dinner... told them I don't make financial decisions on the spot, and certainly not on the doorstep whilst my dinner is being put back in the oven to keep warm.

I also understand charities cannot be run as they were in the 'old' days, but these chuggers get paid by commercial agents who are paid by the charities. I'm not signing up to pay their wages - why don't they, in the spirit of 'charity' - do it voluntarily?

To those who might suggest this isn't workable - well, the commoditisation model isn't working very well either!

"The point is you really shouldn't ask for money these days, as many do not carry cash and there is real fear from being accosted for money."

I agree Boz. Afraid they'll have to stick to the method that we're all encouraged to use for financial transactions these days - online.

That gives an opportunity for creativity, too. And - there are web-designers who will work for free - I know that because a friend found one when he was setting up his business, and there are talented-people who can do this on an amateur-basis, also.

Anyway, if you've read this far, thanks for allowing me to witter on about one of my 'pet hates'. grin

JenniferEccles Sat 08-Aug-26 19:36:50

Although of course there are genuinely homeless people, a lot of beggars are not.

It’s big business these days.
Certain ‘patches’ especially in up market or tourist areas, are hotly contested as they provide a very lucrative income from naive but well meaning people.

A few years ago a newspaper journalist spent the day in Windsor talking to taxi drivers who revealed that the ‘homeless’
hailed taxis to drive them home at the end of a very profitable day.

merlotgran Sat 08-Aug-26 18:57:02

I think you have to weigh up each situation according to the circumstances. If I thought there might be the slightest threat I would give him the £1 likewise if I felt there was a genuine need but
I wouldn’t hesitate to say I don’t carry cash if I felt I was being taken advantage of.

SueDonim Sat 08-Aug-26 18:49:20

My sister gave money to a man who said he needed a pound for something or other. She gave him what he asked for then next thing she knew, she was surrounded by five or six men all demanding money off her and complaining that she wasn’t treating them fairly. My sister was a very timid person and she was terrified, poor soul.

Fallingstar Sat 08-Aug-26 18:46:33

I usually give a pound or two, though with homeless people in the street I do get them a sandwich and a drink if I can.
I also try to chat with them because they are human beings and usually like to be treated as such.
I often go by the saying ‘here by the grace of God go I.’
But am not a saint if I see someone shouting and acting up in the street, or looking a bit hostile, I give them a wide berth.

JenniferEccles Sat 08-Aug-26 18:32:47

I would have turned away, looked out of the window, keeping a very firm grip on my bag on my lap.

I wouldn’t have given him any money, even if I had change on me which is unlikely.

I would have expected most of the other bus passengers to have reacted in the same way, but by comments on here, it seems not!

HelterSkelter1 Sat 08-Aug-26 18:16:41

The charity chuggrs outside the super markets dont want money, they want you to sign up to a direct debit. I do 2 dds of my own choice already so won't do a third.

I wouldnt have given any money in your situation OP on a bus. Had everyone done so that would be £20 or 30 in 10 minutes. A good hourly rate. I expect he caught the next bus going back and did the same. Sorry but I wouldnt have believed him.

I dont usually carry cash, but have given a few £s to the Big Issue young woman in our town on a cold day for a hot drink. And put a coin in the hat of a busker on the underground...if they are good.