Gransnet forums

AIBU

Feel I am being used.

(77 Posts)
nanafish Mon 31-Aug-26 10:36:51

My partner has lived with me for about four years. We have had a relationship for over 35 years, I guess it was an affair initially but when my huspand died he remained at his flat, for another 2 years or so. After a mild heart attack and stent surgery, he lived with me, at this time he also gave up his job, too much stress etc. His mum was also getting old and needed more help. Basically we decided he would live with me, and rent out his flat to give him an income. we had always dreamed that one day we would live together, so I dont understand why I feel used. He pays me a little rent and we share food. He visits his mum every day and I guess I have a problem with that, she also calls day and night with 'issues' she may have. I feel he is able to tend to her every need because he doesnt work, and lives with me .. its all very convenient. He still calls his flat ;home; and all his bank and finances, passport etc are registered there. I feel once his mum goes and he inherits a wadge, he will head back home,.. he says he loves me and that wont happen, but I just feel I am being used. AIBU

Delila Mon 31-Aug-26 17:49:19

The background to nanafish’s relationship is really not relevant to her present request for advice. Now, in the present, she feels used, and she explains why.

I think she needs to be open with her partner about her feelings, her issues regarding his relationship with his mother, and her misgivings about their financial arrangements, to try to renegotiate between them a better way of staying together, if possible.

If these issues are ignored things between them may well deteriorate to a point of no return.

Nanafish, you’ve said you love company and don’t want to be alone, so it’s worth finding the courage to speak openly to your partner rather than continue as you are, harbouring resentment which may eventually destroy your relationship.

Cossy Mon 31-Aug-26 18:06:58

Delila

The background to nanafish’s relationship is really not relevant to her present request for advice. Now, in the present, she feels used, and she explains why.

I think she needs to be open with her partner about her feelings, her issues regarding his relationship with his mother, and her misgivings about their financial arrangements, to try to renegotiate between them a better way of staying together, if possible.

If these issues are ignored things between them may well deteriorate to a point of no return.

Nanafish, you’ve said you love company and don’t want to be alone, so it’s worth finding the courage to speak openly to your partner rather than continue as you are, harbouring resentment which may eventually destroy your relationship.

I’m no sure why you think how and when her relationship started has no bearing on her current situation?

Of course it does. Everything in the past has a bearing and an effect on where we find ourselves now.

Doodledog Mon 31-Aug-26 18:25:09

I'm not so sure, Cossy. People have a habit of wanting to see those they think have behaved badly get paid back in some way, but as I said upthread, we can't possibly know what others' full circumstances are, particularly when we are talking about the past. It's too easy to sit in judgement from behind a keyboard.

The OP asked us for advice about the fact that she feels she is being used by her partner, not opinions on whether she 'deserves' to feel bad for things she did in the past. What would the difference be if she had met this man after her husband had died? Her question would be the same, regardless of how and when they met.

Lathyrus3 Mon 31-Aug-26 18:34:39

Smileless2012

No wonder there are fewer private landlords now Lathyrus.

Im one of them Smileless.

When I saw the hoops my children would have to go through after I died to get possession of the house I used to let, I decided it was better to leave it empty.

If I could have gone on letting it on a fixed term contract I would have done, knowing they could get possession for probate when the contract ended.

But off the topic of the OPs problem really. Just a hurdle to be faced if she does want him to move out because he’ll be homeless.

Delila Mon 31-Aug-26 18:45:37

Things change over time, and there may be all sorts of reasons why they happened as they did in the past, which bear no relevance to our present.

Nanafish asks if she is unreasonable to feel as she does now, and I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable to feel as she does in the circumstances she describes now. I think any reasonable person, no matter the origin of their relationship, would share her feelings given the same situation.

Graphite Mon 31-Aug-26 19:06:19

I do think the three and half decade longevity of the relationship is relevant especially in the context of the further information OP gave at 13:26 today.

Living under the same roof simply isn’t the idyllic, romantic dream they once had when they were younger. Other people always got in the way one way or another, her children, her husband’s poor health, now his poor health and now his ageing mother.

Actually, I think it might be difficult for him to be sharing a home that OP shared with her late husband and children for over 30 years while prioritising them. He maybe does feel like a lodger rather than a 50:50 relationship.

Perhaps if he does inherit some money, they can start afresh by buying a new place. Or why not do it now subject to adhering to his tenants' rights.

Cossy Mon 31-Aug-26 19:06:35

Fair enough, Delila & Doodlebug

I consider myself chastised and I hope the OP manages to resolves her problem.

Doodledog Mon 31-Aug-26 19:18:46

I wasn't chastising, just disagreeing, as you did with me. That's ok, isn't it?

Cossy Mon 31-Aug-26 19:21:55

Doodledog

I wasn't chastising, just disagreeing, as you did with me. That's ok, isn't it?

Of course, it just felt a bit like a telling off flowers

Cossy Mon 31-Aug-26 19:22:51

I wasn’t sitting in judgement either

Doodledog Mon 31-Aug-26 19:36:13

Cossy

Doodledog

I wasn't chastising, just disagreeing, as you did with me. That's ok, isn't it?

Of course, it just felt a bit like a telling off flowers

It wasn't meant to be a telling off.

The judgement comment wasn't aimed at you in particular, although I can see how it might have looked that way - I meant that people (generic) do tend to assume that they would never do things that in particular circumstances they might, particularly when it comes to personal relationships, which can be complicated. I also think that if someone has caused hurt (and we don't know that this was the case) it doesn't mean that they have no right to feel hurt by others for the rest of their life.

Anyway, we disagree, but that's what happens in discussions. flowers

Cossy Mon 31-Aug-26 19:38:27

Doodledog it’s all good flowers

lovethepuppies Mon 31-Aug-26 23:15:59

In my experience, when I feel used, it's because there's some sort of imbalance in the relationship. Is he contributing fairly to the home and finances? Supporting you as you support him?

Also, since it started with an affair, the thing about affairs is that they are a bit sparkly because they don't involve the day to day boring stuff like paying bills, housework, caring for elderly parents, etc. You now have all those normal every day things, so maybe the shine has come off a bit?

Margs Tue 01-Sept-26 04:12:06

He's got things arranged nicely - wholely to his benefit.

Yes, you are being comprehensively used. Everyone around you appears to be getting what they want. And you?

You'll run yourself into the ground at this rate.........

Doodledog Tue 01-Sept-26 07:38:11

We don’t know what the OP is getting out of the relationship though. She’s said she likes the company, and that’s a huge thing, but there could be more to it than that.

I think the financial situation could be fairer, but only she can list the pros and cons of his staying or going. Often something that seems clear cut to observers is far from that to those involved. If my husband left, I would miss things that nobody else would even think about. It’s not just the obvious things that make a difference, is it?

Astitchintime Tue 01-Sept-26 07:52:52

nanafish

Thank you doodledog for your very astute answer. You are right it was never straight forward, I took the decision to stay with my huspand for the childrens sake, but as they got older and left home so my huspand got sicker. Dementia, he spent about 3 years in care... at this stage i looked after him more as a brother and as our children's dad. All your answers have made me realise that through all of this my now partner never asked me to marry or asked to move in with me or vice versa.
I think I am being used, although its a situation now that is hard to resolve... would I be sad if he went, selfishly yes, I love company and would be sad to be alone, Mentally and emotionally, I am sad because the man I thought loved me I feel is usingme. Thank you all

You have obviously built your present life around this man, it might be that any friends you did have made themselves absent because they didn’t agree with your living arrangements, or perhaps you had no close friends.
Seemingly, you have now recognised that he is, very conveniently for him, bunked up with you and is paying a pittance towards your household upkeep.
If he is not on the deeds to your proper you can ask him to bugger off and live with his mother whilst still allowing his tenant to live in the rental…..yes, you’ll be alone but you will be free of this scrounging FWB.

Harris27 Tue 01-Sept-26 13:42:26

Ithink the above comments are right. You reap what you sow.

RobertaDanversWalker Tue 01-Sept-26 13:45:28

Nanafish, yes you are being used. He is getting away lightly in regards to household expenses. If you split up because he won't contribute his fair share, then you don't need to be lonely or alone, you can always meet new people, make new friends etc. I think he is a selfish user.

knspol Tue 01-Sept-26 14:06:52

Forget the judgements about previous actions and settle the current problem.
Tell the man that you want him out, you feel used, you're no longer happy with the situation and you're not willing to carry on this way. Give him maybe 2 /3 mths notice and if he can't get back into his flat then he can either live with his mother or make other arrangements. If you have to, then you can always tell him you'll be changing the locks on a certain date. Problem solved.

Kats2 Tue 01-Sept-26 14:19:15

He doesn’t sound like a very nice man..does he ever offer to pay your grocery bill for instance - how about gas and electricity, and water bills.. Does he assume that the “little rent” he gives you covers all of these things …Also bearing in mind he’s getting rent from his flat.. is the amount he gets from his tenant, the same amount he pays you…if not he’s on a nice little earner as they say..

Kats2 Tue 01-Sept-26 14:25:59

Just wondering as you never mentioned it - do you still go out to work every day or are you living off your pension ..

Olivebranch Tue 01-Sept-26 14:44:14

Why not ask him to marry you? That tests his commitment and means you are entitled to half of his legacy from his mum. You also have company.
Failing that plan, either ask for more or ask him to leave. It sounds like he feels this is just a holding situation and he’s living ‘his best life’.

Kats2 Tue 01-Sept-26 14:46:52

You don't mention whether you are still working, if not does that mean you’re living off your pension and or your savings..You say he pays you a “little rent” but, does he pay you the same amount he’s getting from his tenant that he is renting his flat to…Also does he go halves with the bills e.g. gas, electricity, and water….How about the weekly food shop, do you pay all of that..I think if you sit down and see how many times you realise its a No he doesn't, that will give you your answer..And the fact he’s apparently never offered, I feel doesn't bode well for your future with him..
..

Kats2 Tue 01-Sept-26 14:48:33

Sorry my replies have doubled up, as I've just properly signed in.. and didn't the first time so assumed they wouldn't show up..

HazelBr Tue 01-Sept-26 15:01:23

Nurse with a purse