Gransnet forums

AIBU

Travelling by car

(15 Posts)
Glenfinnan Sun 13-Sept-26 13:59:10

For some reason I’ve started to get nervous on car journeys! I’m better if I’m driving but not so good as a passenger! Any tips please!!

Retread Sun 13-Sept-26 14:21:18

You're not alone! There was a whole thread on this recently, will try and find it 🙂

pably15 Sun 13-Sept-26 14:24:19

I'm the same, I never was like this when I was younger and didn't drive.

Greyduster Sun 13-Sept-26 14:50:39

I was always a worse passenger than I am a driver. I still don’t look forward to long car journeys, especially in cars where there is restricted leg room in then back, such as the one my SiL drives now.

valdali Sun 13-Sept-26 14:57:18

I love having someone to drive me. I used to prefer driver than passenger, but over the years I've got used to it.
I worry when I'm driving. My hearing's very bad & I know DH picks up on rattles & noises that I can't hear, anyone flashes their lights (not neccessarily at me) & I think something's hanging off my car.
Having said that I've just done a solo journey of 190 miles involving M25 that's entirely new to me & having done it without incident I'm feeling more confident.

I do love the train best though.

MayBee70 Sun 13-Sept-26 15:07:42

I learned to drive in a Morris 1000 Traveller and could never understand why people left braking so late; my foot would be going for the non existent brake yards before road junctions. This was along with having to dip the headlights with another pedal on the floor. It was quite a revelation to realise that other cars had such good brakes.

J52 Sun 13-Sept-26 15:28:00

MayBee70

I learned to drive in a Morris 1000 Traveller and could never understand why people left braking so late; my foot would be going for the non existent brake yards before road junctions. This was along with having to dip the headlights with another pedal on the floor. It was quite a revelation to realise that other cars had such good brakes.

I had a Moggy too, not a Woody though!
I couldn’t pass my test in it so got a Mr Bean colour Mini. It was like driving someone from the future.😂

In answer to the OP, I quite like driving still, it the other loony drivers I don’t like.

silverlining48 Sun 13-Sept-26 16:22:00

We still use our 69 year old MM. it’s amusing to see drivers facts aif we overtake.

silverlining48 Sun 13-Sept-26 16:22:31

Faces as we overtake

petra Sun 13-Sept-26 16:40:30

silverlining48

We still use our 69 year old MM. it’s amusing to see drivers facts aif we overtake.

I know that feeling. We have a split screen convertible
What the boy racers don’t know is what’s under the bonnet 😂
That’s why there are roll bars fitted.

Glenfinnan Sun 13-Sept-26 18:16:52

Thank you all! Good to know I’m not alone!

Romola Sun 13-Sept-26 18:27:29

Hmm.... it depends who's driving. Some of my friends and neighbours are all right, but some, I wouldn't go in a car with them again.

Anrol Mon 14-Sept-26 14:29:06

Bach rescue remedy.
Deep breathing.
Try not to look at where you are going, perhaps look out of the side window.
Any sweets with ginger in them.
Are you able to read, do a crossword, puzzle etc.

CarrotTop Mon 14-Sept-26 14:44:09

I didn't stop being afraid of car journeys until I learned to drive myself, and I still don't like being a passenger. I can never convince myself that the driver is intent on killing us both as horribly as possible. And being in the back where I can't see is simply out of the question.

CarrotTop Mon 14-Sept-26 14:44:57

Oops, "the driver ISN'T intent..."