Gransnet forums

AIBU

Self appointed Designer

(9 Posts)
LRavenscroft Sat 27-May-23 20:48:30

I belong to a craft group and we have been asked to display an advert for our craft group at a local exhibition. However, one member, Mrs Sparkle (not her real name), has decided to take it upon herself to design, make and submit her own entry on behalf of the group without consulting any other members as to possible design approval, changes or execution. The group leaders seem to think this is OK. Personally, I would have preferred to have a democratic vote and other members given the opportunity to also put their work forward for approval/vote. Am I being unreasonable? I have not said anything but do feel that it is a little unfair. Mrs Sparkle has featured before.

M0nica Sat 27-May-23 21:09:01

No, you are not being inreasonable, unless there was a general agreement in the group thta this person was by far and away the best person to do it and the group as a whole supported that decision.

Ether way it is a simpke courtesy for the final design to be submitted to the group for approval.

perhaps next time a decision like thisis looming you could say, even before Mrs Sparkle is mentioned, that you would like the next poster/ whatever to be a more collaborative effort. - and say itloudly and get others on your side.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 28-May-23 00:26:47

NYANBU, but as the other group leaders all agreed to Mrs Sparkle, there wasn’t much you could do about it.
Would you have to go to your own group leader and ask to vote? It would be a long process to do this.
I imagine the group leaders were pleased that someone offered to do it all.

NotSpaghetti Sun 28-May-23 01:20:48

I have been part of group exhibitions and have twice worked in collaboration with the other exhibitors to produce materialswe were all happy with. I have also been in a situation where the advertising materials and leaflet/brochure was thrust on me.

One collaboration was hard as all 5 of us are really quite picky. We had been working in different materials specifically towards this exhibition for a long time and were all heavily invested in it. In this case we designed a basic template/format for our personal statements (which we did separately) and then we collated the materials and photoshopped everyone's images into a cohesive whole. We had face-to face sessions over the computer and I did most of the printing liason and signage. Everything was signed off by everyone (even where a line break might happen in the display texts!) but the results were actually quite beautiful- much better than other shows I've been involved with to be honest.
It took, over a period of about a month, maybe 8 working days. You need to have time to set this aside from your "creative work". None of us do this for a living- maybe someone quicker at graphics/marketing could have sorted it in a day or two.

Regarding the advert for your craft group to display at someone's local exhibition, I can see that you want it to have all the right elements but I feel it is primarily an information item. It is presumably there to encourage people to contact you or to come along. I don't feel it's quite the same as the publicity for a curated showing of your best work.

I think I wouldn't be too concerned about it just now - but if you are having an exhibition in future I would want the literature and advertising around that to be "spot on". Maybe you could initiate a discussion about materials early-on if there is ever a show in future?

Esmay Sun 28-May-23 06:23:56

I've gone off joining any art /craft group or charity committee .
There always seems to be one domineering person who spoils it for everyone else .

They have to have their own way over everything and make what could be enjoyable boring and tedious .

Once we had a lady , who was an efficient treasurer but tried to enforce her opinions on every aspect of our charity work .

More recently , a wealthy lady with strong political opinions caused huge tensions in our craft group . And another, who has a history of depression shouted abuse and walked out regularly .

Unless these people leave of their own accord or are asked to leave by the group -I don't know what the answer is !

biglouis Tue 30-May-23 00:25:11

Perhaps the other people in the group did not wish to take on the task and were grateful to leave it to Mrs Sparkle. Sometimes people just like to sit back and are content to let someone else do the work or take the credit.

Ive never liked doing things in groups. I often find that I have done the lions share of the work and there are other people riding on my coat tails. It happens a lot in accademia and the corporate world.

We had a group task in my first degree at uni to organize a small survey. I was very experienced in some parts of the work (interviewing, questionnaire design, etc) but lacked skills in other aspects such as statistical manipulation. We agreed as a to submit a group report. This would have meant that everyone in the group would have access to contributions by the other members.

However at a later stage, when they had profited from my interviewing experience, the other group members all decided to do individual reports. This threw me under the bus because I lacked detailed knowledge of the statistical package. Fortunately the tutor organized an extra session for the statistical work. Only a few of us turned up but we got some one to one feedback and suggestions for the work.

The rest of the group had the raw data which had emerged from my interviews. However they did not have the actual qualitative experience of having stopped people in the city center or around campus and carried them out. Nor did they know which questions were more successful than others.

I was able to do a deep analysis which took me into a higher marking bracket than the rest of the group. If we had stuck to the original decision and done a group report then we would all have got the same mark. So in the end I profited from their selfishness.

LRavenscroft Tue 30-May-23 04:22:16

biglouis

Perhaps the other people in the group did not wish to take on the task and were grateful to leave it to Mrs Sparkle. Sometimes people just like to sit back and are content to let someone else do the work or take the credit.

Ive never liked doing things in groups. I often find that I have done the lions share of the work and there are other people riding on my coat tails. It happens a lot in accademia and the corporate world.

We had a group task in my first degree at uni to organize a small survey. I was very experienced in some parts of the work (interviewing, questionnaire design, etc) but lacked skills in other aspects such as statistical manipulation. We agreed as a to submit a group report. This would have meant that everyone in the group would have access to contributions by the other members.

However at a later stage, when they had profited from my interviewing experience, the other group members all decided to do individual reports. This threw me under the bus because I lacked detailed knowledge of the statistical package. Fortunately the tutor organized an extra session for the statistical work. Only a few of us turned up but we got some one to one feedback and suggestions for the work.

The rest of the group had the raw data which had emerged from my interviews. However they did not have the actual qualitative experience of having stopped people in the city center or around campus and carried them out. Nor did they know which questions were more successful than others.

I was able to do a deep analysis which took me into a higher marking bracket than the rest of the group. If we had stuck to the original decision and done a group report then we would all have got the same mark. So in the end I profited from their selfishness.

Very interesting to read your reply and I fully appreciate where you are coming from. Indeed, in the academic world it was a wise and profitable decision to make. Unfortunately, Mrs Sparkle is the subject of many of those 'behind her back' conversations in a village group where the other ladies seethe but don't say anything because we are all very polite stiff upper lip types. I have to hold my tongue because if I did say something it would be foul. She is a very good friend of the couple who run the group and when one member did challenge the husband about their cronyism, he became very defensive. However, at the next meeting I will ask for more inclusivity and transparency as we have 2 professional artists as part of the group who were not even approached about the design. Small village politics of a group of baby boomers. Hey! Ho!

biglouis Tue 30-May-23 23:38:19

Im glad I dont live in a small village as I would not be popular with my views (especially on gender roles). But I see where you are coming from.

Ive several times been in a group where I have spoken up and others have chimed in to say "well I dont want that either." But you need to pick your battles and make sure up front that you have one or two allies.

fancythat Wed 31-May-23 06:51:46

Your other members, including the group leaders are not strong enough against her. Happens frequently in group situations.
People talking behind her back is not the same as action.