Gransnet forums

Charities

International Women's Day

(13 Posts)
whenim64 Sat 09-Mar-13 09:06:38

Yes, made me smile, too - I rather like the idea of being an Awkward Old Trout grin

Butty Sat 09-Mar-13 08:33:06

I'm incline to agree with you, when, but it made me smile - pure Suzanne Moore.

whenim64 Sat 09-Mar-13 08:10:49

Thanks, Butty. I don't agree with her. I don't want a day off from feminism, not unless feminsm is no longer needed. hmm

Butty Sat 09-Mar-13 07:39:47

A sideways look at International Woman's Day - or "Awkward Old Trout Day"

here

grin

JessM Fri 08-Mar-13 16:36:13

wow. quite a contrast activist
My sad IWD moment was when I asked school librarian what girls like reading. "They ask for stories about things like alcoholic fathers and child abuse quite often" was the reply. sad

grannyactivist Fri 08-Mar-13 16:15:34

I've just finished an English lesson with a female Russian student who quite formally wished me "Happy International Women's Day" on her arrival and apologised for not bringing me a gift!!! shock. We had a fascinating discussion on how, in Russia, International Women’s Day is often celebrated among family or friends with a special celebration meal and drinks. Most women receive flowers, cards and gifts and TV programmes pay tribute to the achievements of famous Russian women. It's also a public holiday in Russia. Most banks, official buildings and schools are closed for the day. (But the shops stay open.) At the same time it is still regarded as perfectly 'normal' for the "alpha male husband to beat his wife if he wants to" and no-one would dream of calling the police or interfering if they observed domestic violence. confused

Butty Fri 08-Mar-13 13:05:39

Margaret Bourke-White - Photojournalist. (Not unknown though)

Bourke-White was the first female war correspondent and the first woman to be allowed to work in combat zones during World War II.

JessM Fri 08-Mar-13 12:26:52

Bess of Hardwick. I just read The Other Queen by Phillipa Gregory. About Mary Q of Scots and Bess.
Bess was a poor woman who married 3 husbands (who all died) and actively managed their money and land until she was very wealthy. Then she married the Earl of Shrewsbury. Things went wrong when MQS was billeted on them. The Earl allowed her to spend his fortune, living in the manner to which she was accustomed. QE1 never paid them a penny for looking after her.
Bess eventually managed to extract herself with a chunk of her wealth intact, separate from the earl and managed her own business affairs successfully from that time on. I am guessing the author was able to see a lot of her original accounts as part of her research. So a trailblazer for the ability of women to succeed in management and accounting.

whenim64 Fri 08-Mar-13 11:52:23

Lilygran I had never made the connection, but just been reading about Octavia Hill and see that Octavia Housing (on the Register of Social Landlords, Investors in People) in South London has developed from her work, providing housing for the poor, and nowadays affordable housing. What an impresive woman she was. She was born 100 years ago last year, so just missed her centenary.

Lilygran Fri 08-Mar-13 11:37:39

Octavia Hill. There was a really interesting programme about her the other day. Built clean and solid affordable homes to rent to the poor, campaigned to save green open spaces in cities from development and founded the National Trust. Born 1838.

whenim64 Fri 08-Mar-13 11:09:59

No ga hadn't heard of her, but I see there is a lot of information on her and her family, when I Googled her. I'm going to read some more about her. I see she was also a children's author. I like this page of her quotes:

www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/harriet_martineau.html

grannyactivist Fri 08-Mar-13 10:52:14

Have you heard of Harriet Martineau? She was way ahead of her time in so many ways and I think her contribution to women's studies is very undervalued. She was a contemporary of Darwin (came close to marrying his brother), a secularist, an abolitionist, feminist, supporter of women's education........and almost nobody I know has heard of her.

whenim64 Fri 08-Mar-13 09:41:05

After the One Billion Rising movement's success last month, I have been receiving daily bulletins on Facebook and in emails from around the world, updating progress on the call for legislation and education to address violence to women. Flash mobs and large gatherings are still happening every day. A shame that this is needed, and it would be a shame if this overshadowed the power, influence and abilities we already celebrate as mature women.

Today, I'm enjoying lots of freedom to do my own thing, learn about what's being acknowledged about women here and across the globe, and I'm going to look around to find an inspirational woman who I haven't known about till today.

Does anyone have any previously unknown women, whom we ought to know about, to recommend as inspirational for us?