Gransnet forums

Charities

We need volunteers to help primary school children learn to read

(13 Posts)
Beanstalkcharity Sat 27-Jul-13 18:20:15

Beanstalk is a children's literacy charity that recruits, trains and supports volunteers to work in primary schools with children who are struggling with their reading. We currently work in many parts of London, Kent, Birmingham and the West Midlands, Northamptonshire, the North West and North East of England.

Our reading helpers work with three children each for a whole year, going into school twice a week for an hour and a half at a time (half an hour with each child, twice a week).

We urgently need more volunteers to allow us to help more children when school starts in September. If you can make the commitment above and want a really rewarding volunteering experience that will transform the lives of children in your area, then please contact us for more information.

We need volunteers in all the areas in which we work but also particularly need volunteers from the following parts of London: Enfield, Edmonton, Walthamstow, Leytonstone, Hackney, Lambeth, Southwark, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Lewisham and Newham.

You can read more at www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk/reading-helpers and apply online at www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk/reading-helpers/how-to-apply, or you can call us on 020 7729 4087 for more information.

Thank you

ninathenana Sat 27-Jul-13 18:38:01

Have been doing this for years. If your contemplating it, go for it. It's very rewarding.

Eloethan Sun 28-Jul-13 19:15:47

Thanks. I've been meaning to find out about this for some time. Have sent in an application.

JessM Mon 29-Jul-13 08:14:05

Bumping this so more people see it

MrsSB Mon 29-Jul-13 11:19:43

Nothing in my area I'm afraid.

JessM Mon 29-Jul-13 13:24:53

But individual schools may well be running schemes mrsSB. If you think about a primary teacher's workload and the 30 children in the class - what are the chances of listening to all of them read regularly...? And some secondaries run catch up reading programmes with volunteers.

hummingbird Mon 29-Jul-13 14:02:55

I have offered my services to my granddaughter's school, and they were delighted. I'm going to do one morning a week from September. Every little helps, I guess.

MrsSB Mon 29-Jul-13 17:28:26

JessM, that's a good point, I'll try to make some enquiries locally. Thanks.

Maniac Tue 30-Jul-13 13:08:01

Nothing in my area.
I taught in primary school for over 10 years and also gained OU Diploma in Reading Development.
After retirement I offered help at nearby school.They stuck me in a corner of reception class with a queue of slower readers who read from their set book.I didn't feel there was chance to help much.I gave up because getting up and down to small chairs was so hard with an arthritic knee!

J52 Wed 31-Jul-13 12:30:15

Sometimes just being a different person to read to helps a child's reading confidence, even if they are 'slow'! Like learning to drive, when we learnt to read we were all 'slow' at first. X

Beanstalkcharity Mon 13-Jan-14 22:04:36

We're really pleased to have been chosen as Mumsnet's Campaign of the Week this week - see www.mumsnet.com/campaigns/links-to-other-organisations. We urgently need more volunteers so if you have some time to spare to help a child learn to read, do get in touch - more info at www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk/reading-helpers or call 020 7729 4087.

You can watch a film about our work here: vimeo.com/81510937

Thank you.

Beanstalkcharity Fri 09-Jan-15 21:34:00

We've just launched a new film about our work - we hope you like it! If you'd like to volunteer as a reading helper do get in touch at www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk

vimeo.com/115081871

Beanstalkcharity Sat 30-Sep-17 16:24:15

With the start of the new school year, we're now looking for our new intake of volunteers. If anyone is interested, visit www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk. We've started work in some new areas such as Norfolk, Suffolk, and Swindon, so do check out our website to see if we're in your area now.