Gransnet forums

Charities

Advise needed re sponsoring a child

(38 Posts)
Iam64 Tue 25-Feb-14 19:17:39

We've also sponsored through Action Aid, and I donate to World Vision.

grannyactivist Tue 25-Feb-14 17:19:19

Our family has sponsored many children through World Vision and we have every confidence in them as an organisation. I have also met adults who were sponsored as children through through Compassion.
I sponsor the education of three children in Nicaragua through a tiny local organisation where people fly out there a couple of times a year and pay school fees directly to the school and they also join in local building programmes.

whenim64 Tue 25-Feb-14 17:09:57

Same here - I dislike the idea of being patroniing, but Assia sends occasional letters about her small school and her life and I tell her about a few children I know where I can see they compare. I only respond when she writes as I don't want her to feel she is obliged to contract me.

With other charities, I don't contribute when they offer fluffy toys and newsletters or prizes. Just use the money on what it's intended for, please!.

nightowl Tue 25-Feb-14 16:18:11

I know what you mean Mishap. When I started to sponsor a child I was concerned about the patronising aspect of it as well, and I hated the fact that the child was referred to as my 'foster child'. That child had a perfectly good family and didn't need another one, foster or otherwise. I think Plan International must have caught up because that term is never used now I'm glad to say. I don't communicate a lot with the child I sponsor but when I do I try to stick to telling him about life in the UK and thank him for sharing details of his family and village life with me.

Mishap Tue 25-Feb-14 15:49:02

Action Aid is the one we donate through. I don't do direct communication with the sponsored child as it feels a bit patronising to me - don't know why - but we keep the money going.

whenim64 Tue 25-Feb-14 15:23:53

Orphans In Need is a good charity to find a child or family to sponsor. They have a Facebook site, too, which shows progress in different areas. I sponsor a girl in Kashmir who was orphaned in the earthquake a few years ago. She is the same age as my grandson.

dollie Tue 25-Feb-14 15:03:42

http://www.bibic.org.uk/

This is a charity in the uk where you can sponsor children..

baubles Tue 25-Feb-14 14:46:33

I'm onto my third child with Plan International. I enjoy reading about the work that they do but have to admit I'm very bad at communicating with the child and do feel a little guilty about that.

NfkDumpling Tue 25-Feb-14 14:43:08

Thanks, I'll look at those - the concern was whether the money gets to the child. I like the idea that World Vision continue to sponsor if circumstances change, that was one of my concerns.

vegasmags Tue 25-Feb-14 14:36:12

I have sponsored a girl in Tanzania for 6 years now, with World Vision. I am sure there are many similar organisations, but I have been very happy with World Vision. What attracted me to them initially was the way they help and assist a particular village or geographical area, one part of which is sponsoring the education of the children. They also guarantee that if your circumstances change, they will honour the sponsorship you have begun. I have regular contact with Bernadetta Paul, in the form of letters and cards. She is 13 now and wants to be a teacher. World Vision are very good on the admin front, so it has all been very straightforward.

nightowl Tue 25-Feb-14 14:35:08

I sponsor a child through Plan International. I find it a very good organisation. I receive regular updates about the child, his family and local area and I am able to send cards, letters and small gifts. You can also register for gift aid if you are a taxpayer and leave a legacy in your will. It's lovely to feel you can make a difference to a specific child's life.

NfkDumpling Tue 25-Feb-14 14:25:08

(Suspect I've put this under the wrong heading. It's not a notice)

NfkDumpling Tue 25-Feb-14 14:24:15

I've been supporting Guide Dogs for the Blind for many years and must have given a complete dog by now, so, having just been to India and seen some of the problems there, I'd really like to to sponsor a child with help for education instead. Googled sponsoring and am thoroughly confused. There are so many different organisations. Anyone out there sponsoring who can give advice?