Gransnet forums


Please sign our e-petition and make your home safer from Carbon Monoxide

(11 Posts)
absam1 Tue 03-Jun-14 09:36:55

I am a Trustee of The Katie Haines Memorial Trust - set up following the death of my daughter Katie from carbon monoxide poisoning.My daughter Katie died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning two months after her fairytale wedding. Please keep your children safe.

84% of UK homes have smoke detectors but only around 15% have CO alarms. This puts countless families in danger. Whilst there is no substitute for annual servicing and maintenance of appliances, a professionally installed CO alarm could save your life. In Northern Ireland and Scotland there is already legislation for CO alarms where carbon burning appliances are being installed but not in England and Wales.

To force a debate in the House of Commons on this issue 100,000 signatures are required. Leading industry organisations are backing this campaign with the ultimate aim of saving lives. We urge you to do the same by pledging your support today.

Grannyknot Tue 03-Jun-14 11:05:02

absam1 what a tragedy - I googled. I'm so deeply sorry for you and Katie's other family flowers.

I've signed the petition.

rubysong Tue 03-Jun-14 11:24:41

I've signed the petition. Good luck with your campaign.

MiniMouse Tue 03-Jun-14 13:24:39

I've signed, too. Isn't it unbelievable how little publicity the dangers of CO2 gets?

annodomini Tue 03-Jun-14 13:30:56

My sympathy absam1. I have signed your petition. I am fortunate to have been given a CO detector by my local council - one of the benefits of being 'old'.

sherish Tue 03-Jun-14 13:36:30

I have signed the petition too. My thoughts are with all your family.

JessM Tue 03-Jun-14 22:42:09

Signed. A friend of mine had CO poisoning because the oil boiler in her rented house had not been serviced for years. Landlords are obliged to do a gas safety check but not oil.

liminetta Tue 03-Jun-14 22:49:52

I am ever so sad for you. I have signed your petition.

Daisyanswerdo Tue 03-Jun-14 23:28:22

I've signed. It's reminded me that I haven't got a CO detector since moving house, so thank you, and my thoughts also are with you and your family.

absam1 Thu 05-Jun-14 08:20:12

Thank you so much everyone for signing and hopefully spreading the word with your family and friends. Katie's death was preventable, which makes it harder to bear. It is important that all carbon burning appliances are serviced regularly by a registered engineer and chimneys swept. Recently a man and his two children died of CO poison when a crisp packet got stuck up the chimney and the fire couldn't burn properly. Also, you might be in an all electric house - as 10 year old Dominic Rogers - but CO can come from an attached house or flat. So that is why an audible CO alarm is so important. Please keep safe.

shabby Thu 05-Jun-14 14:43:22

I've signed. Best wishes for a successful campaign.