Gransnet forums

Charities

What a wonderful woman!

(4 Posts)
rosequartz Wed 11-Mar-15 17:38:30

Below is a link to a news article about a lady called Lillian Weber who makes a dress every day for girls in need.
What a wonderful woman - and she is 99!

www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/20/99-year-old-dress-lillian-weber_n_5694861.html

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 11-Mar-15 18:39:20

She's amazing. Shows me up for the lazy old so-and-so I am.

Mishap Wed 11-Mar-15 18:55:15

That is really interesting; and there is a UK contact on the website if anyone wanted to make dresses here. I think it is a splendid idea.

It is to be hoped that their religious affiliation does not influence their project in any evangelical fashion, like the shoe boxes of gifts that go out with a New Testament in them. It is lovely to give a gift, but it should be no-strings.

It is lovely to hear of this very elderly lady who has found a way to continue to make a contribution to people's well-being in another country. Good on her.

rosequartz Wed 11-Mar-15 23:15:18

I am ashamed that I have a box full of fabric that has been sitting under the stairs for years.
I should do something with it (although I do knit for charity - slowly).

Christian children may be glad of a New Testament, but I agree it should not be sent out to everyone or be a 'with strings' condition of the gift.
The charity I support has no religious affiliation and helps children of any religion.