Gransnet forums

Charities

British Legion

(9 Posts)
Iam64 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:45:26

Yes, it's what charities do now but it doesn't mean we have to either like it, or respond to it. Could you write to their chief exec or someone with influence mrsmop? My sister had similarly distressing and rather late night (i think 9 pm is late to phone in other than special circs these days) from the Red Cross. She is a regular donator but they wanted her to alter her will in order to leave cash to them. She threatened to cancel her monthly contribution and eventually after several distressing calls did exactly that.

I'm a poppy knitter and dread being harassed in the way you describe.

Teetime Mon 06-Jul-15 17:04:44

Yes I agree all the charities do this now as they are all chasing the same money. I do think there are far too many smaller charities and they could do with joining up and are often not clear what their point of difference is. I'm confused by the difference between what the BL does and Help for Heroes does for example

annsixty Mon 06-Jul-15 16:45:53

All the numbers calling with requests to donate or increase donations have come from number starting with 0203 or 0207 so it does seem to be centralised. I just ignore them now.

rosesarered Mon 06-Jul-15 15:43:14

All charities do this now, they probably have outsourced to business' that do all the marketing and such.Their whole ethos is to make money for the charity any way they deem fit.I get inundated with begging letters from charities I already support , so they go straight in the bin, any calls I nip firmly in the bud.

vampirequeen Mon 06-Jul-15 09:32:46

I hate the way charities have started to do this. It makes me want to stop donating all together.

Greyduster Mon 06-Jul-15 08:45:14

Being ex-Forces, have always been supporters of the British Legion - DH was a member at one time. This is becoming a regular pattern with many charities now, of asking either for a regular contribution or, if you make a regular contribution, badgering you to increase it. We have this with Macmillan at the moment, despite having told them we are not in a position to increase our standing order.

hildajenniJ Sun 05-Jul-15 21:22:42

I used to go door to door with poppies, and had a regular route. I did it for several years, until I moved to a different town. I think I would be rather put out if they started hassling me over the phone. My father and both his brothers were staunch supporters of the British Legion, my father was the branch standard bearer for decades. They would be less than happy about such tactics.

aggie Sun 05-Jul-15 21:19:52

You are right , if they ring again tell them you will never donate again if they don't stop annoying you , this worked for me when I made a monthly donation to a big charity . I never heard from them again and I still donate . I think you are doing your bit and more with your knitteds

mrsmopp Sun 05-Jul-15 21:11:29

I am a strong supporter of British Legion and make donations whenever I can. Last year I made a lot of money by knitting poppies and sold 150, and passed the money to them. Two weeks later they wrote to me asking me to make regular monthly payments. I refused saying I prefer to donate as and when. Then last week they rang me again at home 9.00 in the evening again wanting regular payments made through the bank. I have already started making poppies for this year's appeal. I do support the work they do but they are getting me down. I am already supporting them and its up to me to decide how much and how often I give. Are they being unreasonable or am I being over sensitive? I dont want them hassling me I am already supporting them!!