Gransnet forums

Charities

Sixtyat60 challenge

(19 Posts)
Vivien60 Sat 29-Aug-15 14:55:48

I don't yet have any grandchildren (although I do have three lovely adult children) and whilst I wait patiently for this magical next stage in my life to happen, I've decided to use my time productively! As I've recently reached my 60th birthday, I've started a sixtyat60 challenge - I have 60 tasks to complete by my 61st birthday and am raising money for Alzheimer's Research UK and Shooting Star Chase, two charities very close to my heart.

Some of the tasks are lovely, fun activities (eg watching flamenco dancing in Seville and throwing a pot), some of them make me face fears (eg abseiling and holding a snake...) and some of them are slow burners that I have to stick at for months to achieve (eg running a 10k in under 60 mins and playing Al Stewart's year of the cat on the saxophone).

Every time I complete a task I have to write a blog about it to provide evidence that I really did do it. I think it's fair to say that there have already been highs and lows - the best moment has been a reunion with an old friend I haven't seen for 39 years smile and the worst moment has been having to fly out to Stockholm on one task without my daughter, because at the eleventh hour she lost her passport and couldn't leave the country sad.

To see the full list of 60 tasks and find out where I'm up to, please visit www.sixtyat60challenge.blogspot.co.uk. The blog about Stockholm is especially entertaining by the way....... sixtyat60challenge.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/task-45-have-my-photo-taken-with-singer_5.html

I'd be really pleased to get comments or suggestions through this forum on any of the tasks - for instance how on earth do I get Graham Norton to read out my request on his Saturday morning radio show hmm.....

If I complete a task that you think is deserving of a donation I'd be beyond grateful (a link to my justgiving page is on my blog) - the whole point of this challenge is to raise money for two great causes, not simply for me to show off and make a nuisance of myself!

Anya Sat 29-Aug-15 15:44:16

Both very worthy causes and I'm assuming this has been given the stamp of approval by GNHQ?

Maggiemaybe Sat 29-Aug-15 21:13:53

I know I'm being a grumpy old woman here, but most of these "challenges" are just treats. Good luck to you - a lot of us have similar lists - but I don't see why anyone should sponsor us to enjoy ourselves. If your main focus is to raise £600 for the charities, why not cross a couple of the more expensive ones off the list and simply donate the savings?

Vivien60 Sat 29-Aug-15 23:49:27

Fair enough, Maggiebemay although to to be honest, I do feel rather disheartened by your post. The point of doing these tasks is as much to raise the profile of these two amazing charities as to raise money myself - just donating the money isnt going to do that. Anyway, perhaps it's best that I remove the post altogether as I really don't want to make people grumpy.

Vivien60 Sat 29-Aug-15 23:56:21

Apologies Maggiemaybe misspelt your username

durhamjen Sat 29-Aug-15 23:57:52

No, leave it on.
Some people are just grumpy.
We have a few threads on parents and in-laws who have dementia, and we know people who need the services of hospices. You never know, some of your antics might persuade some of us to donate.
Anyone know Graham Norton?
Someone who used to write on here is the mother of a TV celebrity. You never know, she might be reading.

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 09:25:36

Maggie still do your challenges, but do them for yourself. Your causes are a different matter.

I confess I've not read your list but does it include some sacrifices such as:-

#give up chocolate/wine/etc for a month
#use the car less and walk more
#forgo your haircut/colour treatment/manicure

examples such as these and instead give the money to your causes.

You can still write your blogs and to be honest they may be more interesting to read.

Indinana Sun 30-Aug-15 09:34:38

And why shouldn't some of the challenges be treats? Is self-flagellation the only 'proper' way to raise money for charity?
Many people draw up a bucket list of things they really want to do, places they really want to visit and so on. Good for them, but it usually is only 'good for them'. Vivien is taking it a step further and getting sponsorship so that her bucket list is good for other people too, people who really need all the help they can get. Good for you Vivien smile

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Aug-15 10:01:26

Not mine, Anya. These are all Vivien's. I'm the grumpy one. smile.

Vivien60 Sun 30-Aug-15 11:09:49

Massive thank you for your posts [Maggiemaybe] [durhamjen] [Anya] [Indinana] - a great mixture of support and pause for thought. I really like the sacrifice idea and I'm going to see how I can weave a couple of sacrifices into tasks that I'm already doing. Will keep you posted on that. And also nice to read posts reassuring me that it doesn't just have to be about 60 ways to self-flagellate smile.

It's absolutely true that many of the items are lovely individual activities to do (although training for a 10k at this time of life does feel a bit of a uphill battle much of the time) but trying to complete them all within 365 days is definitely where the challenge comes into it. Oh and perhaps I should also mention that about a third of the tasks have been proposed by friends and family - for instance the idea of holding a snake sends my anxiety levels soaring sky-high (cheers daughter of mine), but I'm going to do my best......

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that it's the first time I've ever taken part in a forum let alone started a thread so thank you all.

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Aug-15 13:26:50

Perhaps you should have had this on your list of challenges then, Vivien! You'll be fine with the 10k - I did my first at 55 - but getting in at under 60 mins first go will be admirable. I'll check your blog to see how you do. smile

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 13:38:45

Maggie & Vivien sorry for mix up smile

Indinana I didn't say some shouldn't be treats - just not all of them. One of my e-friends decided she'd forgo the hairdresser for a year and give the money to her favourite charity. This is what gave me the idea.

She emails me about once a month and the saga of The Hair had me nearly wetting myself. So, those that have the touch, can really go to town on it.

Vivien there may be a book in there somewhere grin

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 13:42:48

Maggie I too took up running late (50) and not only managed a sub 60 minute 10k (under the Mersey) but did the Great North Run in 2000 and 2001.

Sadly the definition of a runner as someone who is 'either injured, recovering from and injury or just about to become injured' applied to me too often, so have given that up for walking instead!

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Aug-15 14:08:18

Same here, Anya, I'm afraid. I realised the end had come when I couldn't bear to sit down at work one day until a colleague had nipped to Asda and dosed me up on painkillers and Deep Heat! Shame though, I did love that running high. I never got to the half marathon level though.

Indinana Sun 30-Aug-15 14:09:21

Anya my post was not in response to yours - I hadn't even read your post at the time of writing, as we had cross posted.

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 14:13:37

Not to worry Indinana smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 30-Aug-15 16:06:00

If it makes you happy, do it. If you raise money for charities, good on you. Suit yourself. [shrug]

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 30-Aug-15 16:07:16

I suppose putting it on here got some publicity.

Vivien60 Sun 30-Aug-15 19:49:51

Maggie and Anya Very inspiring to hear about your later-life running - sadly I fit the definition of a runner too as I pulled a ligament in my foot 3 months ago and was banned from running for 6 weeks. I'm now having to take training slowly but surely. I'm registered to do my first 10k on 25 Oct. If I don't make 60 min, then I'll just register on another one and keep trying. But it's true that my main worry is over wear and tear rather than actual fitness. Although I do know what you mean about that running high - think I've just begun to experience a tiny bit of that.

Forego hairdresser for a year - wow that is impressive.....