Gransnet forums

Charities

LILY - Helping Syrian Refugees

(13 Posts)
rosequartz Wed 23-Sep-15 10:27:11

I am not sure if this is allowed, but I'll put it on and let GN decide smile

The charity I support which helps Syrian refugees in camps in Turkey and the Lebanon now has a link to Amazon with a 'wish list' of items desperately needed in the camps.
To make donating easy you can order needed items on Amazon and they will be delivered straight to LILY (Love in the Language of Yarn):
love-in-the-language-of-yarn.blogspot.co.uk/

www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2P2UX7BCBI5M7/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_ws_KeMawb06R3QPF

Despite the fact that you may see people walking to Europe, there are still thousands in camps and in need of help.

rosequartz Thu 24-Sep-15 09:14:52

As this got no response I thought I would put on an update with a link which shows what this small but excellent charity does:

www.fethiyetimes.com/news/44-news/16021-syrian-refugees-in-turkey-what-can-we-do-to-help.html

Teetime Thu 24-Sep-15 09:17:58

This looks like a really interesting way of giving rose I'll look into it certainly. Thank you for the link.

rosequartz Thu 24-Sep-15 09:23:36

A new way of giving, it seems a good idea Teetime
I have previously donated money and sent knitted items to Turkey, but Parcel Force charges a lot! ( no special rates for charity).
However, I will continue sending knitted items too.

whitewave Thu 24-Sep-15 09:28:07

Right off I go! A good excuse to keep knitting , I am in the middle of a baby girls cot blanket at the moment so will finish that and start on a baby boys.

Teetime Thu 24-Sep-15 09:28:24

It was really easy to do and the things on the wish list are so basic and not expensive - things like babies feeding bottles and nappies.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 24-Sep-15 10:10:43

The items are not expensive, but the postage is. I wanted to help so tried several options, but can't afford to pay the overall price on my limited income. I am sorry and wish the charity well. I will find a way to make a contribution some how though.

Elegran Thu 24-Sep-15 11:17:20

There are organisations with centres set up all over the place collecting suitable items, Wilma and delivering them in bulk. Is there one near you?

The other advantage of using a collection point is that they issue lists of what is most needed NOW. The main thing at my local one is men's clothing and shoes.

There is a map to help you find your nearest local centre at thirdforcenews.org.uk/tfn-news/refugee-crisis-find-your-nearest-collection

rosequartz Thu 24-Sep-15 11:22:39

Yes, the postage is a bugbear.

You can donate on the website too, and then LILY buy essentials such as flour etc locally and deliver it.

Thank you for your responses.

Teetime Thu 24-Sep-15 11:23:54

I didn't pay postage - it went through Amazon directly.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 24-Sep-15 11:38:28

I made a donation to Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS), but I will also make a direct donation to LILY. Thanks peeps.

rosequartz Thu 19-Nov-15 13:16:34

I am not sure again if this is allowed, but the thought of children walking around in the snow without shoes doesn't bear thinking about.

They are not asking for shoes to be sent (postage is prohibitive anyway) but £5 will buy a pair of shoes for a child locally in Turkey.

Thank you.

love-in-the-language-of-yarn.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/winter-shoe-appeal-for-syrian-children.html?spref=fb

rosequartz Thu 19-Nov-15 13:17:30

ps the donate button for the shoes is the one at the bottom of the page on the link.
Thank you