Gransnet forums

Charities

The Big Give

(14 Posts)
Friday Mon 04-Dec-17 08:15:14

I hope this is allowed under GN rules. Would just like to point out that if you make a donation to charity while this on, your donation will be doubled.

I frankly don’t need or want my Winter Fuel Allowance and I’m guessing there are others out there who also donate it to charity every winter. There are over 500 charities to choose from so just google The Big Give and choose your favourite one if you are feeling in the Christmas spirit of giving,

Please no negatives. I understand that not all can, or want, to give. But there was a thread started earlier by Elegran which was about happiness and getting on with family and in laws. So can this thread please just also be about spreading a little generosity and good will but if you can and if you can’t then best not spread any unpleasantness.

Friday Mon 04-Dec-17 08:22:54

If you donated your £200 WFA, and you can Gift Aid it, that will be £450 to your chosen charity ?

ninathenana Mon 04-Dec-17 08:42:26

Thanks Friday I wasn't aware of this.

annsixty Mon 04-Dec-17 08:48:46

Does this have to be given specifically under the scheme?
If one has already given does it not count?

annsixty Mon 04-Dec-17 08:50:45

Also, did you know that once over 80, you get another £100 but not again when the other one reaches 80.

Friday Mon 04-Dec-17 10:07:15

As far as I’m aware it has to be given under the Big Give umbrella which runs for a couple of weeks about this time of year annsixty.

But I might be wrong ?

I’m flagging it up nina because I think a lot of people aren’t aware and I know from friends many give their WFA to charity, even some who really can’t afford to.

No didn’t know about the extra £100.

Fennel Mon 04-Dec-17 11:55:31

That sounds like a good idea, I don't think it applies here (France).
I've donated to 3 french charities irregularly for the last 15 years, and lately have had so many appeals (in letter form) from many more, which I can't afford. But no doubt they're still in need.

annsixty Mon 04-Dec-17 12:26:40

Thank you Friday I will certainly look out next year as I have donated already.
I am very fortunate to be able to give our WFA and know a lot of people would like to but really need it.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 04-Dec-17 12:33:45

The Christmas Challenge ends tomorrow 5th December, so you need to be quick if you want to double your donation.

Friday Mon 04-Dec-17 14:46:35

Thanks for that information WilmaKnickers I hadn’t realised.

Granny23 Mon 04-Dec-17 22:56:24

I've just seen this on facebook and thought I would flag it up for all those involved with various charities. Need to be quick though, requests finish on 8th December

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 05-Dec-17 00:09:45

Friday I only know because I visited the website today. I'd not heard of The Big Give before you posted.

Friday Tue 05-Dec-17 05:04:28

I’m satisfied then that I’ve at least flagged it up to a couple of people.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 05-Dec-17 22:58:20

Yes, thank you for doing that. tchsmile