Gransnet forums

Charities

Oxfam - tip of the iceberg?

(77 Posts)
Telly Tue 13-Feb-18 17:01:23

Reading an article today about the waste that is prevalent in Oxfam (The Times, 13 Feb), also reading about their more than generous pension scheme (they double contributions made by staff of up to 10% of salary, which is brilliant for the high earners), and have decided to stop my small monthly contribution. I am wondering what else is going to come out of the woodwork? I am going to stick to my usual method of trying to help by contributing to smaller charities. Not there is any guarantee......

luzdoh Wed 14-Feb-18 11:41:18

I can't name all of you - so many! Which in itself attests to the immensity of the corruption. But thank you for your eye-opening inside knowledge. I know too, from personal experience, that the organisers do very well out of charities. Even a Charity Shop I donated to, I discovered the "helpers" only doing half a day a week each so as to take first pickings from the newly donated items. This was a well-known Christian Charity. Another children's charity were given the short sell-by date food at the weekend from M&S, but the managers used to take loads of it home for themselves. I like your observation Alexa. The devil is everywhere. I'm finding myself so depressed about the way of the world, politics, everything at the moment. I cry at least once every day! A young friend told me how the people who phone asking you to increase your donation would tell lies to get more money, she worked there for a while after leaving uni. She said they'd say things like "I was going to buy some new shoes but I thought of the charity's needs and realised it needed the money more." Then, believe it or not, a young-sounding girl phoned me from Oxfam asking me to increase my donation and she said the very same thing about shoes! What can we do? There is so much corruption.

luzdoh Wed 14-Feb-18 11:51:46

Luckygirl Oxfam works for the government. It is its eyes abroad, finding out what cannot be gleaned by proper means. The government places people in Oxfam strategically to infiltrate difficult areas and regimes across the world so as to gather intelligence. This has become more and more widely known. Initially it was brushed aside as "Conspiracy theory", but too many people have witnessed it now. I would not be surprised to see Oxfam wrapped up soon. But it will spring back under another name.

Magrithea Wed 14-Feb-18 11:59:20

From what I have heard on the radio it seems Oxfam isn't theonly charity that this happens in but they are the ones who've been exposed so it needs a root and branch reform of all charities to ensure this doesn't happen in future.

Oldwoman70 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:03:39

I was surprised when I volunteered in a charity shop at the amount of donations which were actually thrown away. If some clothing was donated which had been bought in a supermarket, no matter what the condition, we were instructed to put it for "rags", books which were not in perfect condition and ornaments which the manager considered "naff" were thrown away. Workers would "put aside" goods they wanted for themselves and would pay a reduced amount.

humptydumpty Wed 14-Feb-18 12:17:00

luzdoh I find your account of phone calling by fundraisers asking for increased donations totally implausible. After leaving uni my daughter also worked for a call centre working on behalf of charities asking people if they would be willing to increase their donation, and they had scripts to which they worked and there was nothing in any way like your shoes story. It was very professional, and the only negative thing she found was in the response by people she was calling (who were already donors and had provided their number) who were sometimes personally abusive to the person calling them.

pen50 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:24:54

I work for a local, religious charity, and I can assure you we're not all bloated plutocrats (I wish.) Our highest paid employee is on less than £70k, and our average annual pay is closer to £28k. Admin is a cost but we are so hedged about by rules and regulations that it would be impossible to run the place solely on well-meaning volunteers - though we have over 500. Having endured our own, well-publicised, safeguarding scandal a couple of decades ago, looking after children and vulnerable adults is at the top of our priorities, and we have all sorts of procedures in place to ensure this will never happen again. But of course it all costs. We get no government aid towards day-to-day running costs though we have benefited this year from a capital works grant - though that is unusual.

So please don't tarnish all charities with the same brush; some of are really are very careful with other people's money - and time, and skills, and children...

Sheilasue Wed 14-Feb-18 12:35:28

Very sad I see this morning the actress Minnie Driver has stepped down.
It’s hard to know what to do, there is a Salvation Army church in our local shopping centre they do coffee mornings,Dad and parents club on a Saturday so we keep a little jar and fill with small coins, 1p 2p 5p and by the time Christmas comes it’s full, we take it down to them. I rather put money in a bucket or give to Salvation Army, battersea dogs home

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:56:09

The likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg, who is opposed to any kind of aid spending, have dug this up to smokescreen/muddy the waters.
I hadn't heard that JR-M exposed this scandal - is that true? If not, then that is quite a serious allegation.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:02:19

If it can be 'proved' that charities are bad, then Little Englanders have the perfect excuse for cutting off funds and turning their backs on the world's poor
That's very cynical and I don't think it is true in fact.

Does that mean you are quite happy for over-paid top charity workers to abuse the vulnerable for their own ends and that should all be kept secret so that other vital work continues?

I would rather this was brought out into the open and that charity money, whether from donations, taxpayers' foreign aid money or wherever, was properly used to help the poor and vulnerable and not creamed off by corrupt local officials or used by charity workers to exploit victims of poverty and disaster for sex.

This needs to be exposed to ensure that there is more accountability in future.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:05:16

humptydumpty a friend of mine had a direct debit set up to the Red Cross for a reasonable amount each money which she could afford. She then received phone calls asking her to increase her donation to £50 per month, when she said she couldn't afford that much the last young man who phoned became quite unpleasant and pressurised her so much that she ended up in tears and cancelled her donation altogether.

GabriellaG Wed 14-Feb-18 14:40:55

I remember being devasted and undeniably tearful many years ago, when the front page of a tabloid showed a photograph of a small stick-thin boy carrying his smaller sister on his back, walking to where there might have been an aid drop. There was nothing to be seen for miles, just a bleak barren landscape. I looked at my well nourished and loved children and dug deep to send a cheque.
I can still see the picture in my mind's eye but the scenario han't changed for the better. Africa (and other countries) sucks up money like a sponge but still the begging bowl is held out and we oblige.
Is the money getting to the right targets? NO.

GabriellaG Wed 14-Feb-18 14:41:28

It was Biafra.

quizqueen Wed 14-Feb-18 14:43:24

I have never donated to foreign aid charities or any of the large multi-national ones and never will. The UK government already gives £25 million a day of tax payers' and other borrowed money and nothing is really getting any better in the 'so called' third world. The only thing that will improve their lot in life is to get rid of their corrupt leaders and control their population numbers and they can only do that for themselves. Africa was supposedly the cradle of civilisation so what happened!!!!

quizqueen Wed 14-Feb-18 14:52:33

Also, re the story about regular donors being asked to increase their donations. At Christmas I was sent a £5 book of raffle tickets from the Cat's Protection League. As I am an animal lover, I decided to buy all of them. I have just received a book for a new raffle, a £10 book of raffle tickets this time!!! So for their greedy attitude, it went straight in the bin and they will get nothing.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:58:53

I remember that GabriellaG and the first Great Blue Peter Bring and Buy Sale to help survivors of Pol Pots murderous regime in Cambodia. We didn't have much money but we sent books, records, toys, clothes and I manned a stall.

I think Mesopotamia was the cradle of civilisation (sorry to argue!) and look at it now.

eazybee Wed 14-Feb-18 16:19:05

The likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg, who is opposed to any kind of aid spending, have dug this up to smokescreen/muddy the waters. post by Nashma.
I too would like to know what evidence this statement is based on; if this is supposition what has given her grounds for posting it?
I always support the Salvation Army, as I don't believe they have a large bank of highly paid executives draining resources. They also go in where no one else will, in this country at least, and do a lot of work amongst derelicts and homeless.

luzdoh Wed 14-Feb-18 16:19:42

humptydumpty: Very sorry to tell you but it is absolutely true. There was a TV investigative prog about this and other fund raising by big charities, but I missed it. `What happened to me (and I was a donator to the charity) was a few years ago and possibly before the TV investigation, which may have led to a change in practice.

luzdoh Wed 14-Feb-18 16:27:40

"pen50 This is the tragedy. All of you dedicated, unselfish and caring people are now feeling under attack and as if you have to defend yourselves. Obviously, there is a huge number of good people working for charities, giving time and effort freely or for little reward. Just as many charities are run on impeccable lines by decent people. That is yet another reason why the despicable behaviour of those under scrutiny now makes me so angry.

gagsy Wed 14-Feb-18 17:11:51

I tend to avoid most charities these days as they all seem to have become very political, which is not their remit and I object!

luzdoh Wed 14-Feb-18 18:41:25

humptydumpty:
For proof that fundraisers lied over the phone see info re
the Tv prog Dispatches Ch4, I think it might have been on August 11th 2014

On Youtube look for "dispatches s28e22 how to stop your nuisance calls" or youtu.be/8_FYgF7gKQo
other information can be found on:
www.channel4.com/info/press/news/how-to-stop-your-nuisance-calls-channel-4-dispatches
Channel 4 2015:
youtu.be/wl7sKVM3H3A
www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/telephone-fundraisers--told-to-lie--to-boost-donations--channel-4-investigation-finds.html
After the lid was taken off by Dispatches revealing the depths fundraisers went to, the fundraisers had to clean up their act. However I am told they still get away with what they can, making sure they are not caught.

humptydumpty Wed 14-Feb-18 19:02:17

luzdoh, thank you for your links, I've just got in from work and will look at them later. Unfortunately it is the case that even call centres collecting for charities put a lot of pressure on their staff in terms of targets for amount raised, and I'm sure that pressure results in less than desirable behaviour from workers there. Obviously in the case of my daughter and the young lady you mentioned, they are working their temporarily but if it is a long-term job the pressure of making targets must be very stressful.

I do feel that the problem with only donating to small, local charities is that the neediest people are those who have suffered a natural disaster or are very poor, as they are so much more in need really than anyone in the first world...

Camelotclub Wed 14-Feb-18 19:58:39

And now in the news it's a about sexual assaults going on in Oxfam charity shops! Some volunteers accused of assaulting child volunteers - volunteers apparently don't need to be police checked. I volunteer for the National Trust and have not been police checked - it costs a fair bit and takes months. And I have no unsupervised contact with children.

But children should surely not be allowed to work in a charity shop?

shirleyhick Wed 14-Feb-18 21:18:28

My sister works at a charity shop for Red Cross and I was gob smacked when they were flown out to Scotland for a meeting. The other meetings they have in the UK all are expenses paid they are put up in a hotel where they can have a sauna etc all paid for by Red Cross. That is why I will not support any big charity. I prefer to support small local ones.

CardiffJaguar Wed 14-Feb-18 21:23:55

I have always preferred to support research such as Cancer UK and the BHF. I think I can see where the money is being spent.

Welshwife Wed 14-Feb-18 21:38:13

About twenty years ago there was a local funding to build and equip a hospice for children. I always gave to any fundraising and then they set up a draw where you paid £1 a week and the prizes are all money. We have donated the same amount every year for the twenty years and never been asked to increase it.