Gransnet forums

Charities

Quit or carry on?

(4 Posts)
MaluCatchu1 Fri 16-Feb-18 11:29:47

I've typed this twice and hit the wrong thing - 3rd time lucky I hope!
I volunteer for a very very small local charity who don't have a shop or anything and who no-one seems to have heard of. I joined as I didn't want to be involved in the big line-their-own pockets "corporate" type charities BUT this teeny one has at least 5, if not 6, PAID members of staff, which for its small almost unheard of profile is excessive to say the least. If I mention to anyone who I volunteer for they always ask "who"? and I have no idea what they actually spend the money raised on - or does it just go on wages??? I'm feeling a bit mugged off as I've given a lot of time and donated a lot of things that have cost me money to make, yet have no inkling of where the money is spent. They do lots of sponsored this that and the other and have a big event coming up to raise money, but its all volunteers that support these things and no "outsiders". Think I've decided actually - I'm giving up. What would you do?

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 16-Feb-18 11:59:54

Try a website named Charity choice they claim to show you how each charity spends its money. Personally if I wasn’t happy with the Charity I would volunteer somewhere else. There are plenty of worthwhile charities who would love to have you as a volunteer, however, most of the management of the well known ones appear to have hefty salaries.
Good luck!

emmasnan Fri 16-Feb-18 12:12:09

The charity commission should tell you details about the charity, if it is registered. I would want to see exactly what they supported before I carried on.

I work and volunteer for a small national charity and everything is very up front.

MaluCatchu1 Fri 16-Feb-18 13:00:53

Thank you very much Oopsadaisy12 and emmasnan. I hadn't even thought to try and find out where the dosh goes, and now I've had a look then that's it, I'm out! They literally spent practically all of the incoming funds on wages, which I had an inkling may have been the case.
I'm enjoying having a day home from work today - found out a lot and been quite "involved" on GN and happy I've been able to come to an informed decision about my volunteering