Gransnet forums

Charities

Royal Wedding perfect gifts

(46 Posts)
Caledonai14 Mon 09-Apr-18 14:59:23

Prince Harry and Meghan have asked for donations to charity instead of wedding gifts. Such a good idea in the circumstances, where neither of them is going to need the kind of start that wedding gifts are aimed at. Their list of seven charities is quite varied too. Fits with a more humane mood of the country at the moment and gives hope for the future. What do others think?

f77ms Fri 13-Apr-18 09:44:34

What a brilliant idea . I am not a Royalist but have a lot of time for Diana`s sons , they both seem genuinely nice men who have obviously inherited her gentle nature .

Caledonai14 Thu 12-Apr-18 14:32:07

Quite early on in this thread, Grannyactivist and Nanaandgrampy drew my attention to one of the seven charities, Scotty's Little Soldiers and I wondered whether anyone else has experience or knowledge of the others? I had heard about the work of Crisis, which helps homeless people, and The Wilderness Foundation which encourages people to enjoy outdoor pursuits, but I'm just learning about StreetGames, the Myna Mahlia Foundation, Chiva and Surfers Against Sewage.
Has anyone got direct knowledge of the work of these smaller charities? I know we can all look them up, but it would be good to hear a Gransnet opinion or experience.

Anniebach Thu 12-Apr-18 14:31:04

Rufus, bach is Welsh , it means small but is used as little too, was suitable when I was in the crib but still called it when 5'7', by three sisters who are 5' ?

They are Your royals twice over ? once is enough for anyone

And good health to you

Rufus2 Thu 12-Apr-18 14:05:03

Anniebach; Have you got Welsh blood coursing through your veins?smile
I think "bach" is a Welsh term of endearment so if it is I'm sure it suits you!
To the topic at hand. I'm sure the Windsors keep their eyes open as they " get driven (!)" around Windsor and London in order to wave to their loyal subjects, at the right moments. smile

Of course, I know they are our Royals too, and in my case twice over. but that's too deep to go into here.
wink
No, I haven't got Royal blood either.!
Good Health

Anniebach Thu 12-Apr-18 10:00:01

Diana didn't own a tiara, she borrowed one from her brother, Sophie didn't own one neither did .fergie,

Perhaps Harry will borrow the Spencer tiara for the wedding, for Megan not for him ?

Rufus2 Thu 12-Apr-18 09:33:48

Grandma70s
Your son is absolutely right. Who knows what undesirable royal watchers would be taking up residence? Whilst you are all glued in front of the TV watching parades and other attractions, they could be upstairs "nicking" all your valuables, especially your jewellery! angry
No! A much better and more profitable tactic is to rent out your garage, driveway and even front garden
I guess car-parking will be impossible within 5 miles of the Castle; certainly not easy walking distance; not to mention car- bomb fears if you do manage to get a street park. "Security" would probably tow it away or carry out a "controlled explosion" using a robot. grin

No! Royal watchers would be happy to pay fortunes to relax knowing that their cars will be safe from the prowling police and parking inspectors seeking to boost the coffers of The Royal Borough of New Windsor. wink
It would have to be cash-in-hand up front of course
Wish I was still there to make a killing. I'd even welcome them deporting me to Oz. smile
Only joking.!

vampirequeen Thu 12-Apr-18 07:19:11

Makes more sense. I went to see Charles and Diana's wedding presents and it was sad to see how many gifts there were from people that would never be used. Not just the amazing gold and jewels but the little gifts from ordinary people.

maddyone Thu 12-Apr-18 00:17:34

Grandma70s, although Meghan may have some nice jewellery, indeed she has a very nice engagement ring, I meant that she was unlikely to own such things as a beautiful, diamond encrusted tiara, or indeed anything of the type we see in pictures of the royals when attending state banquets. The type of jewellery worn on those occasions is not the type of jewellery anyone, even a royal, would wear on a normal, every day type of event ie. an official visit to a hospital, or city. Yes, they wear jewellery, but not normally a diamond crown or tiara. Therefore I suspect that Meghan doesn’t have anything of that type hidden away in her knicker drawer.

Grandma70s Wed 11-Apr-18 20:57:42

One of my sons lives near Windsor and I suggested he should let out a spare room at vast cost. . He doesn't think it’s a good idea.

Legs55 Wed 11-Apr-18 19:31:18

Anniebach oh I do hope not. No-one knows how Diana would have felt.

Grandma70s Meghan probably has lots of jewels but not the sort of jewels which are worn on formal occasions.

I think it's a wise precaution to clear the streets, not because I have anything against homeless people but Windsor will also be awash with pickpockets, fake beggars & general undesirables. I'm sure the genuine homeless would welcome being a safe area rather than on the streets with all the tourists & royal watchers.

Saggi Wed 11-Apr-18 19:22:10

I seem to Remember my mum telling me that people slept out overnight for the wedding of Eliza etc and Philip all those years ago!! We’re they considered a ‘nuisance’ . After all 1 sleeping bag is very much line another. I think maybe it’s pure predjudice produced by the word ‘homeless’....?!!

Grandma70s Wed 11-Apr-18 17:44:13

I’m puzzled by maddyone’s suggestion that Meghan is ‘unlikely to own any jewels, despite being a very rich woman’. If I were a very rich woman I’d own lots! I’d be surprised if she doesn’r.

lemongrove Wed 11-Apr-18 17:23:52

I’m hoping to be one of their chosen charities.?

gillybob Wed 11-Apr-18 17:21:59

I won’t be sending anything to charity in their name.

Hm999 Wed 11-Apr-18 17:02:53

I think there's support for vulnerable people due to the apathy of the govt towards anyone who's not rich. Consequently I think it's a lovely idea, though I hope those who do send to charity, get a little royal thank you email.

Anniebach Wed 11-Apr-18 16:03:50

Just had a most unpleasant thought, will Paul Burrel be brought in to tell us how proud the grooms mother would be

lemongrove Wed 11-Apr-18 15:55:38

Yes Rufus they are cutting it fine, we haven’t got our invitations yet either, and I haven’t got a thing to wear!
I am sending the happy couple a hand knitted tea cosy.

Anniebach Wed 11-Apr-18 15:52:01

Rufus, I didn't mention the Windsors not seeing the homeless, as they often drive around London and Windsor I am quite sure they drive with their eyes open.

All I said was visitors who travel to see royal events should be considered too

They are your royals as well as ours ?

Rufus2 Wed 11-Apr-18 15:13:48

Anniebach, We've been living out here in Oz for 47 years and so you might think I' sticking my nose in, commenting on this forthcoming wedding. wink
But I joined Gransnet hoping to learn how things are these days back in the Old Dart and hopefully contribute some interesting views from "down under".
I feel qualified to add to your post as we lived as a family in Windsor for several years before coming here.
I can't recall any homeless, but appreciate that it's now a problem with Windsor being a tourist mecca. sad
I remember how we (two young boys and us) used to march from Victoria barracks to the Castle every Saturday morning
with the changing of the guard. Happy days!
Now what would it matter if the Royals and their entourages did see their homeless subjects.?
It could move them to tears and get something done. Yes?
If you are really determined to hide them how about all those arches under the Slough-Windsor railway? They could be dry and not too cold in mid-May; or maybe not. No chance!
Despite everything else I believe England is a free country, so let them be. smile
BTW; We've still not received our wedding invitations; leaving it a bit late aren't they?

Anniebach Wed 11-Apr-18 13:08:11

Queenie always gives the new wives a little something from the massive collection handed down over generations

sarahellenwhitney Wed 11-Apr-18 11:56:31

My' local' has the big screen and will be showing the cup final and for a small sum there is a buffet where the proceeds of this will go towards a charity for the homeless.

Sheilasue Wed 11-Apr-18 11:47:09

Think that is a lovely idea good luck to them both too.

maddyone Wed 11-Apr-18 11:44:40

The Soudi king decided to GIVE me.....I should be so lucky!

maddyone Wed 11-Apr-18 11:43:00

I didn’t know any of the charities that they’ve chosen until today, but thank you for the link grannyactivist, I think Scottie’s Little Soldiers sounds like a wonderful charity, and of course it will be close to Harry’s heart as a charity for bereaved children of forces personnel. Therefore it seems to me that they have probably tried to choose charities that have personal resonance with themselves. As to any jewels from places such as Soudi Arabia, well they could auction them, but since Meghan is unlikely to own any jewels, despite being a very rich woman in her own right, I wouldn’t have any problem with them keeping them, as she will undoubtedly need some spectacular jewellery for certain state events. I know she could borrow from the queen, but it would be nice to own the odd thing. Frankly, if the Soudi king decided to me jewels, I wouldn’t have anywhere to go where I could wear them grin .

Panache Wed 11-Apr-18 11:29:38

It is always pleasant to see that the young couple are truly thinking about others and by choosing charities less known which then receive less monies is brilliant.

We ourselves requested donations for our then only thought of Cancer centre in place of gifts for our Ruby Wedding anniversary a long while ago now........and we were deeply touched to find £50 in some envelopes given by pensioners and disabled...........showing their trust in what we were proposing for the future.
Pleased to add that same Cancer centre was opened in 1991 and although since has had to downsize its beautiful detached double fronted Victorian home (a donation by an extremely kind patient with terminal cancer) it has proved a God send and a real "Home from home" a sanctuary for many sufferers and their families during a most difficult time.

Hopefully this feeling of goodwill and reaching out to those most in need of a helping hand continues,well done Harry & Megan for the lovely thought
Wishing you both every future happiness.