Gransnet forums

Charities

I have signed up for the McMillan "Brave the Shave"!

(71 Posts)
phoenix Tue 17-Jul-18 22:01:49

Evening all, hope you are all doing ok.

Well, what it says in the title, really. The only person I have told is Mr P.

Tomorrow I will phone my lovely hairdresser, and ask her what "numbers" I can get away with (think a number 1 might be a bit too extreme!) then on Thursday will announce it at work, in the hope of getting some sponsors.

Tell me I'm not mad! (although I may well be grin it grows back, after all!

Stingray3139 Wed 18-Jul-18 12:46:45

Thank you Phoenix. What would this world be like without kind, caring people like you. I will definitely contribute to your 'giving page'

JanaNana Wed 18-Jul-18 11:57:48

I admire you for doing this. I finished treatment for breast cancer in May....had the works...chemo....mastectomy ....radio therapy . For me the worst of all was the chemo. The side effects were horrendous....hair loss within two weeks of first chemo...uncontrolled sickness which ended up being hospitalised. Also taste buds and sense of smell severely affected for several months, even once treatment has finished your appetite is still impaired as (a) you still have problems finding suitable foods that actually taste normal. (b) you find that foods you enjoyed pre chemo have no appeal whatsoever and can no longer tempt you. Sense of smell enhanced and some things...both food/ cleaning products/toiletries smell so strongly that you can"t bear them. Certainly no walk in the park. I think that anyone who is prepared to raise money, be it for McMillan or other Cancer charities and raise awareness of this dreadful disease should be admired, and encouraged to do so. No one knows if their own family could be affected by this at some point. PS now have hair that has grown back so, so curly it's looking like an eighties perm!

MissAdventure Wed 18-Jul-18 11:22:38

I take it as a show of empathy towards the people who have lost hair through cancer treatments.
Its a big deal, losing your hair, so for someone to be prepared to shave theirs off, well.. I think its great.
Just my opinion, of course.

youngagain Wed 18-Jul-18 11:19:23

I have been reading all your comments, especially those which say that some cancer patients are not 'happy' about people having their heads shaved as they didn't have a choice about losing their own hair during their treatment. To be honest I was talking yesterday about having my own head shaved to raise funds for LGFB. However, after reading some of your comments I am now not so sure this would be a good thing to do if it is going to offend some cancer patients as that is obviously the last thing I would want to do.

moxeyns Wed 18-Jul-18 11:15:19

Sorry, but I think it's very strange to feel upset/offended by this kind of action. What does it matter whether a supporter has a choice or not? They're doing it to raise money for the cause, not to denigrate a sufferer's experience in any way.

You go, Phoenix - good for you!

starbox Wed 18-Jul-18 11:15:04

Yes, I do get that, Rachifagran, it kind of makes a big thing of the baldness, which I'm sure most cancer sufferers do their best to disguise. As a former epilepsy sufferer (who didnt want to shout about it!) it's like someone inducing a seizure in themselves to raise funds for the illness.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Jul-18 10:48:54

Well, you can't please everyone all of the time.

rafichagran Wed 18-Jul-18 10:44:57

My friend is a cancer surviver, and when someone had their head shaved at work for sponsorship
she was both very upset and offended. She said these people have a choice, she did not.
Sorry, but there are other ways you can help. I really do not agree with this, as I can see totally what she is saying and how she felt.

youngagain Wed 18-Jul-18 10:43:50

Hi Joelsnan and anyone else who is affected by cancer. I am in my 7th year of remission from Cancer of Unknown Primary and doing well. When undergoing my chemo after my op, I was told about the charity Look Good Feel Better which has been going in this country since 1994, but is the only cancer charity to be operating in 26 countries throughout the world. LGFB holds workshops for ladies, teenagers and now the men in various (105 at the moment) centres throughout the UK, Channel Islands and Northern Ireland. The chances are very good that there are workshops being held near you. LGFB is the Beauty Industry's official charity and each year our member companies donate hundreds of thousands of products which are packed into goody bags to be given to the recipients at the workshops - free of charge. They contain skincare, makeup and a luxury body product/perfume. Our aim is to help each person look like themselves again, which gives back some control over appearance and helps with self-confidence and self-esteem. We show everyone how to e.g. give the illusion of eyelashes, how to put eyebrows back in the right place etc. and try and help with concerns the recipient may have about their appearance. If you don't feel able to attend a workshop, you can always go into one of the larger department stores e.g. Boots or Debenhams and ask to speak to one of the LGFB representatives. Debenhams are now training their staff for LGFB, and those who have taken our training will be wearing a small, round pink badge with Look Good Feel Better on it. I know I have mentioned this on here before but as you can probably guess I am really passionate about this Charity. Having qualified as a Beauty Therapist years ago, I was able to give back to LGFB by volunteering for them at the workshop and then became the Regional Co-ordinator for the Portsmouth area. If anyone would like more information, or would like to know where their nearest workshops are held, please go to:

www.lgfb.co.uk

Joelsnan and anyone else affected by cancer, I hope all goes well for you.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Jul-18 10:42:37

My daughter didn't have time to feel offended; she was too busy battling.

Elrel Wed 18-Jul-18 10:28:10

Today friend’s 16 year old is having her thigh length shiny brown hair cut off. Both the hair and sponsorship donations are going to support children with cancer.

kwest Wed 18-Jul-18 10:25:46

May I offer a note of caution? A lady in my village shaved her head to fund raise for a charity. Some people who had previously lost their hair to chemotherapy treatments were very offended. They had no choice in losing their hair to save their lives. They felt that to shave one's head as a 'gimic' to raise money was insensitive in the extreme. Just saying!

starbox Wed 18-Jul-18 10:23:47

Well, if you feel motivated to do it, good for you. Personally I'd rather give a donation and keep the hair, but we're all different!

trisher Wed 18-Jul-18 10:13:35

I did wonder how people with cancer viewed this. I can see that the 'brave' description might upset some of them, they after all go through the process when they are ill and having treatment with horrendous side effects. My friend's daughter recently lost her hair while undergoing treatment. She looked absolutely stunning without it, but she needed a lot of support before she believed that. I hope most people will accept this in the spirit of support I am sure it was intended to show. Well done to you for taking part phoenix

annodomini Wed 18-Jul-18 10:12:37

What a brave move, phoenix. No, you aren't mad - just very generous. I'll contribute to your 'just giving' page once you have set it up. ?

Annapops Wed 18-Jul-18 10:00:35

What an incredible thing to do. I wish I was brave enough and I am sure you will be well supported. Cancer has recently invaded my own family. DIL is being treated for breast cancer presently and the effect it is having upon her and everyone else is tremendous both physically and emotionally. Any funds for any cancer charity have my full support. Well done to you.

Beau Wed 18-Jul-18 09:45:46

Well done Phoenix and well done DGD of Oopsadaisy53, managing to help her friend immediately and other children as well - that's quite a thing for a 14 year old to do ?

DanniRae Wed 18-Jul-18 09:13:06

What an amazing thing to do phoenix. Well done YOU!!

Luckygirl Wed 18-Jul-18 09:12:25

Joelsnan - good luck with your chemo. I am fascinated by people who can make scarves stay on their heads, so sympathise with your problem!

Good luck too tophoenix - can't wait to see the pics!

Oopsadaisy53 Wed 18-Jul-18 09:04:27

Forgot to say that GDs long hair was sent to be made into wigs via the Little Princess Trust. The money was sent direct to the child’s family to help her last days via GoFundMe.

Cherrytree59 Wed 18-Jul-18 09:00:21

Woke up this morning with a blooming
big mouth ulcer feeling sorry for myself, your thread Phoenix has reminded me how lucky I am!
And Grans you made laugh out loudsmile

Well done Pheonix Your a ?
pledge gives a nice sheen

Doodle Wed 18-Jul-18 00:46:48

Well I think it's supportive. Good luck phoenix.

SueDonim Wed 18-Jul-18 00:34:55

I admire people's desire to contribute but I'm surprised this type of fund-raising is still going on. There has been bad publicity about it from some cancer patients.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brave-the-shave-cancer-sufferers-macmillan-fundraiser-offensive-facil-a7225126.html

MissAdventure Tue 17-Jul-18 23:16:46

I'm sure you'll rock the look. (Hark at me getting all trendy!)

phoenix Tue 17-Jul-18 23:14:30

Photos there will be, merlot!

God knows if I have a "nice looking head" MissAdventure the rest of me isn't up to much and I'm past caring! grin

Speaking to my hairdresser tomorrow, and will be speaking to all at work on Thursday (who hopefully understand why I'm doing it it) and will then post updates on here!